liquor into BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raindr

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Millie B
Vessel Make
34 CHB Tricabin
just curious as to peoples experiences bringing spirits over your duty free limit into BC. Does it end up costing the same, less or more than purchasing once you clear customs? I buy liquor in Montana so we dont have the high taxes of Washington state, average price for say, bacardi rum 1.75 ltr is $23-25.
thanks

If you report an over limit liquor quota plan on a lengthy delay at the BC boating border crossings.

No shortage of booze in BC so best to avoid the hassle.

What town are you from in Montana, we are near Three Forks.

If you report an over limit liquor quota plan on a lengthy delay at the BC boating border crossings.

No shortage of booze in BC so best to avoid the hassle.

I only have one experience of this. I entered BC at Prince Rupert Island. I tied up at a marina and called customs/immigration on the phone. They didn't drive out to the boat. One of the questions the officer asked was if I had any wine or spirits on board. I said yes. All he said in reply was "if, in the unlikely event, you fail to consume all of your alcohol before leaving Canadian waters, you will take the remaining bottles out of the country with you, right?" To which I responded, laughingly, "yes!"

YMMV of course.

Richard

Whitefish

I've often taken several partial bottles of liquor, plus my maximum beer or wine. I declare it, the customs officer (always on the phone) asks if everything will be consumed on the boat, I say yes, and they say it is "bar stock" and not subject to tax.

The worst thing you can do is not declare your liquor, get inspected, and have it found. They really don't react well to that. If you declare it, the worst they'll do is make you pay duty, and I think in most cases you'll be fine to take it across duty-free. Just be sure make sure the bottles of liquor are open and a little bit has been consumed.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Whether driving flying or boating into BC the limits per person are 38.5 oz of hard liquor, 24 12 oz cans of beer or 1.5 liters of wine. The leniency of a customs person does not negate the official language.

We cross the order at least 6 times per year and have been doing for almost half a century. Never yet seen the term bar stock.

When crossing into BC by automobile in June, the Canadian customs official asked if we were carrying alcohol. We said a half-dozen bottles of wine for personal consumption. That was fine with him, but he had our one apple confiscated.

We report via phone with our Nexus passes. I go out of my way to be at or under the limit. I don't want to detour a couple of hours for alcohol.

When we enter Ontario Canada we declare our liquor as "ships stores". Never asked for quantity.

Our trawler is Portland, our plans to return to Mexico, had to be put on hold after a Mule kicked me almost two years ago. I'll be back in Portland in a couple of weeks. Still living the plan.

These tales are consistent with my experiences of crossing into Canada in the Midwest and on the East Coast. I always first explain that we live aboard and that we have just our normal supply with the spirits open. I then estimate the number of liters of each category. Had more problems with an onion than with my liquor supply.

"The worst thing you can do is not declare your liquor, get inspected, and have it found. They really don't react well to that."

My wife, at the time, drove our land yacht across at Windsor on the way to the Trois Riviere Grand Prix hauling liquor provisions for 3 weeks and entertaining at two racetracks. She failed to declare the four cases of wine and multiple bottles of scotch and whiskey:blush:. She happened to get searched and, upon finding the contraband,...thoroughly searched! She was warned by the race team she was to be traveling with to not cross at that location but she wanted the shortest route...needles to say the team tractor/trailers beat her to the track. As this happened about 9 years ago she may still be on the "watch" list:facepalm:.

A year or two ago, TF member Kolive (I think that's who it was) posted that he took more that the allotted amount of wine into BC and he simply payed the duty by credit card. And, I don't remember him mentioning anything about any sort of delay.

A year or two ago, TF member Kolive (I think that's who it was) posted that he took more that the allotted amount of wine into BC and he simply payed the duty by credit card. And, I don't remember him mentioning anything about any sort of delay.

I think my ex's problems arose from intentionally failing to disclose and the rather large amount (in their eyes:rolleyes:) of alcohol present. I don't think she was aware that she could declare it and pay a duty. In retrospect, as friend with a home in Quebec City later informed us, it would have been cheaper to just buy all our liquor at the SAQ as with price controls it would have been less cost than paying the duty on top of the US purchase price.

we've been over the limit and declared it. Not by a lot and CA Customs let it go. Another time we were under the limit for the number of people on the boat but forgot to declare one bottle of spirits. We lost the bottle and about 1 hour of paper work plus the cost of the embarrassment from our guests.

On the way back from a recent trip into Canada we stopped at the duty free store and dropped about $350 on liquor. When we got to the US Customs stop the officer asked if we had anything to declare. I told him we bought "some" liquor at the duty free shop. He waved us through without batting an eye.

As CDN living on the border and crossing daily. The rule is you will ALWAYS be subject to the discretion of the officer your dealing with. Exactly what and how you declare will determine his response.

OK, we've discussed this issue of how much can you bring across the border, but my question is this:

How much is the duty if they ask you to pay it? How much per liter is it going to cost you?

How much is the duty if they ask you to pay it? How much per liter is it going to cost you?

Lots! For B.C., I calculated $21.00 on a $20 dollar bottle of French Wine and $54 dollars on a $30 dollar bottle of French brandy and, are you ready -- $86 on a 1.75 liter bottle of American Gin. All using this Duty Calculator

Last edited:
HOLY CRAP that is expensive. I calc'd a 1.75L bottle of 80proof whiskey with a value of $35. The duty was over $82.

Jesus Jenny that is outrageous. It would be cheaper to buy the booze in Canada.

HOLY CRAP that is expensive. I calc'd a 1.75L bottle of 80proof whiskey with a value of $35. The duty was over $82.

Jesus Jenny that is outrageous. It would be cheaper to buy the booze in Canada.

That's the whole idea. Canada wants that tax. They don't care if you buy it in Canada or bring it with you as long as they get their pound of flesh.
The wild card is the individual officer, if he feels like doing the paperwork.

I called a BC liquor store and asked what the out the door price was on a bottle of bacardi -1.75 ltr was, $48 for the bottle, $56 for the leeches--$104!! how can those people put up with that cr%p? Talked to another boater who spends all summer in the Broutons with a WATERMAKER on board--dont look too close at the copper coils??!!

Lots! For B.C., I calculated $21.00 on a $20 dollar bottle of French Wine and $54 dollars on a $30 dollar bottle of French brandy and, are you ready -- $86 on a 1.75 liter bottle of American Gin. All using this Duty Calculator

Why would you even bring that stuff with you, you can get it in any liquor store, plus get a discount of 25% on the dollar exchange. :rolleyes:

What's the Canadian duty on a 0.75 liter of wine brought across the border costing $2.50 in the US?

They seem to be most concerned with alcohol and tobacco. Other than collecting tax money, what is the other reason for duty?

Do they want you to buy these things in Canada instead? Makes sense.

Or, are they afraid you'll sell these things to Canadians and they won't get any tax money? Makes less sense, but possible.

Or both?

Either way, why aren't they worried about the fuel I have on board? That has a lot more value than any amount of alcohol I'd ever take.

Also, they've asked a couple of times if I had any "gifts" for any Canadians. ???

What's the Canadian duty on a 0.75 liter of wine brought across the border costing $2.50 in the US?
There is probably no duty on a bottle of wine of that value, just a mandatory pour-out!
:D

That's probably the best thing that could happen to a $2.50 bottle of wine.

Even Two Buck Chuck is now $3.

Even Two Buck Chuck is now $3.

Bought three bottles of Chuck's at the local TJs at $2.49 today. This is our private stock. Guests get something more costly.

Back
Top Bottom