Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rochepoint, did the operator of the drone boat have VHF communications with the lock keepers and other vessels, like a normal vessel would, did it have Nav lights. Any idea of how far from home, or the operator, it ranges?

Pacific Yellowfin's cabin.

Attachments

• Pacific Yellowfin (8).jpg
    Pacific Yellowfin (8).jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 119
Re; Pacific Yellowfin
Would be real interesting if the hold came equipped as it was in the movies
with Steven (your pony tail's too tight) Seagal.

Ted

Re; Pacific Yellowfin
Would be real interesting if the hold came equipped as it was in the movies
with Steven (your pony tail's too tight) Seagal.

Ted

What was in the hold?, I assume stowaways and guns? :D

Attachments

• Pacific Yellowfin (2).jpg
    Pacific Yellowfin (2).jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 131
Brian.

That is a beautiful litte ship. I would dearly love to own something like that, a boat with history and a soul.

It look a lot like the San Peblo.

David.

Pacific Yellowfin was built by the US Army Corp of Engineers in 1943 at Billings Shipyard on Deer Isle Maine, to a design by Seattle's HC Hanson. She is 114' x 30' and was originally a Junior Mine Planting vessel, thus her designation JMP 64. It takes huge pockets to maintain a 72 year old wooden ship in first class condition. This past winter four guys spent 6 months rebuilding her forward bulwarks and replacing three topside planks each side up in the bow. Every year sees a similar sized project.

If you apply the 10% rule, Pacific Yellowfin could be replaced today for around $15m....So maintenance each year will be about $150k.

And she is in no way related to or similar to the two San Peblo's I know of. One of those was a fictional ship which appeared in The Sand Pebbles movie. She was a 150' steel riverboat re-creation built for the film on the lines of a Spanish Gunboat. The real USS San Peblo was a 310' Seaplane Tender.

Guns and computer electronics with hacking abilities.
Don't know if they can really hack to that degree, but
looks impressive. This would qualify as salesmanship or politics right?

Ted

Art. Regarding the 37 foot Tolly cruiser. You will recall I had mentioned and you responded, to an inquiry of one of these in Ketchikan. The other day the owner walked by our boat and I mentioned that it was good to see the Tolly being opened up for apparent use. He indicated it was may be for sale. To bad, When he mentioned 300 gallon fuel and 100 gallon water tanks and not the material used, I shuddered to think of the cost of replacement of those tanks given the location within the boat. Lot of deck tearing up and replacement involved!

Murray- There is a 37 foot Fisher here in Ketchikan, It came here from the Friday Harbor area. The new owner has extended the stern by 4 feet +. The job was well done and fits the hull appearance well.

Al

Al,
There was a Fisher 30 in Craig a few years ago when we were there.

Steve-you asked a few posts back about the controller for the drone boat. The guy controlling it was on the lock wall. I asked him the same questions and he said they had about a one mile range. But, unless the boat was fitted with a videocam, this one wasn't, they only operated within sight. He also said it had about a three hour time on the batteries depending in part on what sensors were on board and whether they were recording data on board or sending it to a laptop on shore.

Good, hope it works out for him. Nice friendly crew.

Thanks for all of the interior photos of Yellowfin. I see her out on the water most summers and it's great to see that her beauty is more than skin deep.

Aggressive shrimp boat...

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438901837.767313.jpg

Port Aransas Tx

Thanks Tad.

Whether the pretend San Pablo or the Yellowfin either would do me just fine. It was the older style which catches my eye. And the movie with Steve McQueen was just brilliant.

David.

This tiny mini speed boat looked about 8' long, had a 20 HP OB...

Could make a cool retro dink! Anyone know the make?

Al,
There was a Fisher 30 in Craig a few years ago when we were there.

This Fisher (ketch-rigged with forward-leaning pilothouse windows) has been at "my" boatyard for about two years. Staff says the owner is working on the interior. The boat looks 100% externally.

Last edited:
Also saw this Bosgraaf Beaver flying a huge Dutch ensign:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439001887.602362.jpg

Just now took the dog for his morning walk and snapped a few shots of boats on our dock here in Anacortes. Quite a number of rollbar anchors and the first Rocna Vulcan I've seen on a boat. The boat itself appears to be an ex-forestry or fisheries boat. There a small gathering of the Metal Boats Society on the dock including the big I-assume aluminum sailboat. The big rollbar anchor is on one of the metal boats. I don't know if the 26' Nordic Tug is one of their original boats or one of the re-issues. My guess is that it's one of the originals that's been given some nice woodwork and stained glass. The big Victory Tug is one of the eight 48'10" versions made.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050713.033619.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050743.470478.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050780.292295.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050817.778241.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050849.681124.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050871.159359.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050903.363111.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050931.219792.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439050956.208590.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439051003.231909.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1439051037.583405.jpg

Last edited:
Strumpet is 1982, listed here 26' Nordic Tug - 1982

Dean Ranger was built in 1959 at Star Shipyard in New Westminster as a Provincial Police Boat, in 61 she was transferred to Recreation & Conservation and renamed Otter, then in 1967 transferred to BC Forest Service and became the Dean Ranger. Served until 1984 when she was sold to private owners. The Dean Ranger name was an indication of her intended service out of Ocean Falls, in Dean Channel. Instead she actually worked most of her life out of Kitimat.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom