Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anyone know anything about this pretty boat, looks brand new.

It's a 31' Ranger Tug. Nice boat, fast when you want it to be, and staggeringly expensive for a 31' boat. There was a new one for sale on our dock for awhile the other year and we could not believe the price. One could get a used Grand Banks 36 or even 42 in good to great shape for that anount.

It's a 31' Ranger Tug. Nice boat, fast when you want it to be, and staggeringly expensive for a 31' boat. There was a new one for sale on our dock for awhile the other year and we could not believe the price. One could get a used Grand Banks 36 or even 42 in good to great shape for that anount.

Agree, nice boat ... ugly price. I'm done buying anything "new" anyway, best to have others eat the depreciation.
Besides it's a bit small, I'm of the mind that my next boat needs to be live-aboard size just in case things go sideways.

My first choice ...

Attachments

• Boat Grand banks.jpg
    Boat Grand banks.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Agree, nice boat ... ugly price. I'm done buying anything "new" anyway, best to have others eat the depreciation.
Besides it's a bit small, I'm of the mind that my next boat needs to be live-aboard size just in case things go sideways.

My first choice ...

Sideways was what happened in 2008ish... upside down is clearly on the horizon.

Unless an unbelievable deal for BIG live-a-board comes your way, I recommend stashing cash, silver, and gold, i.e. waiting. Cause... there will be fire sales like never before in the boating industry if/when Europe goes belly up and China soon follows due to income lack. In that case U.S. will experience really deep financial troubles. Living on a boat could become the best alternative for us marine luv-ers... and fun too!! :thumb:

Being that our little 34' Tolly tri cabin is completely equipped for two to comfortably live aboard if needed (and easy as heck to maintain)... I calc we could get away for just a few to several thou$and a year anchored out / easy cruising. Tolly 44' and 48' are boats I have my eyes on too.

Last edited:
Sideways was what happened in 2008ish... upside down is clearly on the horizon.
Unless an unbelievable deal for BIG live-a-board comes your way, I recommend stashing cash, silver, and gold, i.e. waiting. Cause... there will be fire sales like never before in the boating industry if/when Europe goes belly up and China soon follows due to income lack. In that case U.S. will experience really deep financial troubles. Living on a boat could become the best alternative for us marine luv-ers... and fun too!! :thumb:

I agree, when an average price of an old rundown house costs above $1.2M here in Vancouver, something has to give. There will be a lot of crying out there.
Average price of home in Canada to increase 6.1 per cent in 2015: Royal LePage | CTV News

The Canadain dollar is in the toilet and circling the drain. U.S. buyer can cut a deal on a boat in Canada and take another 30% of the price due to the dollar exchange.

Perhaps I should buy a house in Cambell River. Think I'd like to live there. Catch the tide in the narrows and soon I'd be in my favorite waters. Hmmmmmmm

Better deal in Calgary though. My brother in law has a nice big house there. We thought he was sitting on a gold mine a few years ago.

Gozzard 36 . Those Ted Gozzard boats are especially easy on the eyes .We saw this one on our trip to Pebble Isle Marina , TN River this weekend .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 77
The Canadain dollar is in the toilet and circling the drain. U.S. buyer can cut a deal on a boat in Canada and take another 30% of the price due to the dollar exchange.

Regardless, restaurant meals, gasoline, and lodging costs more in US$$ even considering the exchange rate (leastwise in BC and Alberta) than in the US. Is it because of higher taxes, wages, or what?

Last edited:
Regardless, restaurant meals, gasoline, and lodging costs more in US$$ even considering the exchange rate (leastwise in BC and Alberta) than in the US. Is it because of higher taxes, wages, or what?

we crossed the ca/us border a week ago and the customs dude asked if we had stocked up on groceries in Canada..wtf?? I just laughed at him and asked him if he had ever bought anything up north and did he think there were savings even with the favorable exchange.. he didn't appear to be amused.
HOLLYWOOD

we crossed the ca/us border a week ago and the customs dude asked if we had stocked up on groceries in Canada..wtf?? I just laughed at him and asked him if he had ever bought anything up north and did he think there were savings even with the favorable exchange.. he didn't appear to be amused.
HOLLYWOOD

On our trip last month, the US border agent was more concerned with confiscating a lemon we had purchased in the US.

I ran across this freshly refit Fisher 46 auction on Ebay recently. If I had the money right now I would buy it in a heartbeat. Oh, it has 'those' windows too. Except on a Fisher, they look like they belong there. :thumb:

img_354525_0_8d40c4f617f549e1e49db1bcdf66fa9e.jpg

Larry your notions of a fast boat didn't last very long.

Thanks LarryM. What a beautiful boat.

Larry your notions of a fast boat didn't last very long.

Eric,

Some love affairs take longer than others to forget . . . . . . . :flowers:

Bruce,

Beautiful, I agree . . . . . still :socool:

Last edited:
I ran across this freshly refit Fisher 46 auction on Ebay recently. If I had the money right now I would buy it in a heartbeat. Oh, it has 'those' windows too. Except on a Fisher, they look like they belong there. :thumb:

img_354560_0_8d40c4f617f549e1e49db1bcdf66fa9e.jpg

IIRC the pics correctly, she had some major glass work below the waterline.
Looked like the forefoot was badly smashed and shredded.

Ted

Have always liked the exterior of the Fisher motor sailer. Unfortunately the interior has too many cabins that more resemble a series of closets than staterooms.

Ted

Even Tollycraft had one... Mr. Tolly did not incorrectly call it a "Trawler", but rather, he termed it a "Coastal Cruiser:

Attachments

• Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    Tolly Coastal Cruiser CCF05162010_00000.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 89
Inbound to the Key Bridge in Baltimore yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 86
.... By comparison, most modern production boats seem in my view to be blobs of melted plastic.
Ha...ha, I often referred to a lot of the modern new (at the time) fiberglass sailing vessels as just 'so many floating Clorox bottles'...

' Interesting' interpretation of the health and safety regs.

An accident waiting to happen....
Can't recall exactly where I saw it, perhaps on PBS recently, but there were some photos and videos of these Italian vessels that 'harpoon fish' for billfish for food. They had CRAZY high towers and long bow sprits on them.

I did a little more online research on this - and as suspected, while it "looks pretty good" - it has a disappointing history. The boat was built in the south of China by "Kim's Yacht Company -Xinhui" - this Vripack 69 Trawler Expedition boat seems to have been built by a company that only built a few boats and then went bankrupt.

The Designer has a little info on the boat and company on his linkedin profile:

"Kim's Yachts Ltd. Southern China
April 1999 – June 2004 (5 years 3 months)Xinhui District, Jiangmen City, P.R.China
Design/project manage/technical supervision of he following:
2 x 72ft streel sailing yachts
31ft 35kn Retro powerboat with a transom tumblehome in Nomex
Tartan range of sailing yachts
69ft Vripack steel Expedition Motoryacht
68ft Trawler motoryacht
Refit 70ft sailing yachts in steel"

https://www.linkedin.com/in/thanoscondylis

Here is the full boat listing:

Details | Brokerage | GINO GROUP - YACHTS, YACHTING, BROKERAGE, CHARTER, BENETTI, AZIMUT, TRAVEL, TECHNICAL SERVICE, AZIMUT, TURKEY

Am I mistaken - or is that price of $700K+ a pretty low price for a 69 foot boat in that shape and condition from VriPack?

It doesn't say anything about who the manufacturer was - makes me think that it wasn't a name brand, or in a western european country...

4334194_20130409034527528_1_XLARGE.jpg

The locks in Seattle are always interesting and sometimes an adventure. Went through today and this little yellow drone boat, about 4' long, was in front of us. I talked to the operator on the lock wall and they are an environmental firm doing some work for the Corps of Engineers. Checking water flow, currents and doing 3-d imaging of the bottom outside the upstream gates and on the downstream side of the dam. Turns out that silt builds outside the gates and the waterflow fro the dam has eaten away a lot of the bottom around the foundation of the small lock. The guy said they can load the thing with a multitude of sensors to do almost anything on the water.

We pulled into Salmon Bay Marine Center and the guy next door was moving his house! Just turning it around.

Sorry, can't figure how to turn the picture around. But, notice "Bubba" the cute little tug!

Attachments

• Drone.jpg
    Drone.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Housemoving.jpg
    Housemoving.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Brian.

That is a beautiful litte ship. I would dearly love to own something like that, a boat with history and a soul.

It look a lot like the San Peblo.

David.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom