Island Gypsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltyDawg86

I haven't seen too much posted about these boats, how are they? I know there's no such thing as "buy it once, buy it right" but they seem to have what I'm looking for. 2 staterooms, economic and an area for fishing.

I also like the look of the Albin North Sea Cutter. I posted about the Island Gypsy, so I would like to hear about them, but any other boats built with the characteristics that I'm looking for?

I haven't seen too much posted about these boats, how are they? I know there's no such thing as "buy it once, buy it right" but they seem to have what I'm looking for. 2 staterooms, economic and an area for fishing.

I also like the look of the Albin North Sea Cutter. I posted about the Island Gypsy, so I would like to hear about them, but any other boats built with the characteristics that I'm looking for?
When it comes to Trawlers, I'm a big fan of Island Gypsies, in all sizes. I've had the opportunity to spend time with their designer, Harvey Halvorsen, who is a terrific guy and a damn good designer of boats. Google Halvorsen Boats & learn about this amazing family.

Harvey (left) & his wife Nancy, on our boat earlier this year.

http://www.halvorsenboatsales.com.au/

Attachments

• Harvey & Nancy Halvorsen 5 copy.jpg
    Harvey & Nancy Halvorsen 5 copy.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
The Island Gypsy is an excellent cabin cruiser. Kong & Halvorsen was started in Hong Kong with the "Kong" being a former engineer with American Marine, the company in Kowloon that created the Grand Banks line. Kong was very involved with the Grand Banks line until leaving American Marine to team with Halvorsen. His son, Shin Kong, was an active participant in the Grand Banks owners forum for sone years and wrote a lot about the history of both companies.

There are several Island Gypsies in our harbor, all of them tri-cabins and one of which was on our dock for years. The owner did a superb job of replacing the boat's failing teak decking with fiberglass. He used to regularly take the boat to SE Alaska. The boat is still in our harbor but on another dock now so we don't see the owner anymore so don't know how active the boat is these days.

From what we have read, been told, and observed the tri-cabin Island Gypsy is pretty much on a par with the same style of Grand Banks of the same vintage. Like Grand Banks, Island Gypsies have none of the spotty quality and inferior-materials issues that are commomplace among the many brands of similarly styled cabin cruisers that were built in Taiwan during the 70s and 80s.

There seem to be a fair number of Island Gypsies in the PNW although they are not as numerous as some of the other brands of similarly-styled cruisers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've seen a few that look really nice, 1 even has a fully enclosed flybridge they say is factory.

I know some of y'all said the Albin North Sea Cutter had some spotty quality control at best, but the idea of a cruiser that has a nice fishing area is nice. I'm going to look harder at a couple of the Island boats since the quality seems to be good. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one with the teak replaced!!

Back
Top Bottom