50 amp ac / 30amp house- Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevefon

I have a 50 amp service for air condition and 30 amp for house. currently my marina has both 50 and 30 at dock so I'm ok there.

Question is....for marinas that only have 50 amp service can i spilt it to service both my ac and house?

thanks

Steve

If you split a 50 amp 110 volt service. There wont be the 80 amps total that you now have available. Better to use two 50 amp shore power receptacles with a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter for your one 30 amp cord.

Ted

Most marinas have 50 amp 240 volt service that can be split with a Marinco splitter into two 30 amp 120 V outputs. 50 amp 120 V is unusual.

But in any case the answer to your question I no.

David

I would think the OP is not exactly correct...the way it is worded I suspect the understanding of the subject is not enough to accurately describe what is going on.

If accurate I stand coreected...but I have never seen a 50 amp 125 service in my entire boating career. I see 50 amp 125 service on boats..but never docks. Probably more common at private docks.

If the OP plugs into a 50 amp 125/250 service on the dock...he could use a 50 to 2-50A legs and an adapter from 50 to 30 on one leg to meet the boat requirements.

I would have to see the set up to make an absolute statement but I am guessing as I am not sure of the original info.

I think psneeld's answer is the one i was looking for. With a single 50/250 service i could run the ac's and house. I might have to limit my ac draw. I have 3 on board. I assume my marina has 50/250v.

I wonder why that is. Mine has 50A, 125 and I have to use an adapter to hook it to the dock.

Older boats like mine have 50/125 Marinas use to have this set up

I think psneeld's answer is the one i was looking for. With a single 50/250 service i could run the ac's and house. I might have to limit my ac draw. I have 3 on board. I assume my marina has 50/250v.

Yes you should be able to run everything. And depending on the size of your A/C units you could run all three. You'll have two 50a legs after all.

our marina has 50amp/125 outlets,found out the hard way when a dock mate had a 50amp 125/250 splitter to two 30amp. Tried for several minutes to plug it in getting frustrated over my inability to plug in a cord. Finally dock mate noticed the difference.:face palm: outlet was labeled 30amp,When I asked the harbor master about it he said oh those were all changed from 30amp to 50 amp years ago, we just never changed the labels :banghead:

If accurate I stand coreected...but I have never seen a 50 amp 125 service in my entire boating career. I see 50 amp 125 service on boats..but never docks. Probably more common at private dock.

Our NY State Park marina is all 50A 125V and it not all that uncommon in the NE. We found 50A in both 250V & 125V varieties during a month long cruise. Most newer installations were 250V...

Don
'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

Do you really have that much load on your boat? My boat had the same set up. I measured all loads, two 16,000 BTU ACs, stove, chargers, etc and came up to 42 amps steady state with everything on. I took the 50 and split it over to the 30 amp panel through a switch. We no longer use two cables.

I only run one 30 amp cord to the boat although it has plug-ins for 2-30amp cords. Two a/c units were added and the second circuit was for them. With one 30amp cord I just have to manage power usage, just can't run both a/c's and water heater at the same time along with other loads.

"With one 30amp cord I just have to manage power usage, just can't run both a/c's and water heater at the same time along with other loads"

A load shedding relay will manage the power for you

Perhaps $60 and a single wire from the 2nd air cond to the relay on the HW heater will shut off the HW heater if the AC turns on.

Used to be in the expensive Granger book , dont get the book any more , but they were adjustable NO or NC , you set it.

You don't need to spend that much.

Look on ebay for a current switch. It is a little $10 current transducer that senses current in the power supply wire to a device. When it senses current it closes a solid state switch that supplies power to the control input of a SSR, a solid state relay that draws only milliamps of DC power.

A 40A SSR can be had on ebay for less than $10 and will switch the high voltage 240 or 120 supply. The beauty of this system is that you don't need a large and expensive mechanical relay capable of switching under load without burning up after a few cycles. The SSR has a "zero crossing" feature whereby it only opens or closes at the zero voltage/power point of the ac sine wave.

CR Magnetics Current Switch CR9321 PNP | eBay

Thanks for the tips guys, It's really not been a problem, water is heated from engine also and with just me aboard it's just been a matter of turning one a/c off for short time to heat water for the day.

i have a splitter fr sale that goes from 240 volts to two 50 amp 110s it is a heavey duty hubble 150.00$

Thanks I've got 2 30amp cords just don't need it enough to plug them both in. I leave one plugged in on the dock(breaker off) when I go out, one on the boat. JIM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom