Panama City FL shooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a couple of the local news reports. Alot of conflicting info in initial reports. Hopefully a full account will eventually come out.
Certainly makes me look at boardings differently now. When I was last boarded by CG for a routine inspection two guys came on board with weapons. One at a time boarded. Two others with weapons in hand had eyes on everyone on board. It did not bother me but it seemed a bit overkill given it was all my family members. Seeing this will make it easy to explain to my family why they board this way.

FWC Officer Shot in Panama City - WEAR - Pensacola Top Stories - ABC

Panhandle wildlife officer shot; 2 arrested | News - Home

A question for LEO's on this forum; In FL it is legal for anyone legally allowed to own a handgun to store that handgun in the unlocked glove compartment of their car. I do not have a handgun normally stowed in my glove box, but I do have my insurance and car registration located there. Knowing that it is legal to stow a handgun in the glove compartment of a car is it prudent during a traffic stop to wait until the officer requests such documents and then explain to him their location before reaching for the glove box?
Opinions??

A question for LEO's on this forum; In FL it is legal for anyone legally allowed to own a handgun to store that handgun in the unlocked glove compartment of their car. I do not have a handgun normally stowed in my glove box, but I do have my insurance and car registration located there. Knowing that it is legal to stow a handgun in the glove compartment of a car is it prudent during a traffic stop to wait until the officer requests such documents and then explain to him their location before reaching for the glove box?
Opinions??

Yes and yes.
Reference: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;

(5)POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

An unlocked glovebox has been deemed lawful since it can generally not be accessed by a "furtive movement" ( A Furtive Movement Can Get You Killed - USA Carry ), ( What is FURTIVE? definition of FURTIVE (Black's Law Dictionary) ).
The center console OTOH, can in fact be accessed by such movement, and the officer not be aware that you've now accessed the weapon.

Yes to unlocked glovebox.
No to Unlocked Center Console (must be locked).
Yes...please wait until asked for your registration if you keep it there, and not while they're approaching your vehicle. If asked, tell them there is a weapon present.
You'll be glad you did:D

OD

Here are a couple of the local news reports. Alot of conflicting info in initial reports. Hopefully a full account will eventually come out.
Certainly makes me look at boardings differently now. When I was last boarded by CG for a routine inspection two guys came on board with weapons. One at a time boarded. Two others with weapons in hand had eyes on everyone on board. It did not bother me but it seemed a bit overkill given it was all my family members. Seeing this will make it easy to explain to my family why they board this way.

FWC Officer Shot in Panama City - WEAR - Pensacola Top Stories - ABC

Panhandle wildlife officer shot; 2 arrested | News - Home

Thanks

Last sentence was meant to say I didn't think he boarded the sailboat.

I agree that if sitting in his boat tied up alongside...and a gunman appears on deck firing down into the typical F&G boat....hopping over the far gunnel may have been what popped into his mind first.

Thanks.

I'm sure it did, along with several OH CRAP!:eek:thoughts.

Still not sure on the boarding, and not sure he'd be tied off.
Sometimes better off to leave it out of gear and just toss a line over a cleat.:thumb:

I would be shocked if the officer boarded the sail boat.

One officer trying to handle his boat, while trying to stand off the other boat, and watching the people on the other boat is likely what allowed the officer to be ambushed. Too much for one person to do at one time.

It would not surprise me if the sail boat gave the suspects a height advantage. Jumping into the water may have been the quickest way out of the line of fire and getting some cover and/or concealment. Or the W/O fell into the water when he moved to get find some cover/concealment.

The report will be interesting.

Later,
Dan

Dan,

I'd say you're pretty well spot on with your thoughts.
My guess was either it was an oh crap panic reaction, or he may have lost his footing and fallen before or after being shot. They haven't said if he was shot prior to or after he went in the water that I've seen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom