Do you like Magma Grills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a theory about the blow out problem. I wonder if those that have a blow out problem are actual cooks who try to use the grill at less than full blast and the others, who don't have problems are Neanderthals (like me) who only burn steaks on the grill?
Charred on the outside, pink in the middle!

I was thinking the same thing!!! I cook on full blast!! And I grill in fairly strong winds...have not had a blow out problem.

in my experience the covers are not quality material 8 months in the Florida Sun and they are all bleached out and falling apart

The covers that come with the grill are NOT high quality. You have to turn around and shell out another $60 for a sunbrella version and it will last you MANY years. I will say this is a worthy investment as my cover is 8 years old and so is my grill and they both look great. I have gone the "no cover" route and your grill will only last a couple of years and die a slow agonizing death.

We have Dickinson spitfire . Came with nice cover . Kinda pricey though . Burner went out after two years they replaced no questions asked and no freight charges . Cookin on it right now .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Oh yeah grilling goes good with some Tiki toss:dance:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 67
Oh yeah grilling goes good with some Tiki toss:dance:

Just installed one of those at the house in bimini, I suck at it. But it's fun as all get for a ring and some string. :D

I like my (round) Magma, I grill stuff on it and also like to cook with a wok, I take the grill off and have a fire ring that holds the wok just the right height off the burner. I like to cook Paellas on it too, I have a pan that fits just right and does a good job. Yes, it used to blow out sometimes in the wind, so I made a folding wind screen for it, no more blow outs.I use the 1 lb gas canisters and also have a 6 lb. aluminum propane tank with hose and adapter for long cruises.

I had trouble with my old school Magma easy blowing out and hard to keep regulated. It turned out that the burner was split along the holes on the original single burner. After replacing the burner and igniter about a year ago- things have been fine.
Here is a video I took a couple of days ago. You can't really hear me talking- but she lit first try and remained lit in the 22 mph wind.
That's some pork sausage and smoked boudin (a Cajun rice/ meat sausage) going on the grill for an appetizer :).
**Sorry for the 3 minute plus video, just wanted to show as long as I feasibly could**
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439894962.591135.jpg

http://youtu.be/aqoCAI1TWxg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Last edited:
I had trouble with my old school Magma easy blowing out and hard to keep regulated. It turned out that the burner was split along the holes on the original single burner. After replacing the burner and igniter about a year ago- things have been fine.
Here is a video I took a couple of days ago. You can't really hear me talking- but she lit first try and remained lit in the 22 mph wind.
That's some pork sausage and smoked boudin (a Cajun rice/ meat sausage) going on the grill for an appetizer :).
**Sorry for the 3 minute plus video, just wanted to show as long as I feasibly could**
View attachment 43283

http://youtu.be/aqoCAI1TWxg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

When out and about at anchor, I often cook in winds that fast or even a bit higher. My Magma is 7 yrs old; still performs well. Never have had blow out problems. When I spoke with assistant in West Marine while purchasing an extendable boat hook... he told me: It seems the reason newer Magma's blow out is due to the close tolerance grating placed under its cooking grill. I believe that is termed the infrared sheet.

He said that WM shoppers who complained of blow outs while cooking told him they found the blow outs ceased once the sheet under cooking grate was removed.

I noted your M grill and burner area looked the same inside as mine... no perforated sheet under the cooking grill. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom