Sundeck or Sedan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FtLaudTwo

Sundeck or Trunk Style?

Ok so here it is.... My wife and I are going to buy a trawler in the next few months or so. We live in Fort Lauderdale and can dock the boat at our house but have very little interest in keeping it here, we want to travel.

Within the next year or two we plan on doing the Great Loop (GL), either all at once or a little bit at a time.

Before starting the GL we will probably hit the Bahamas a couple times and the small loop (SL) Fort Laud>Port St Lucie>Okeechobee>Key West> Ft Laud (may leave the boat at different places and go back and forth).

We had a 38' Marine Trader/Trunk Style which we sold in 2009. We are now ready to get another and we now realize that the boat we had was a good boat for what we want to do in the future, however, we have been looking at the 40' Sundeck with hardtop models as an option. (we would want the galley down layout)

Here is what we like about the Sundeck... More usable living space (shaded with the hardtop). Weather protected access to the Flybridge. More room in the rear cabin due to full width.

Here is what we don't like about the Sundeck.... (in no particular order) The appearance,less of the classic trawler look. Top heavy/windage due to the profile. More difficult access to the swim platform. More difficult docking/line handling due to the lack of walk around side deck. Loss of some room in the salon due to the stairs.

Comments observations and opinions are welcome from all along with Anyone with a boat for sale that might meet our needs.. We saw one boat recently that appeared to be in excellent condition and well equipped that was listed for $55k, when we called the broker it was already pending sale, so that is kind of our benchmark...

Last edited:
We have a 35' sundeck. We do not have a hardtop over the sundeck. Wind is not as much of a factor as we thought but might be more so with the hardtop, and definitely would be if you have an enclosure. There are a lot of steps but one trade off is the three steps to the fly bridge versus a ladder on a sedan.

I will never go back to not having an island bed. :)

Good luck!

Here is what we don't like about the Sundeck.... (in no particular order) The appearance,less of the classic trawler look. Top heavy/windage due to the profile. More difficult access to the swim platform. More difficult docking/line handling due to the lack of walk around side deck. Loss of some room in the salon due to the stairs..
Although I have several friends who have sun decks, your "don't like list" pretty much sums up my opinion of sun decks. :hide::popcorn:

More recent sedan types get a larger bed with side access into the bow cabin. Current boats I saw at the recent Boat Show are really good. Even our 1981 boat is more island than pure V berth.
I think the problem with sundecks I`ve been on is flow from one area to another, and steps. But I know people who love their sundeck boats, especially for the multiple "rooms" they provide.

Comments observations and opinions are welcome from all...

The only sundeck-style boat I'm actually familiar with is the Grand Banks version which they call a "Motoryacht." GB Motoryachts were made in most of the GB sizes-- 36, 42, 46 for sure, I don't know about the 48 and 49. The GB52 has always been a Europa.

The GB boat is a little different from the other sundeck boats I've seen in that the aft cabin is lower. It's basically the tri-cabin boat with the aft cabin extended all the way to the outside edge of the hull and back to the transom.

Generally the aft cabin top of a GB Motoryacht is used for dinghy storage. It tends not to be the social gathering place it is on other sundeck boats.

In profile, the GB Motoryacht is not all that different than the tri-cabin. The other sundeck boats--- Carver is one that comes to mind but there are plenty more--- with their much taller aft cabins are quite awkward looking in my opinion and is one reason why I wouldn't own one.

Aesthetics aside, my primary objection to the GB Motoryacht or just about any other sundeck boat is the lack of a full walkaround deck. In some boating areas I guess this is not a major consideration. But we feel it is an absolute necessity for boating in this region if for no other reason than the type of docks that are typically encountered and the fact that one is generally on their own when it comes to getting secured to a dock. Not many dock boys or girls around here.:) A full walkaround deck makes it easier to do a lot of other things, like grabbing a mooring buoy for example.

So easy access from the side of the boat to the dock is very important in our opinions. While this can be done from the swimstep on some boats, we feel being able to step off the side of the boat to the dock is the better bet. Plus a lot of boats, including ours, have the swimstep blocked by a dinghy. Obviously having a fairly low freeboard aft is part of what makes a full walkaround deck useful. Fortunately, our boat has this characteristic (photo).

From a usable space aspect, inside and outside, a sundeck has a lot to offer. So if this is important and one can stomach driving around in a boat that looks like this :))) a sundeck can be a smart choice.

Attachments

• Browning.JPG
    Browning.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
For any loop boat, do keep in mind the height of the hardtop and any electronics added to it.

I see it more a matter of taste and preference than anything else. To me, the MT 40 Sundeck looks a bit odd. On the other hand, I have nothing against odd. If it's utilitarian and fits your needs then I say be proud of odd. I think the Manatee is a funny looking boat but then my wife thinks it's cute and we both appreciate how well it's layout just works.

Tossing the loop in makes use of an upper station an interesting topic as on the New York Canal section and that shortly thereafter it can often be fairly cold. However, if weather is conducive, I just love being on an open or partially open bridge or deck.

For a boat designed from the outset to allow a sundeck, I don't think the windage is a big issue where and how you intend to use it. However, the access to the swim platform again is personal. How much will you use the platform. I know people who anchor and swim every evening the weather allows. I know others who never swim, don't use a dinghy and couldn't care less about water access.

Yes! Having the boat's deck close to the height of dock is convenient as well as a "must" for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 116
Walt, that side door looks much more convenient than hopping onto your swim step on your previous boat! :thumb:

Not sure how well this picture shows

Cons

• *getting on and off while not at home dock not easy with our dog (big)
    * the interior flow 3 true levels with a 4 single step

Pros
    * Large master suite
    * Large salon
    *Large kitchen
    *in my model Kitchen is not separated from salon although it is galley down
    *lower sundeck can seat 12 comfortably with 2 tables for drinks and snacks

Attachments

• IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
Our observation is that the sundeck becomes the most used "room" on the boat. Folks that boat in inclement weather will often semi enclose them with strataglass or some sort of openable panels.

Our Hatteras is a much bigger boat than that being considered. The aft deck had doors on each side leading to the side decks, so the ability to get fore and aft quickly was preserved. It came equipped with large sliding windows on each side and liftable EZ2CY panels (wonderful stuff) along the back.. the center one is hinged open and attached to the ceiling except in bad weather (stern lines are tossed from there)... so it's really like a big covered porch. We would never have another cruising / liveaboard boat without a covered aft deck.

One thing I like about about most of the DeFever and Hargrave designs is the plethora of outdoor living space.

We used the swim platform constantly, an average of twice a day. Even when docked, we had the Whaler in the water for trips to the beach and exploring. Since we are large, old and clumsy, we were sure we would end up putting some sort of stairs back there, it is almost a six foot ladder. Never got around to it. Likewise, there is about five feet of freeboard along the sides to a floating dock. We had a handy aluminum ladder that attached quickly, as well as a set of Marquip "seastairs" for longer term stays. Mr. Hargrave was kind enough to design in a portlight right below the side gate on each side that I could use a step if I had to get off quick. We two docked and de-docked (from floating and fixed) several times with no help on shore, though we always solicited some if available.

We chartered a beautiful GB 49 motoryacht, it had a couple of steps up from the side decks, so you were just line handling from a slightly elevated position up there but had all the functionality of walk around decks which for us are a must. That boat had a canopy that unfurled from the boom, which we never used:

3ablawIRYdNusB2Mg31LDF0tbXdLkGBIUSzdk-KDj7g=w906-h679-no

Not sure how well this picture shows

Cons

• *getting on and off while not at home dock not easy with our dog (big)
    * the interior flow 3 true levels with a 4 single step

Pros
    * Large master suite
    * Large salon
    *Large kitchen
    *in my model Kitchen is not separated from salon although it is galley down
    *lower sundeck can seat 12 comfortably with 2 tables for drinks and snacks

• I think for some people, like you, the Sundeck is a great layout and you work around the negatives. It's a bit of one of those layouts that you'll love or hate from the first time you step on the boat. You'll either smile and get exuberant or you'll start complaining about it.

All layouts are a bit like that though. I don't care what boat you own, if you show it to others, some will love it, and the others will start talking as soon as they leave about "why did they get that boat?" and talk about all the things they didn't like.

Sundeck was our choice...

We just finished doing what you are starting to do. Although we are in the PNW and we will be using the boat constantly (year around). We picked a Sundeck Trawler based on space and how we will use the boat. The sundeck offers a great master stateroom with a walk around berth. A large galley down to allow the main salon to be more of a usable area to live in during rainy weather without being limited with built in furniture. And the sundeck is such a great place to enjoy just sitting around, socializing and watching the world float by. Three steps up from the sundeck is a very large bridge with a fantastic view around the boat while underway. It is also a great location to watch the sun come up/set with a good beverage in hand.
The aft stateroom design also allows our adult kids and grand kids to be on board while giving them a location forward to themselves to be while not sleeping in the main salon area.

The con's to the design are getting on board (3 feet up from the dock), along with the few steps to get anywhere on the boat. and the extra windage towards the stern of the boat. Although, that being said, docking last Friday in 20 knots of wind on the beam was not an issue at all.

Good luck on your search! :thumb:

jpg.gif
IMG_4037.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4037.jpg
    IMG_4037.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 376
Welcome S41... nice looking boat! What is it exactly?

Mid 80's Symbol 41. Thanks for the welcome. I have been reading this site for years and years now. Finally had something to contribute.

I have a Nova 44 Sundeck with a cockpit. A little rare, but it solves some problems. The sternlines are tough, especially when the canvas enclosure is up, but I'm okay with leaving them rigged to the stern cleats and tossing the working end over the rail, because I know I will secure them and not run them over with my prop. I still exit the side deck to tie up when I arrive at the dock.
The swim step to cockpit access is great, but you still have a ladder to the sundeck, so we usually just embark from the dock steps. It's also easy to load groceries etc. onto the side decks, then pass them in through the large windows instead of walking everything back through the narrow side deck doors.
The full width aft cabin and queen sized matress is why I get to keep my girlfriend, and I still didn't have to buy a house.
Every design has features and flaws, and you will find the best way to enjoy/live with/work around whatever you end up with. Enjoy!

I have a sedan and wouldn't have a sundeck.

As to galley up or down much prefer up.

You are dealing with some of the considerations that we went through last year with the purchase of our Sundeck. We were sure that we wanted a sedan style, and even had a purchase in place that fell apart after the mechanical inspection. My wife was adamant that she did not want the aft cabin as it created access problems for getting onto the boat from the swim step by way of a ladder and because we wanted to be able to have side decks all around the boat. When we saw a sundeck advertised for a really good price we went and looked at it and were impressed with the interior space and the useful outside space on the sundeck itself. After having had our Tollycraft Sundeck for a year I can say that there are inconveniences that come with getting on the boat by way of a rear ladder, but the lack of side decks has been a non-issue for docking the boat and general operation. We have a routine established that works for us and we are used to it now. The access issue has been minimized to some extent as we are now using a folding step ladder by Little Giant that allows us to board from the side with little drama or effort depending on the dock.

I still really like sedans, but if you get a chance to tour, or operate, a sundeck you may find the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. Love the walk around bed in the rear cabin. Separation from our son in the v-berth along with a separate head has also been nice. I have to say that if we were able to swing a 44/45 Sundeck with the aft cockpit there would be very little in the way of disadvantages for our use of the boat.

I have a sedan and wouldn't have a sundeck.

As to galley up or down much prefer up.

Don't be around the bush Eric, please tell us what you really think!

Walt, that side door looks much more convenient than hopping onto your swim step on your previous boat! :thumb:

That side door had a lot to do with me buying the boat

If you're talkin' about the most useful room with the same "footprint" the sundeck wins every time.

If you're talkin' about the most useful room with the same "footprint" the sundeck wins every time.

Agreed! I require rear, side and front deck walk ways 360 degrees around boat.

At the recent Sydney Boat Show I saw numerous boats with "clingaround", as opposed to "walkaround", decks. Some even lacked enough "clingon" handles. I like my walkaround decks.

At the recent Sydney Boat Show I saw numerous boats with "clingaround", as opposed to "walkaround", decks. Some even lacked enough "clingon" handles. I like my walkaround decks.

You wonder sometimes if they even let real people test the model.

I'm a Klingon. Not wild about it.

Mine is a walk around it has its advantages but then again plenty of times I wish I had that space in the salon

I like walk-around with rails or high bulwarks

Ted.

Attachments

• unnamed[1] (4).jpg
    unnamed[1] (4).jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 371
Previous boat was a traditional 40 ft Eagle trawler. She had beautiful lines. She was a great boat, lost her in Katrina. Fast forward 10 years and was looking for a floating condo. After a very extensive search, settled on a Present 42 sundeck. She does not sit a gracefully in the water as the Eagle but once on board it is so much more comfortable. Underway, I just do not see much difference. Conclusion, if you want a boat to look at, go traditional; if you want a boat to be on, get a sundeck!

Walt,
Didn't see I wasn't on the last page. Happens quite often. Can't see why the forum dosn't route one to the last page. This is re your post #20.
You've been read'in what I think for 7 years.

I guess I view sundecks as houseboats on the move. But I'm talking about something I know little to nothing about. But one could say "what's to know about a SD that's not there to see". That's not to say I'd not recomend someone look at a SD that placed a high priority on inside space and could care less about a WL cockpit. Nor am I a fisherman.

Don't like walkaround side decks either but my boat has them. That dosn't mean I'd buy a SD. They are fine for those that like or need them. My short post was not judgemental.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom