Greetings, and advice on heading south

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterDog

Vessel Name
WaterDog
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 44
Hello new friends ...

I'm currently living aboard in Annapolis, and thinking about heading to warmer climes for the winter. I'm still working, and need a location within reasonable distance (<an hour) of a major airport having good non-stop service throughout he country. I'm thinking this probably limits us to the space coast (Orlando) or south Florida. Am I missing any important options? We'd like to find a good live aboard community, decent shopping and restaurants, and access to some culture. This will likely be a winter stay, followed by a return north in the spring.

This will be our first trip south, so any and all advice, however basic, is welcome. Would appreciate location and marina suggestions, advice about good research resources (aside from this site, of course!), etc.

Thank you!

Jacksonville and Tampa both have major airports. Most cities in FL are within 1.5 hours of a major airport. The exception may be in northwest FL.

Something I forgot to mention...if you really want shorts, thirty and swimming weather...Canaveral is about as far north as you want to be. Ft Pierce is even a little better and is where I have wound up the last 2 winters and found it to be the beginning of sub tropical.....just barely.

Remember....highway travel is fast...it's the getting in and out of places that slow you down. So being close to an airport isn't as much of a key is access to fast roads and an airport that meets your needs but isn't buried in congestion.

Remember....highway travel is fast...it's the getting in and out of places that slow you down. So being close to an airport isn't as much of a key is access to fast roads and an airport that meets your needs but isn't buried in congestion.

Haha. Fast highway travel in FL in the winter...not so much. For the most part, the roads are decent from mid April through mid November. In our town, about 50% of the population is snow birds. They clog the highways, cause long waits at restaurants and there is an ungodly number of them that like to use the left lane and go 20MPH below the speed limit. Truly paradise lost.

Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart, FL meets all your criteria. We will be there for our fourth season this fall and we love it. Easy access to everything you need, beautifully kept, big live aboard community.

Howard

Haha. Fast highway travel in FL in the winter...not so much. For the most part, the roads are decent from mid April through mid November. In our town, about 50% of the population is snow birds. They clog the highways, cause long waits at restaurants and there is an ungodly number of them that like to use the left lane and go 20MPH below the speed limit. Truly paradise lost.

Hmm, wonder if the economy feels the same. :lol:

Not as warm, or far south, but Charleston is a good spot. We're headed there ourselves in about two months.
Close and easy airport, and the town is a good walking spot.

How about Monroe Harbor Marina in downtown Sanford. Slip fees are relatively cheap. The boat is in fresh water. The Orlando airport is about 20 miles away.

David

Based on your avatar...are you a snowbird?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate your thoughts.

Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom