View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Tidahapah
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Propriety and computer based plotters

Recently I completed a major electronic upgrade on Tidahapah. It actually started as a radar replacement but got out of hand .
Any how all is pretty good and I am happy with the set up. It is as follows
2 x GPS Map 8012 12 "Multi -touch glass multi function displays with 2 external GPS receivers and a duel card card reader.
1 Garmin blue chart G2 Vision for east Coast Australia
1 garmin GMR 18xHD 4 KW 36 nm High Def radome scanner
1 x garmin GDS24 network Fish Finder/sounder
also mu 1 KW B258 50/200 Hz Transducer is connected into the system
1 x garmin GCV10 Down Vu/Side Vu High Def bottom imaging module
Simrad simnet to connect my wind data

All in all I am happy with the complete setup especially the radar and the overlay capability but can't believe the backward step I had to make re the plotter, the computer technology appears to be at least 10 years behind, especially when it comes to the number of way points and the naming protocol.
One would think in this day and age and the cost of said equipment each display unit would come equipped with its own solid state hard drive of about 250 GB.
The frustration with the plotter system has led me to reinstate my Nobeltec system on the laptop as it has all my fishing, diving sites and old anchorages.
I also find the Garmin plotter software a bit cumbersome to use especially when underway.

Do any of you other people have the same problems with propriety plotter software and if so what are the answers. Setting up the laptop takes away from the nice clean install of the other equipment.

Cheers
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote