What Do You Fly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very awesome footage!

I had the opportunity to watch several dusters operating, while I was training in Suriname.

One of the pilots was a relative of one of the trainees we were working with, and put on quite a show.

Awesome (but crazy!) flying:thumb:

Stay safe up there.

OD

Very awesome footage!

I had the opportunity to watch several dusters operating, while I was training in Suriname.

One of the pilots was a relative of one of the trainees we were working with, and put on quite a show.

Awesome (but crazy!) flying:thumb:

Stay safe up there.

OD

Every time we spray this property the farmers son clambers around the hills videoing. This is about the 5th one he's done (not all me) and he seams to have a real talent with the camera and editing.

For the last 12+ years of my career, Learjet 60.

img_353914_0_2c7cd6b0f6f2927873db808c7c6639e4.jpg

Now that's a nice aeroplane. I've never flown a jet but it would be nice.

aw heck...if they won't post pics in the natural habitat...how about one in an unnatural habitat?

....float planes have the same rep up north as workhorses...not just transportation....:D

Attachments

• fs.jpg
    fs.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 84
Until recently, we owned and flew a Turbo Saratoga. With our need for it in sharp decline, I was no longer flying enough hours to remain truly comfortable putting my family in it. Maybe someday we'll have another plane....I've had an itch for a Waco :)

Here's a Waco you might want to look at if your in the market.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438890661.098838.jpg. Up near Bellingham Wa.

Via iPhone.

aw heck...if they won't post pics in the natural habitat...how about one in an unnatural habitat?

....float planes have the same rep up north as workhorses...not just transportation....:D

Here is one in you could say was in its unnatural habitat. A Beaver I flew a while ago as you can see by the date stamp, on Wipline 6000 amphibious floats. I loved flying that one.

19733843034_505e3a99e1_c.jpg

Here is one in you could say was in its unnatural habitat. A Beaver I flew a while ago as you can see by the date stamp, on Wipline 6000 amphibious floats. I loved flying that one.

19733843034_505e3a99e1_c.jpg

I wonder if it looks like Marin's Beaver...hopefully he'll post some pics soon. Classics are always a pretty sight.

The D-18 was a blast to fly; noisy, slow( by today's standards), not forgiving of any inattention on the ground, but comfortable & solid. A good day in the airplane was a satisfying experience. The 690B, like all the Commanders, is a reliable, efficient, fast airplane to fly. Tracks an ILS like it was on rails, & goes where you put it. Inflight stuff is a joy. A bit noisy, & it can be an absolute terror on the ground. Word is; "if you can taxi a Commander, you can fly it". The issue is the sensitivity in the nose steering/brake response. Good short field characteristics; 90 kts across the fence; instant response from the Garretts when you need it; in short, a joy to pilot

The D-18 was a blast to fly; noisy, slow( by today's standards), not forgiving of any inattention on the ground, but comfortable & solid. A good day in the airplane was a satisfying experience. The 690B, like all the Commanders, is a reliable, efficient, fast airplane to fly. Tracks an ILS like it was on rails, & goes where you put it. Inflight stuff is a joy. A bit noisy, & it can be an absolute terror on the ground. Word is; "if you can taxi a Commander, you can fly it". The issue is the sensitivity in the nose steering/brake response. Good short field characteristics; 90 kts across the fence; instant response from the Garretts when you need it; in short, a joy to pilot

CHC I loved the Aerocommanders as well, specially the Shrike and 690 but I've seen pilots who could never get the hang of taxiing them.

Brett

This is the C-45 I used to fly on a freight run between Seattle and Billings back in my days of youthful immortality. Overgross and iced up far too often for comfort. Just for the record ... I did not own the airplane.

The L-16 was my first owned airplane. Flew it coast to coast, Gulf to PNW with only a radioshack transistor airband reciever. Loved it, learned a lot.

The Scout was my fun plane, high performance Champ could leap fences and land in a corral, climb mountains and beachcomb.

The 206 was my first real bush plane, flew rafters into the Salmon River Wilderness and into the Canadian resorts ... shown on the strip at Banff, Alberta.

Need to scan pics of Mong Sport, Starduster Too (2 off), Ercoupe, and a Tripacer. Lots of fun and owned mounts as well ...

Attachments

• bch1-12-13_n45n.jpg
    bch1-12-13_n45n.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 71
  • pictur26.jpg
    pictur26.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 70
  • SCOUT_01.jpg
    SCOUT_01.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 66
  • pictur15.jpg
    pictur15.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Oops, forgot to add the 206 pic .. and the Fairchild was not mine but I was driving in the photo delivering it to its new owner.

Attachments

• pictur01.jpg
    pictur01.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 80
Nice Beaver, Jetstream ... I almost traded the Scout for a Beaver on wheels not long after I bought it, probably should have but the Scout was so darn versatile ... not to mention cheap to fly compared to the Beaver. Hard to believe we don't have any Beaver pics from Marin's many trips up the west coast.
Here are the 'Duster pics. Red one came to a bad end after an engine failure followed by an encounter with a barbed wire fence at just the wrong moment. The blue Duster was another of those "what was I thinking" when I sold it things ... the Mong was the twitchiest short coupled thing I ever drove on the ground ... in the air it was purely therapeutic.

Attachments

• 100_0514.jpg
    100_0514.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 100_2257.jpg
    100_2257.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 67
  • MONG_04.jpg
    MONG_04.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 100_0498.jpg
    100_0498.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 70
I've put up photos form our Inside Passage flights in posts in the past. They're all in the archives somewhere.

I wonder if it looks like Marin's Beaver...hopefully he'll post some pics soon. Classics are always a pretty sight.

I've put up photos form our Inside Passage flights in posts in the past. They're all in the archives somewhere.

Got any pics of the Beaver you own?

The registration doesn't match up with anything ... but it is difficult to read in that photo. Sure looks like a Kenmore paint job though.

Last edited:
That particular plane is N17598 and it's been part of Kenmore Air Harbor's fleet for a number of decades. My wife and I have been good friends since the early '80s of the family that started and still owns Kenmore and for a number of years they let us take one of their Beavers in June to BC and SE Alaska for fishing and camping trips. That photo is from one of those early trips.

Our own aircraft belong to one of our businesses and we do not discuss the specifics of our business ventures nor our customers on public internet forums.

Last edited:
Nice Beaver, Jetstream ... I almost traded the Scout for a Beaver on wheels not long after I bought it, probably should have but the Scout was so darn versatile ... not to mention cheap to fly compared to the Beaver. Hard to believe we don't have any Beaver pics from Marin's many trips up the west coast.
Here are the 'Duster pics. Red one came to a bad end after an engine failure followed by an encounter with a barbed wire fence at just the wrong moment. The blue Duster was another of those "what was I thinking" when I sold it things ... the Mong was the twitchiest short coupled thing I ever drove on the ground ... in the air it was purely therapeutic.

You guys have such a huge variety of aircraft in the states. When I learned to fly in Australia all we had commonly were Cessna's, Piper's and Beechcraft. The only thing different I flew when I was young was an Aerocommander Lark which looked like a 172 made by a blacksmith. Most of the new composite light aircraft flying around these days I wouldn't have a clue what they were.

This is the only good photo I could find of the beaver I used to fly on a regular run from Townsville up to Orpheous and Hinchinbrook island and through to Cairns sometimes.

20478973181_8eb47fdaa2_b.jpg

... they let us take one of their Beavers in June to BC and SE Alaska for fishing and camping trips.
This past June? Cool, got any photos of that trip? We just want to see a Beaver doing what they are meant to do in that part of the world.

Our own aircraft belong to one of our businesses and we do not discuss the specifics of our business ventures nor our customers on public internet forums.

Oh, c'mon, are you leasing them (plural?) to the CIA or something?

... they let us take one of their Beavers in June to BC and SE Alaska for fishing and camping trips.

This past June? Cool, got any photos of that trip?

No, not this past June. iN June for a number of years, through the 1980s and 90s until we got the first plane of our own. June is when Kenmore could spare the plane. Bob Munro, the founder of Kenmore Air Harbor, let my wife and I use 598 at no cost to us; we just had to put gas in it which at 23 gph is not an insignificant cost even at 80's and 90's fuel prices, let alone today's. The only time we didn't use 598 was for our honeymoon when we used one of the company's re-engined 180s.

The photos I took on those trips, like the one psneeld pulled out of the archives, are all 35mm slides. I copied a few of them to a digital camera, and these are the ones I've posted to TF at various times.

Last edited:
Here's the last pair to leave the stable a few months ago ...

Don't miss them much, really don't miss the hangar rent bill!

Attachments

• DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 72
  • PARKED.jpg
    PARKED.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom