Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dean Ranger is not as nice looking as most of the other forestry/fisheries boats I've seen. I think it's because of that rather awkward looking (to me) sheer of the forward section.

Last edited:
Strumpet is one of the few "kit boats" that Nordic Tugs released in their early history. Northern Spy is an owner finished boat as well, although the owner hired Cove Yachts in Maple Bay to do the work.

Marin great pics.

I haven't seen a Vulcan yet at all. I love that shank. But that big lead wedge under the fluke is probably a guarantee of limited penetration. If it had a flat back I don't even think I could pound it into a beach w a 20 lb sledge hammer. Not promising ... better stick w your Rocna.

Saw these a little while ago today in the Anacortes shipyard. The first one is longline cod boat to a Norwegian design. It is almost totally automated--- the crew is very small an nobody works on deck. The lines are baited automatically, the lines let out, and the lines are retrieved automatically through what are apparently called "moon pools" in the bottom of the boat. They are pulled in through wells that are about midway between the main house and the forecabin structure. The reason we were given is that this means the fish never reach and break the surface, which is when the orcas strip them off the lines. The ship uses pod drives. The primary species fished for is cod although they are allowed to keep other similar types of fish. But not halibut--- they must be released.

The second vessel is a freighter designed to carry freshly processed fish from places like Dutch Harbor to Seattle.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439077850.287121.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439077868.530209.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439077891.404874.jpg

Saw these a little while ago today in the Anacortes shipyard. The first one is longline cod boat to a Norwegian design. It is almost totally automated--- the crew is very small an nobody works on deck. The lines are baited automatically, the lines let out, and the lines are retrieved automatically through what are apparently called "moon pools" in the bottom of the boat. They are pulled in through wells that are about midway between the main house and the forecabin structure. The reason we were given is that this means the fish never reach and break the surface, which is when the orcas strip them off the lines. The ship uses pod drives. The primary species fished for is cod although they are allowed to keep other similar types of fish. But not halibut--- they must be released.

The second vessel is a freighter designed to carry freshly processed fish from places like Dutch Harbor to Seattle.

View attachment 42997View attachment 42998View attachment 42999

The boats' noses taint go nutten on Jimmy Durante

View attachment 42997View attachment 42998View attachment 42999

Wow that's a beauty right there. Love the wheel house design.

Wow that's a beauty right there. Love the wheel house design.

That's what I was looking at. I wonder why they went with an asymmetrical design like that. They must always tie up starboard side to.

This yard, Dakota Creek, has built several ships recently that are like this. They don't design them so I suspect it's a new "thing" in ship design. Two of their newbuilds, the oceanographic research vessels Sally Ride and Neil Armstrong are currently undergoing testing. They, too, have some asymmetrical elements in their superstructure design.

Last edited:
A 72' Marlowe entering Camden, ME, this evening.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 92
Wayfarer Marine's dock in back ground I presume...

Yes. But is now (recent purchase) owned by Lyman Morse.

Yes. But is now (recent purchase) owned by Lyman Morse.

Of the 1960's/70's Dr. Morse of Camden family? I dated Serena a few times. They lived on the street leading to Wayfarer. Chris Morse is a photo artist... now, 63 +/-yrs. age. Good old-time, long-term friend of mine. - Art

No need to answer my question above...

Interesting company: http://www.lymanmorse.com/history

Last edited:
Eric--- I took the photos of Dean Ranger mainly because it was the first boat I've seen a with a Rocna Vulcan anchor. Then this morning when we walked over to the next slip to have breakfast with our friends on their lobsterboat I noticed that the sailboat across from us had a big new Vulcan on the bow. The one on Dean Ranger still had the barcode sticker on it. So that's two I've seen now, both of them brand new. I don't know who's selling them in this area.

Marin,
Fisheries Supply I'm quite sure. The're pushing Rocna's and doing very well at it. I really do like that Vulcan shank but not the bulky ballasted "tip". Think you're roll bar is better than that. But as you know I don't think roll bars are ideal.

This old girl has been cruising my creek this summer. I have to get out the binoculars and admire her every time she goes by.

Attachments

• DSCN4985.jpg
    DSCN4985.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 170
Vera nice old boat Lurker. I'd be wip'in up my binocs too. I'll bet she didn't have that FB and sunshade originally. Dosn't seem to suffer visually from it as most do. The majority of boats (and cars) used to be mostly sedans. We have a beautiful example on our float .. pure sedan this one. My boat is not very sedan looking but it is a sedan. Originally had a FB.

Craig,
Two short comments does not constitute a hijack. Is this thread "interesting boats" or "weird boats"? Much of the later lately.

This old girl has been cruising my creek this summer. I have to get out the binoculars and admire her every time she goes by.

Basically a duplicate we cruised New England in for couple decades 1960's/70's.

Fly bridge was original from 1950 build-out

37 foot fisher

This is a test in the process of leaning to post photos. This is a photo of the 37 foot fisher trawler not the 37 foot motor sailer. This photo shows the four foot extension to the stern.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0447.jpg
    IMG_0447.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 111
This wonderful Calvin Beal (I think) Lobster Boat is a few spaces down from me. I've been getting to know the ol' timer who owns it, an 81 yr old boat builder/lobsterman and trying to get him to start taking me out and teaching me the ropes of lobstering.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439390487.346228.jpg

This wonderful Calvin Beal (I think) Lobster Boat is a few spaces down from me. I've been getting to know the ol' timer who owns it, an 81 yr old boat builder/lobsterman and trying to get him to start taking me out and teaching me the ropes of lobstering.

View attachment 43116

Nice lobster boat design. Love those diamond windows/port holes.

You stated correctly... there are ropes galore in Lobstering - lol. Early 1970's I crewed for a while in Maine off Rockport and Camden harbors. Still have several Lobster men as great friends. Cool, rugged bunch of folks!

53 ft Cheoy Lee .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 277

View attachment 43116
Whoa man this Calvin Beal is sweet .

The lobsterboat in 82 is beautiful indeed.
The low freeboard aft is very well suited to the job but I can't see the need for the extremely high bow. Everybody loves a sweepy sheer line though .. me included. It says to me commercial and industrial things can be subject to style and fad also.

Marty,
Re the Cheoy Lee do they still call that type of boat a "houseboat"?

Eric ,not sure about the houseboat thing , but I would trade our old 110 year old house that we rebuilt for that Cheoy Lee and call it my new home . Don't think Joy would though .:flowers:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 245
Re the Cheoy Lee do they still call that type of boat a "houseboat"?

I don't recall Cheoy Lee using that name, but there was a Trumpy "houseboat" at a recent Lake Union boat show. Very...vintage feeling. Looked like a huge money pit, and that would be after an expensive renovation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom