best epoxy wood to fiberglass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
What is the best epoxy/adhesive to affix a wood post to fiberglass? *The floor in the forward head of our trawler has had a very minor amount of give in it....not much...a guest would probably not even notice it, but I can feel it. *I am not sure if it is an after market alteration that was done but long story short, one of the floor joists for the forward stateroom/head was cut to allow a recessed fiberglass pan for a built in shower that sits below the teak grate floor of the forward head. *When that joist was cut a 4x4 post was glued to the underside of the joist and then glued or epoxy to the bottom of the hull. *Where the post meets the hull the epoxy/glue has come loose, allowing the post to move slightly and thus the slight amount of give in the floor. *What epoxy/adhesive would you use to cement the post again? **I am going to look at it some more next time I am up at the boat (we went today with the entire family and the dog so didn't have time to ponder it much) to see if I can just reorient the framing and not have to rely on any epoxy at all to hold it but thought I'd see what you all would use in an application as this. *I guess some simple 5200 would hold it, eh?!

5200 would be my first choice.

I'm a big fan of West System.* They pioneered this stuff and their stuff works.* If it was me I'd mix in some colloidal filler and use that as glue.* Ideally with West System you want to have raw wood that the resin can penetrate.* You coat the wood and let the resin penetrate the wood and then you mix the same resin into a paste with whatever filler you prefer and use that as a glue.* As long as you do the 2nd application within something like 24 hours it will chemically bond to the initial resin application.* Where you are joining to cured FBG all you are going to get is a mechanical adhesion so you need to rough that surface up as much as you can.* If you can't get to bare wood then you will*have to rough that surface as well.

DCBD wrote:

It would also be my first choice if it would never have to be separated again.* If not it would be 3m 4200 because it is much easier to remove.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would also be my first choice if it would never have to be separated again. If not it would be 3m 4200 because it is much easier to remove.

Yes Don, you're exactly right. Once 5200 gets a grip, it doesn't like to let go.

Mike wrote:

When you say "floor" I'm guessing you mean sole?

When you say "floor joist" I'm guessing you're referring to a transverse support for the sole?

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.
Yes and yes.

I guess Woodsong and I are in a league of our own! Perhaps someday I will have all this boating terminology down. For all you "experts" out there, please be patient.

Ray

It's my former builder days...I see a horizontal support member and it's a joist, DESPITE the fact that Popeye IS my middle name! ;)

I would also use West Systems epoxy, thickened to peanut butter consistancy.

Preparation matters more than what kind of glue you use. Even a non-nautical PL440 construction adhesive will work, with adequate preparation. Mike still has the best advice, live with it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom