Thread: Tell me why...
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #16
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
The 36' boat we have in the PNW was not available with a galley down configuration. But contrary to some of the issues with galley up mentioned in this discussion, we don't find that having someone working in the "galley," which is beside and aft of the helm along the port side of the main cabin, hinders visibility at all. Our boat has large windows in the main cabin and this plus the fact that nobody is ever working in the galley space anyway when we're maneuvering in close quarters makes the visibility question a non-issue for us.

And if someone is working in the galley space while we're underway weve found that it doesn't require a huge effort or commitment on their part to take half a step to the left or right so the person driving can see past them for a moment.

Perhaps on other makes and models of boats a person in the up galley is a major obstruction to visibility, I don't know.

So we don't find the galley up cofiguration to be anything of a problem. We just prefer the galley down configuration on boats that are large enough to incorporate it in the design. We would not like a galley down design that isolates the galley from the main cabin, however. That's why we are so impressed with the layout of the galley-down GB46.

In the GB46 there isn't any lost space above the galley down. The aft end of it is under what would be the port side of the helm console or "shelf" and forward part is in what is the normal forward cabin. If you don't have a galley down in that boat the space it would occupy is another stateroom, I believe.

The space under an up galley in a GB is the engine room. So there is no wasted space with either configuration.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote