Rudder Angle Indicator on Flybridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I have a VDO rudder angle indicator in the pilothouse along with the Furuno FAP-55 autopilot, but I have nothing on the flybridge. I assume the VDO sender is a single station since I only have the one gauge. I tried to see if there was a model number on it, but couldn't see any numbers at all. I'm sure it is original to the boat...1991.

I suppose I could replace the sender with a dual station. Does anyone know if I will have to replace the old gauge in the Pilothouse if I get a new sender?

I think I could also add a remote rudder angle indicator to the autopilot. From my research, I think I need an FAP-6500 gauge, but I can't find even a reference to one online. Any suggestions for somewhere to look for old instruments?

Finally, any other ideas for getting rudder info up to flybridge?

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

My KK54 has what I assume to be original VDO rudder angle indicators. It has one in the pilothouse and one at the upper helm (doesn't qualify as a flybridge!) I can see if I can find a part number of the sensor if you like. Won't be back to the boat for a couple of days.

Richard

Finally, any other ideas for getting rudder info up to flybridge?
I'm not familiar with your model AP but mine (on the fly bridge) incorporates a rudder indicator which I refer to quite often.

Attachments

• Rudder Indicator.jpg
    Rudder Indicator.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 199
My KK54 has what I assume to be original VDO rudder angle indicators. It has one in the pilothouse and one at the upper helm (doesn't qualify as a flybridge!) I can see if I can find a part number of the sensor if you like. Won't be back to the boat for a couple of days.

Richard

Thanks Richard. That would be great. I tried to find one on mine, but couldn't.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

I'm not familiar with your model AP but mine (on the fly bridge) incorporates a rudder indicator which I refer to quite often.

Mine does have a rudder indicator, but it's in the pilothouse. If I could find what I think is a remote indicator, I could put that on the FB. But I don't know where to get one.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Thanks Richard. That would be great. I tried to find one on mine, but couldn't.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Ok - well I'm not sure if I'll have any more luck than you. But I'll try.

Richard

Ok - well I'm not sure if I'll have any more luck than you. But I'll try.

Richard

I saw VDO stamped on it but nothing else.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Mike,

I've got a VDO at both helms but only have one sender on my rudder linkage. Next time on the boat, I'll look for a model number or other useful info. I might even have the manual from the PO install. It might be at least a week, though.

Can you find another AP control unit? According to the installation manual https://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocuments/FAP55%20Installation%20and%20Set%20Up.pdf on page 11 of the PDF (which is page 8 of the manual) tells how to hook up another panel. Seems pretty easy. (other than routing the cable) That way you would have not just a RAI but a full control.

Look further down on page 29 of the PDF. Shows exactly how to do what you want with just a RAI. I suppose the trick would be to find a compatible RAI. A good electronics tech (or Furuno themselves) would know.

Looking around, You seem to already know it's about impossible to find these parts. On the off chance you could try a separate analog RAI, use a Meter and measure the voltage on the RAI in use, to document what it uses. Then do a search for newer RAIs that use the same voltage. I can't discern what voltage the RAIs use for signal by the manual. They do have to have their own separate power supply though.

Any resale or marine consignment stores near you? I know of two up in RI and CT.

Do you have any nema2000 stuff on the FB? May be easier to get a sender for nema 2000 RAI and send it up to the top deck separately.

Last edited:
Mike,

I've got a VDO at both helms but only have one sender on my rudder linkage. Next time on the boat, I'll look for a model number or other useful info. I might even have the manual from the PO install. It might be at least a week, though.

Thanks! No rush.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Can you find another AP control unit? According to the installation manual https://www.furunousa.com/ProductDocuments/FAP55 Installation and Set Up.pdf on page 11 of the PDF (which is page 8 of the manual) tells how to hook up another panel. Seems pretty easy. (other than routing the cable) That way you would have not just a RAI but a full control.

Look further down on page 29 of the PDF. Shows exactly how to do what you want with just a RAI. I suppose the trick would be to find a compatible RAI. A good electronics tech (or Furuno themselves) would know.

Looking around, You seem to already know it's about impossible to find these parts. On the off chance you could try a separate analog RAI, use a Meter and measure the voltage on the RAI in use, to document what it uses. Then do a search for newer RAIs that use the same voltage. I can't discern what voltage the RAIs use for signal by the manual. They do have to have their own separate power supply though.

Any resale or marine consignment stores near you? I know of two up in RI and CT.

Do you have any nema2000 stuff on the FB? May be easier to get a sender for nema 2000 RAI and send it up to the top deck separately.

One of our dock mates suggested I call Trident Marine in Norfolk to see if they have a compatible RAI. I'm going to do that today. The Furuno RAI I have now is not separate. It is part of the control unit.

We do have a consignment shop here in Hampton. I'll check there. Thanks for the suggestion.

I just installed a Raymarine A98 MFD on the flybridge, so that is another option.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

So no AP control at all on the FB?

We have a wired remote for the AP with a plug in the pilothouse and on the FB.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

I got a reply from the VDO Tech folks. My gauge is no longer made. My sender only supplies one gauge. So I would need a new dual station sender and two new gauges. All together only a few hundred dollars, so that is not too bad. Now my question is whether I can reuse the wiring from the old sender to the new gauges, or do I need to run all new wire?

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

My pet peeve with VDO is lack of info. You have to install a dual sender and both gauges must be the same. I originally fitted a new double sender and a large guage on the bridge and a smaller one on the flybridge. After many hours of checking wiring etc and head scratching they would not work, I poured of every bit of info available. After some months of frustration I came across a tech on line from a distributor who advised me both gauges Must be the same. To date I cannot get them to read correctly or center. My next step is to rewire all one wire guage up in case of volt loss. Very disappointed in there manuals, info, etc

My pet peeve with VDO is lack of info. You have to install a dual sender and both gauges must be the same. I originally fitted a new double sender and a large guage on the bridge and a smaller one on the flybridge. After many hours of checking wiring etc and head scratching they would not work, I poured of every bit of info available. After some months of frustration I came across a tech on line from a distributor who advised me both gauges Must be the same. To date I cannot get them to read correctly or center. My next step is to rewire all one wire guage up in case of volt loss. Very disappointed in there manuals, info, etc
The older VDOS work with 2 kinds of guages...I have the older square style bezel ones below and a new Faria on the flybridge. Works normally.

Faria did say their new stuff was more finicky...but the senders are just srandards ohm resistance type ones and if the guage works with that range....any guage manufacturer will work.

Faria tech said their new guages wouldn't work with their old senders...but I never fully investigated that.

I think I got this resistance chart from their website for water temp senders....

Attachments

• vdo.jpg
    vdo.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Faria tech said their new guages wouldn't work with their old senders...but I never fully investigated that.

Our original Faria water temp (coolant temp) gauges were compatible with Teleflex senders, which (at least at the time) used a single wire -- for signal, no separate ground wire from the sender.

Happened to stumble across a mis-match, in that our engines are delivered with VDO senders... two wires, one signal and one ground... and the boat maker didn't change senders... so our gauges were always incorrect. Consistent, but wrong.

Anyway, maybe Faria has since changed their senders somehow. During my troubleshooting, trying to pick the right menu option for the new CruzPro didgital gauges I installed to replace the Farias... I found at least three different VDO sender formats which apparently evolved over time... so had to do some trial and error to figure out which one was actually accurate for our real temps.

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom