Jabsco PAR flange mount bilge blower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
My Jabsco PAR flange mount bilge blower is "deceased". According to the spec sheet online, these are evidently designed for intermittent duty cycles. If used for longer duty cycles, they evidently don't last more than 1,000 hrs. The PO turned it on prior to engine startup, turning it off 10 minutes or so after the engine shutdown.

Should I: 1) replace with a similar unit 2) get something more beefy, or 3) don't bother with a fan?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

If for no other reason you need a blower to suck out the charging fumes from the batteries. Plus if it runs all the time the engine is running it helps to hold the temps down. Not to mention the blowby fumes. A continuous rating is better than intermittent.

Just redesigned my engine room ventilation. Got some real nice Spal fans(don't have to pay for the Jabsco name). I Bought 4off them 12 volt 17.5amp 454cuft each continuous duty fans from SurplusCenter.com 1-800-488-3407 for $40 each Part #16-1406.

Real well made and unbelievable quiet...
Check there website.

Just redesigned my engine room ventilation. Got some real nice Spal fans(don't have to pay for the Jabsco name). I Bought 4off them 12 volt 17.5amp 454cuft each continuous duty fans from SurplusCenter.com 1-800-488-3407 for $40 each Part #16-1406.

Real well made and unbelievable quiet...
Check there website.

I saw this one and it might fit with my current setup, but it draws 22 amps!

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Electr...FM-12-VDC-SPAL-004-A41-285-BLOWER-16-1512.axd

Jim

"The PO turned it on prior to engine startup, turning it off 10 minutes or so after the engine shutdown."

Sounds like the PO was used to gasoline engines. That procedure sounds like what your supposed to do when starting a gasoline engine on a boat. The idea is to remove gasoline fumes before starting the engine. Once the engine starts, you can turn off the blower as the engine will be sucking in any remaining fumes. This is not an issue on diesel boats.

Has anyone done the math to figure out how many cubic feet of air a running diesel sucks in per minute?

14 liter (855 cubic inch) cummins exhausts 2225 cubic feet per min at 2100 RPM so about 2.6 cubic feet of exhaust per cubic inch of displacement at 2100 RPM. Based on 14 to 1 compression. Other 4 stroke diesels should be around there someplace.

Evidently the Jabsco 35760 is intended for a continuous duty cycle.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/jabsco-heavy-duty-flangemount-blowers-35760-0094

Jim

Jim: Did you mean the 12 VDC blower which is part number part#: 35760-0092? It has a 5,000 hr motor, rated for continuous duty, draws 11 amps and the air flow is 250 CFM. This is the one we have and use it to help draw the heat out of the engine at the end of a day or when I'm painting the engine. It does suck out a lot of air. On line you can find them for less than $200 and you don't have to do any engine room modifications for the change out (or we didn't anyway). :)

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/357X0_43000-0673.pdf

Last edited:
You do not need a engine room blower on a diesel boat.

As Hopcar indicated they are a necessary thing on gasoline boats but not on diesels.

As Hopcar indicated they are a necessary thing on gasoline boats but not on diesels.

The admiral is concerned about the fumes from the charging batteries. Another thought is to cool down the ER, but that's pretty difficult unless you run the thing for a long period after engine shutdown. But I agree, it's need is somewhat limited.

Yes Larry, that was the one, I believe. I meant the 12 V model. Perhaps the 24 V one came up.

Jim

The admiral is concerned about the fumes from the charging batteries. Another thought is to cool down the ER, but that's pretty difficult unless you run the thing for a long period after engine shutdown. But I agree, it's need is somewhat limited.

Yes Larry, that was the one, I believe. I meant the 12 V model. Perhaps the 24 V one came up.

Jim

OK Jim

If you are charging batteries while on the hook remember that your generator moves a fair amount of air through the engine room.

I'm not going to show my wife this thread, or I'll have to run the noisy blower as well. :eek:

My Cape Dory owners manual suggests it is for exhausting heat after shut-down...Makes sense, as Hopcar mentions, the diesel air needs likely circulate things just fine when running..

I have always had good luck with Johnson Pumps AirV series marine blowers.

full11_914380-47417-blower-flange-mount.jpg

They are rated for continuous operation, double ball bearings, ss shaft etc. etc. They also carry every marine rating you could ever want, and are ignition protected if you are venting battery compartments or areas where potentially explosive gasses or vapors could exist. :thumb:

OK Jim

If you are charging batteries while on the hook remember that your generator moves a fair amount of air through the engine room.

I'm not going to show my wife this thread, or I'll have to run the noisy blower as well. :eek:

Ok so you DDDOOO have a blower then. LOL.

Heron: there was an earlier thread that discussed whether an exhaust fan was effective for removing heat from the ER, given the large amount of heat tied up in a hot engine. I don't leave my blower on a long time after shut down as it uses as much power from the batteries as the fridge and freezer units

Jim

Heron: there was an earlier thread that discussed whether an exhaust fan was effective for removing heat from the ER, given the large amount of heat tied up in a hot engine. I don't leave my blower on a long time after shut down as it uses as much power from the batteries as the fridge and freezer units

I actually don't use mine at all as my engine room is well insulated, and my Volvo runs fairly cool..

A friend of mine with too much money, air conditioned his engine room. Sure is nice to work in there.

A friend of mine with too much money, air conditioned his engine room. Sure is nice to work in there.

WOW AC in the engine room

We run ours after shutdown and they are noisy not sure what brand but am curious will check next time down on the boat

not sure if hydrogen sticks around long enough to be an issue unless you have a very tight engine room/bilge area or pockets where it can collect.

With a bazillion years of boating and cruising here on TF...anyone hear of a boat exploding from hydrogen? Not just the battery box/case...but the engine room?

You can always do what is suggested...airtight your battery boxes ad vent to the boat's exterior also if such a worry.

14 liter (855 cubic inch) cummins exhausts 2225 cubic feet per min at 2100 RPM so about 2.6 cubic feet of exhaust per cubic inch of displacement at 2100 RPM. Based on 14 to 1 compression. Other 4 stroke diesels should be around there someplace.

It doesn't work that way ...

A general rule of thumb is that a diesel will exhaust about 3 times the volume of its intake.

For example, a CAT C9 350HP TA producing 250 hp at 1200 rpm will exhaust 1285 cfm while the intake flow is 416 cfm.

At full power of 350 hp at 2200 rpm it will exhaust 2217 cfm with an intake of 893 cfm.

Most engines have a spec sheet that lists maximums. There's often a spec for maximum air in take. My 4045 JD draws 258 cfm at 2,400 rpm. Should be around 170 cfm at cruise.

Ted

My Hatteras came OEM equipped with a DC suction blower in each ER ducted to the battery boxes on the floor below. Specific instructions in the manual said to run them a few minutes before starting the engines (Detroit Diesel) , and if running below "cruising speed" , so we always run them because never put the boat on plane for any long period of time. They also specifically stated NOT to run them when fueling. The boat also came equipped with an A.C. suction blower in each ER, ducted to the cieling to cool things a bit when working in there.

we always run them because never put the boat on plane for any long period of time. They also specifically stated NOT to run them when fueling.

I run my blowers whenever the engines are running and for about 4 hours after. That said, even without the blowers, my engine room temperature remains less than 10 degrees F above ambient when the engines are above 1000 rpm, and I tend to cruise at 1060 rpm. I suspect that if you don't want to run your blowers all the time, you may not need them at your normal cruise rpm.

As for not running while fueling, I can't imagine the logic. I typically keep my blowers on while refueling because by the time I get to a fuel dock, the engines have been running long enough to become two hot potatoes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom