Dauntless Summer Adventure 2015 Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A reminder, you can see the details of the route and the location of Dauntless at any time for this coming summer cruise anytime at:

https://share.delorme.com/dauntless

Part 2 just got posted.

Spoiler Alert, I lived.

All I can say is "Damn"...and now waiting...not so patiently...for the next installment.

All I can say is "Damn"...and now waiting...not so patiently...for the next installment.

Yeah, I messed up. I did not read part one because of Dimer2's "warning". :thumb: Figured Part 2 would tell the whole tale but nope! :eek:

Looks like we have to wait for Part 3.

:lol:

Later,
Dan

I need to make a picture.

Also, seriously, it is not pain free to write about such a series of missteps.

Today, I finally got CE on my laptop. In planning Saturday's trip to vlissingen, it's only 27nm.

So that means about 22 nm from where I have up.

22 miles seems such a short distance.
But at 2 knots, ha.

Just posted the End.

Even added pictures taken today of the parking spot and a diagram

Also, will do a new thread about the change of fuel filters today and what I found

Man, what an adventure! Glad the final docking turned out the way it did....and I'm sure you deserved the "rest" at the end. Great write up!

Also, seriously, it is not pain free to write about such a series of missteps.

Yes, yes it is. :eek: On another forum, you should see the pictures of mangled fingers people are posting due to "missteps." Thankfully, none of those mangled fingers are mine but by the grace of god....:facepalm::D

Later,
Dan

Ok updates are out. i thought I had posted last week here too, but must have forgot.

I had some fun in the bilge this morning, and Charger fun yesterday.

dauntlessatsea.wordpress.com

Well, I just read your "charger" adventures...Again, all's well that ends well."..however, doing nothing would've been more fun had you been "doing nothing"...Ah well, another lesson learned? I would've been in absolute panic had I seen the water swirling in my bilges...I think you handled it better than I would've. I'm glad it turned out to be a simple fix, but would've been easier on you if it was also a little more obvious. Anyway, hope you're feeling better! Again, good write up!

I think every crises sounds worse than it actually is.

I stl have a big problem in overlooking the simplest, easy solution, thinking out can't be that easy.
Many times it is.

A few months ago, I spent hours trying to get my fw pump to prime.

Finally I went back to the scene of the crime and discovered that the valve for the empty tank was not shut all the way. Only open by about 1/8" but that's all it took.

Frankly I'm so happy the charger is working, not because I really need it, I've gotten asking all year without it, but it's just one less thing that I don't have to worry about.

Also, I had another Racor adventure. I will post that here first and start a new thread.

A Stressful Extraction

Our Gelderland experience is coming to the, we left Arnhem this morning to head north along the Ijssel river.

I’m still feeling a bit under the weather and am now thinking maybe it’s related to walking into the pole on Friday. But we need not go there.

This morning, I paid Robert, the owner of Watersport Centrum Arnhem, and I explained to him how I wanted to get out of our tight space.

(Sorry, picture is posted on the blog, as i don't have the bandwidth to upload it again):nonono:

By the way, it’s really not a Watersport Centrum, but it is a great boat yard, popular because they let you work on your own boat and a large, well-stocked marine store.

Tied to the dock on our port side, stern towards the exit, with about 50 feet, 15 meters to a large Hatteras docked on the opposite side, I decided to throw a line to someone on the Hatteras and have them pull the stern out.

At the same time, I had a bow line coming from the starboard bow cleat, around a midships cleat on the dock and back to the boat near the pilot house door. Ivan held this light taught, not letting the bow get very far from the dock.

Bas, the son of our Dutch friends, Margriet and Sierd, had joined Ivan and I yesterday. He will be with us until the end of the month. He will be with us for the Friesland part of our journey, made a bit more personal as that is where his father grew up. The Fries language spoken in Friesland is also the closest relative to English. An English speaker will recognize about half the words.

Bas was at the stern and kept me informed of how much space we had left. As the boat became perpendicular to the dock, I then used the bow thruster to about 45° at which point could use the main engine with full left rudder to complete the U turn.

The closest we got to the Hatteras was 1.5 meters, a little less than 5 feet.:dance:

Bas and Ivan did an outstanding job and I’m sure we will have a great time together.:dance::dance:

Good post.That was a precarious situation to be in.

I posted anther blog entry a few days ago.

We're leaving the Netherlands tomorrow. It's a bit sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trapped in a tower in east Germany pretty much sums up this week.

See pics and details at:

Dauntlessatsea.wordpress.com

Richard-funny piece about the tower. Guess you were just whistling the wrong tune!

And who says those Germans don't have a sense of humor, warped maybe.

That was a great story, Richard! Great that you figured a way out without requiring the help of the Germans. I hope you continued whistling the song as you passed them!!

Richard was just carrying on the tradition of escaping from German POW camps.:thumb:

New posting and money too

OK the story goes from bad to worse now.

I have not had Internet for the last few days, so I just posted a new blog and will post more in the next day.

I'm in Gdansk. Just had a great day.

Also have calculated money $$$pent since leaving Ireland.dd

I'll post those results also soon.

Spanked in Finland

Finally have internet, albeit very slow and intermetent.

just posted about Finland so far.

Cleaned out the starboard fuel tank today.

Another lesson learned: once I knew there was some water, I must get it out asap.

The actual water quantity was less than 0.5 gal, maybe even less than a qt, but having the tank also so empty allowed a lot of sfc rust to form.
Luckily because the tank was so empty, < 2 gal fuel, it and most of the rust formed in the baffle closest to the feed and inspection port.

'Julie summed it up best: Richard Sees the Rock; Julie Sees the Rock; We Talk About the Rock; We Hit the Rock.'

As someone with a very 'goldfish like' attention span and short term memory, I can identify with this. It's tough being scatterbrained. I'm glad things ended well!

I'm also glad you enjoyed G'Dansk. I found it very charming. I'd love to go back.

I just wrote "Water & Fuel; Fuel & Water" this morning.

When I can post it is another matter.

Currently, I'm loitering outside the $8 glass of Prosecco place using their internet.

By the way, the cost in Italy, for the same glass, outside the tourist pits, is $1.50.

I have a plan...

Javea Spain 11 Euros a bottle 3 months ago right next to the marina

I don't need no stink'n dryer, I have Paravanes

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150817_142626.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150817_142626.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20150817_142743.jpg
    ForumRunner_20150817_142743.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 65
Richard, is that your underwear hanging on the ropes?

Are we there yet?

I'm barely at the half way point.

And now the NOrth Sea is becoming uppity.:hide:

I've just posted a few more posts to the blog today and yesterday.

i will try to get posted as much as possible.:dance:

I'm now waiting in Norway.

My last big hurdle is just before me, the North Sea.

I must wait till the winds calm down, certainly by summer!

Back
Top Bottom