View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 10:48 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
VT, I do my trip planning on Google Earth. It's easy to measure distances along a line or along a path. Google Earth doesn't show any additional information about harbors beyond a sky view picture, but if you use Active Captain you can find TONS of info about the ports, notes on getting into them, what services are provided, etc. Also they post reviews of the facilities by boaters who have been there. It's invaluable when trip planning.

One loooong day you might have is coming down the WA coast. There are a couple of intermediary harbors between Neah Bay and the Columbia River so they will cut down your night travel.

I do have an Excel spreadsheet that I put together before taking that trip that you might want to see. It has a mileage chart for all the ports on the way down the coast (as far as San Francisco) and a workpage that has some notes about what is available at the ports. The material was obtained from Active Captain and it's a couple of years old but it should give you a good base of information.

PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Mike