Towed home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But what the O.P. did was get $700 worth of tow for his 11 years at $200 a year coverage. It is one of those times when the insurance was not worth the cost... I would rather pay the $ 700 bucks vs. having paid the $ 2200.

Very true in this case. But I was only 3nm from my home port and they charge by the hour ($275/hr it looked like on the form, but that may have been a membership rate too?). If I was fishing at the other "local" spot, it's a 10nm run, and a bigger bill.

It's all risk analysis, and depending on where and how you boat, you may or may not find towing insurance worthwhile. I'd never used it before, but after this event I think I'll keep it. YMMV and reasonable minds may disagree.

I think we are mistaking something here. No amount of tow insurance is going to magically make a tow boat show up when a towboat is not available. You are just as likely to receive a tow with or without tow insurance. So the "peace of mind" deal is a financial peace of mind. Just because you have tow insurance does not guarantees you a tow. The only way a member is going to trump a non member is if they are both stranded at the same time...then the tow company is likely to tow the member first.

My point: Just because you do not have tow insurance does not leave you stranded in the case that you need a tow. You just have to pay for it out of pocket. That is the only difference(except my above example if two people are vying for the same tow boat). SO enjoy your boating. And if you need a tow, call one. If you are a member, then good for you. If not, you will still get towed but have to pay.

NOW you could argue "peace of mind" if tow membership was the ONLY way to get towed...then I would wholeheartedly agree. But the only "peace of mind" you are getting is financial peace of mind. And in most cases, as most have stated here, there services rendered have not exceeded their expense. And in my particular case, I am way ahead of the curve.

So to summarize my view...I will operate my boat responsibly and maintain it to the best of my ability. If I have troubles on the water that prevent me from continuing underway, I will do my best to fix the situation. If I am unable, I will call a tow. It is as simple as that.

Last edited:
I think Mattkab's mistake perhaps in his post was posting the financial information as if it "paid for itself." Had he simply stated, "I was glad I had it and just patiently waited for my tow" then we would be looking at it differently. And, if it made him happy and comfortable, then I'd say it was worth it. Intangibles have value just as tangibles do.

Yes, from a pure account ledger balance, I did not come out on top.

On the other hand, once the call was made and we knew the tow boat was on the way, the stress of the situation was gone, to the point that my buddy started fishing again.

I immediately knew I was going to be safe, my crew was going to be safe, and the boat was going to be safe.

If not for the tow plans, they wouldn't be as readily available.

That is a good point that I had not considered.

that may be not as common in the future...there is a move in the assistance towing business to only tow members. if not a member...a membership fee will be included in the first hour...I am not sure of the details as we don't do that yet...but some franchises have already started.

either way you are mostly correct and when I think people use the phrase "peace of mind"...they mean just pick up the phone...no muss no fuss....

If not a member the bill may be sticker shock....even though less than 20 years of paying non-used insurance...as has been said...its just a frame of mind that mimics all parts of life that people buy insurance for...dang near everything.

That is a good point that I had not considered.
plus the USCG would have to go back to towing and while a benefit in one respect...a disaster in others.

sure, you could just rely on a salvage based system to provide tows...but then you would wait forever, maybe never...and if they came...without competition...the 4170 or so a year would start to look REAL cheap.....

that may be not as common in the future...there is a move in the assistance towing business to only tow members. if not a member...a membership fee will be included in the first hour...I am not sure of the details as we don't do that yet...but some franchises have already started.

either way you are mostly correct and when I think people use the phrase "peace of mind"...they mean just pick up the phone...no muss no fuss....

If not a member the bill may be sticker shock....even though less than 20 years of paying non-used insurance...as has been said...its just a frame of mind that mimics all parts of life that people buy insurance for...dang near everything.

I did go back and edit to include that argument(ie members only).

All others, good points and excellent discussion!!!

My point: Just because you do not have tow insurance does not leave you stranded in the case that you need a tow. You just have to pay for it out of pocket.
And in most cases, as most have stated here, there services rendered have not exceeded their expense.

This is a good point.

But I have also heard on the VHF many disabled boats that are waiting for a fellow boater to come rescue them so they don't have to pay for the tow. To me, part of being self-sufficient is not requesting (requiring?) other boaters to come to your assistance, unless that is a service they provide.

I pay $200/yr for the ability to call a trained professional with the proper equipment to assist... I happen to boat in an area where there are a fleet of 5 full-time vessel assist boats within 50nm, and don't need to impose on other boaters in the case of a mechanical breakdown.

I'm also going to get my 9.9hp kicker motor out of storage and get her back up and running as well. :banghead:

The only way a member is going to trump a non member is if they are both stranded at the same time...then the tow company is likely to tow the member first.

The cynic in me wonders.

One guy's going to pay you $1000, the other guy you're going to tow for free. Hmmm...

you need to understand how the towing franchises make their money....and just how important good customer service is to their business health.

it might appear as you say...but it is not that simple.

Last edited:
This is a good point.

But I have also heard on the VHF many disabled boats that are waiting for a fellow boater to come rescue them so they don't have to pay for the tow. To me, part of being self-sufficient is not requesting (requiring?) other boaters to come to your assistance, unless that is a service they provide.

I pay $200/yr for the ability to call a trained professional with the proper equipment to assist... I happen to boat in an area where there are a fleet of 5 full-time vessel assist boats within 50nm, and don't need to impose on other boaters in the case of a mechanical breakdown.

I'm also going to get my 9.9hp kicker motor out of storage and get her back up and running as well. :banghead:

No argument here!!! I fully agree that you should hire a professional. I would never ask another random boater to tow me. I might ask a friend. And when people are querying me, I always offer to call a tow for them. Have I towed someone(good samaritan), Yes I have. But I am getting older and grumpier and in today's litigious society, no good deed goes unpunished!!!!

you need to understand how the towing franchises make their money....and just how important good customer service is to their business health.

it might appear as you say...but it is not that simple.

I am currently shopping for a boat. When I get it, I will join one of the services, if for no other reason than to support the service being available.

Peace of mind......more than financial
We were cruising the ICW a few years ago.We left Corpus Christi headed to Port Isabel.About halfway down the coast of Texas smack dab in the middle of nowhere. Our propeller shaft just snapped right in half . Luckily the shaft zinc kept us from losing the prop.We were just cruising along watching a beautiful sunset.So after shutdown.We let the anchor down.I dropped a light down into the water.My wife was more than willing to jump in the water a have a look.She saw the damage and reported back.So there we were,in the middle of nowhere.And it was getting dark.There is no boat traffic that far south.Not to worry ,we called the tow boat.
In the mean time we took showers and had dinner.hung out for awhile.Then took a nap until about 10:30 pm until the tow boat pulled up on us.He towed us all the way up north to Padre Island Yacht Club.We tied up for the night.
He said he would come back for us the next morning.Well.... he actually did.He continued to haul us to Rockport.That is where he left us.That bill was $2,300.All I did was sign the bottom line.
So there really is more than one kind of peace of mind.We were on vacation already.My wife considered all of that excitement to be fun.We took a ton of photos.She still tells the story today.She was happy to have paid for towing ins.
Happy wife.....Happy life

That story was actually much more fun than described.We met so many nice folks in that part of the world.
When we were first towed into the boat yard.I noticed it was really busy for a place so remote.I stepped off the boat and the worker said "are you here for the hurricane"? That was not expected.There was nothing in the forecast just the day before.By the end of the day,rain bands were pummeling us.I could go on ,but I gotta go.

Last edited:
obviously not avid long distance cruisers in these cases but...but I always have to chuckle when the spouse is RELIEVED that they are being towed back instead of the skipper driving. :eek:

another reason some are willing to pay....priceless.... in some cases...:D

obviously not avid long distance cruisers in these cases but...but I always have to chuckle when the spouse is RELIEVED that they are being towed back instead of the skipper driving. :eek:

another reason some are willing to pay....priceless.... in some cases...:D

Well we are youger folks that still have jobs.We can only go 200 miles east or west.
But when you are in middle of South Texas.You are a long distance cruiser.Because you are a long distance from everything.
The point is that towing ins.is one of the the cheapest expenditures in boating.If it's available . We're doing it.

Peace of mind......more than financial
We were cruising the ICW a few years ago.We left Corpus Christi headed to Port Isabel.About halfway down the coast of Texas smack dab in the middle of nowhere. Our propeller shaft just snapped right in half . Luckily the shaft zinc kept us from losing the prop.We were just cruising along watching a beautiful sunset.So after shutdown.We let the anchor down.I dropped a light down into the water.My wife was more than willing to jump in the water a have a look.She saw the damage and reported back.So there we were,in the middle of nowhere.And it was getting dark.There is no boat traffic that far south.Not to worry ,we called the tow boat.
In the mean time we took showers and had dinner.hung out for awhile.Then took a nap until about 10:30 pm until the tow boat pulled up on us.He towed us all the way up north to Padre Island Yacht Club.We tied up for the night.
He said he would come back for us the next morning.Well.... he actually did.He continued to haul us to Rockport.That is where he left us.That bill was $2,300.All I did was sign the bottom line.
So there really is more than one kind of peace of mind.We were on vacation already.My wife considered all of that excitement to be fun.We took a ton of photos.She still tells the story today.She was happy to have paid for towing ins.
Happy wife.....Happy life

That story was actually much more fun than described.We met so many nice folks in that part of the world.
When we were first towed into the boat yard.I noticed it was really busy for a place so remote.I stepped off the boat and the worker said "are you here for the hurricane"? That was not expected.There was nothing in the forecast just the day before.By the end of the day,rain bands were pummeling us.I could go on ,but I gotta go.

You still could have received that same exact service....it is only the financial part that is a relief. So you missed my point still and subsequently did not prove yours. THE TOW BOAT WOULD HAVE SHOWED UP REGARDLESS!!!

But I agree with the rest of your post!!!! It is a great area down there. You really are on the middle of nowhere!!!

Ok....whatever.Pardon me for missing your point and also not cruising far enough.I come here every single day for nice folks and good stories.But honestly this forum was the last one that was different than all the rest.thats why I like coming over here.Over the last year,it's becoming like all the rest.I was happy to finally contribute something,but.....

The bottom line in all this, in my opinion, is it's a totally individual preference just like almost everything else is that has to do with boating.

Everyone is different. If someone feels that having towing insurance is a smart solution to a potential problem they'd prefer not to deal with, then tow insurance is well worth getting. Someone else may look at it analytically and come to the conclusion that they wouldn't use the insurance enough to warrant the cost and they're willing to deal with the potential hassle of having to conjure up a solution if their engine stops being one.

My wife has no qualms about flying into remote country in the BC and SE Alaska coast ranges where there is no communication whatsoever with the outside (we don't have a sat phone), and doing this in a floatplane powered by a single engine that was manufactured during WWII. But..... when it comes to a boat, she is at ease and confident only in a vessel with two or more engines.

Why the discrepancy? Beats the hell out of me. But that's the way she feels so we have multi-engine boats. A happy and enthusiastic boating partner is far more important than extra space in the engine room and reduced service and maintenance costs.

Towing insurance is the same way. It exists because there are enough boaters who feel it provides a degree of confidence, peace of mind and problem-solving that is worth paying for. If we had a single engine boat we'd probably have towing insurance if for no other reason that it would provide my wife with a degree of the kind of confidence she finds with a second engine under the floor.

Some people buy a fast boat that uses a ton of fuel to get to the same place the fellow in the slow boat goes using a fraction of the fuel but four times the time. Paying for the ton of fuel is worth it for the fast boat guy, and not paying for a ton of fuel is worth it for the slow boat guy. Having or not having towing insurance is no different.

Last edited:
Ok....whatever.Pardon me for missing your point and also not cruising far enough.I come here every single day for nice folks and good stories.But honestly this forum was the last one that was different than all the rest.thats why I like coming over here.Over the last year,it's becoming like all the rest.I was happy to finally contribute something,but.....

Sorry man....I didn't mean to offend and it was nothing personal. I was just trying to make that point. I will get off of it now. Please accept my apologies!

After a bonehead maneuver that resulted in my anchor rode fouling both props and the boat drifting to a rocky levee on a falling tide, I got my money's worth out of my tow insurance. One diver dove on the boat with the following results: Two props cleared, one anchor and ride recovered, boat towed from shore for an uneventful restart and continuation of our week-long trip. Cost would have been over $1300, but no charge for me.

I won't leave home without my BoatUS/Vessel Assist tow insurance. If I never am towed again, I still gain tremendous peace of mind...even with twins.

Attachments

• Diver.jpg
    Diver.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Maybe tow companies could provide a discount to twin engine boats!!!!....:)

We have towing insurance with Boat US and we have some included with our boat policy. I talked to our agent a while back about towing coverage and mentioned the Boat US coverage. His reply was Boat US was primary. Between the two policy's we have a combined $4K worldwide. Boat US has some restrictions like notification first, max. per hour plus a cap and I'm sure at least one other restriction I missed. Our boat policy has similar restrictions but no prior notification if an emergency. We've never tested it but it does give piece some piece of mind.

Just checked my yacht insurance policy. My insurance covers the cost of towing up to my hull value. I see no need for other coverage. The difference between the coverage under my yacht policy and under a towing insurance policy is that I would most likely have to pay the bill and then submit a claim for reimbursement.

Before buying additional towing coverage everyone should check their primary yacht insurance coverage. If you are covered under your primary policy, then what you are really buying with Boat US or similar coverage is the use of the towing companies money. So for a $1,000 towing bill, a $200 premium comes to a 20% service charge for the use of the money for the time it would have taken for reimbursement under your primary policy.

Last edited:
One point I just thought of...the dingy.

For those that range far and wide with the dingy (powered dingy)...it is also covered and worth it unless you carry the tools, spare parts, and a lot of drinks/sunscreen to git'er done and get home or row all the way.

Much nicer for the towboat to just drop you off at your transom and fix the engine at your leisure...like with a cold one and the steaks sizzling....

Just checked my yacht insurance policy. My insurance covers the cost of towing up to my hull value. I see no need for other coverage. The difference between the coverage under my yacht policy and under a towing insurance policy is that I would most likely have to pay the bill and then submit a claim for reimbursement.

Not doubting you...but is the first time I ever heard that.

I would check and double check how many times you can make a towing claim before it hurts your premiums and or gets you cancelled. I have heard of that a few times that big towing claims can get you dropped. Even my boat insurance guy has towing insurance for just that reason.

.have both Boat US and Sea tow because they don't want to wait. s.

We have both because we boat in different areas. You also mentioned member prioritization or members only and on the lake we lived on, members got to the front of the line.

The name of the game too is signing up or otherwise getting members in your area.

Someone mentioned incentive. Well, you fail to serve members and word gets around fast. Soon there are no renewals and not enough tow business to support servicing the area.

Now, the worst thing I believe Boat US has ever done with their towing is the Basic $24 plan which on the lake nearly every dealer was giving a year of it with a boat sale and many marinas were including it with annual leases. People don't understand that it only pays the first $50. However, it does get you treated as a member.

On the lake, bringing fuel to boats was a large part of the business.

One point I just thought of...the dingy.

For those that range far and wide with the dingy (powered dingy)...it is also covered and worth it unless you carry the tools, spare parts, and a lot of drinks/sunscreen to git'er done and get home or row all the way.

Much nicer for the towboat to just drop you off at your transom and fix the engine at your leisure...like with a cold one and the steaks sizzling....

A very good point. I have recently been stranded on my dinghy. And it wasn't pleasant. Luckily I was close to home.

Which brings up another point. I am almost positive the policy holder(Sea Tow,etc.) is covered on any boat that he is responsible for. If you borrow your buddy's boat(and your buddy canNOT be aboard), then you are covered on his boat or any other boat as long as the uncovered owner is not aboard.

A very good point. I have recently been stranded on my dinghy. And it wasn't pleasant. Luckily I was close to home.

Which brings up another point. I am almost positive the policy holder(Sea Tow,etc.) is covered on any boat that he is responsible for. If you borrow your buddy's boat(and your buddy canNOT be aboard), then you are covered on his boat or any other boat as long as the uncovered owner is not aboard.
true..it also covers certain charter situations and a few others I would have to look up to be positive.

towing insurance deserves a look by all boaters In areas mostly or solidly covered...but I'll agree it is not for everyone...even if it is cheaper than most things in boating.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom