Perko courtesy light snap-on covers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vulcanbike

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Jaw Breaker II
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
I successfully converted my Perko courtesy lights to LED. I am in search of three of the snap on covers, preferably white. Does anyone know of a source for these without purchasing the whole light unit, or does anyone have any that they were willing to part with?

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
2001 Mainship 390

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438741897.586027.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
2001 Mainship 390

Vulcanbike, the only part Perko sells for that light is the replacement bulb.
Send me an email and I'll call my friend at Perko and see what I can do.

Hi Vulcanbike, Send me your address. Perko is going to mail you some covers.

Wow...that's service!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

BTW Parks, I love the Vulcan anchor you sent me a couple of weeks ago. Put it on a 24ft bay boat to replace the useless Danforth clone and it sets quicker and harder than any anchor I have used on any boat thus far. I don't mind drinking kool-aid if it tastes that good:D.

Rardoin,
Thanks for the input on the Vulcan. You're the first person to tell me if they like them or not.

I'm glad you like it. I just bought a Vulcan to replace my Delta. It will be a while before I get to try it as I'm just starting on a big project on the boat.

Vulcanbike, do you have a Vulcan anchor for your bike?:D

Parks, next time you talk with Perko, how about asking if they can make LED fixtures that fit in the same openings, and have the same screw holes, as their old incandescent fixtures?

I understand that LEDs can be smaller for the same output, but I can't replace my 3" courtesy lights (for example) with the new 2" versions without leaving unsightly holes where the old ones were. Ditto for stern lights, side lights, interior lighting, etc.

CaptTom, The Perko light that Vulcanbike posted a picture of is a Perko 1044.
It measures about 2-1/4" square and needs a hole of 1-3/4" to mount in.

They make the same light as an LED. It's part number is 1074.
PERKO Inc. - Catalog - Lighting Fixtures - LED Utility Light with Snap On Front Cover [1074]

It sounds like these are smaller than what you have. Can you get me a part number or picture?
By chance, is this what you need? PERKO Inc. - Catalog - Lighting Fixtures - Surface Mount LED Dome Light [1157]

Perko is now making LED replacements for many of their lights and of course you can get LED bulbs to go in most of the old incandescent fixtures.

The flybridge courtesy lights on my boat are a generic knock-off of this Perko light:
Fig%200946%20Chrome.jpg

Obviously there's no need to pay for USCG-compliant stern lights in this application, especially since there are four of them.

But my comments are more generic about navigation lights, and even cabin fixtures, in general. I've had a hard time finding exact replacements with LEDs, where the screw holes line up and there's no discolored area showing. It's not just Perko, but they all seem to think that because LED fixtures CAN be made smaller, they should abandon the dimensions of the older incandescent products.

I had 11 square ceiling fixtures, of a type that's been made to the same specifications by the same manufacturer for as long as anyone can remember. I had an RV that had the same fixtures, 15 years ago, and they were so old then I had to buy all new domes and a few replacement fixtures. Just within the past couple of years, the manufacturer stopped making that model in favor of a new, smaller "sleek" design that doesn't match up to the screw pattern or footprint of the old one. They're missing out an opportunity to sell upgrades to replace their huge installed base.

Hi Tom,
I'll pass your comments on to Perko.
In your specific case you can just change to an LED bulb.
yhst-72402774165461_2268_94461199

Hi Tom,
I'll pass your comments on to Perko.
In your specific case you can just change to an LED bulb

Thanks for passing that along.

The problem is, the lenses are all fogged, cracking and melting. I do use replacement LEDs, but sometimes the contacts in the fixture are corroded. I'd never use them in navigation lights, since it seems problems with them are just as likely to be the contacts as the bulb itself. And I hate having to troubleshoot non-functioning nav lights, since they always seem to die at night, in the worst weather, and when you're in a hurry to get somewhere.

My suggestion was simple; make new, weather-tight LED fixtures that match the footprint and screw holes of the old models that are installed on lots of boats. I'd have thought that was a no-brainer. But I guess I'm not the one they're marketing to.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom