Which Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roger Long

Vessel Name
Gypsy Star
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
We have just purchased a Kadey-Krogen Manatee which has a gypsy only windlass and a rope/chain rode. I want to convert to all chain and have been looking through the West Marine website for new windlass options.

I was surprised at the number of negative reviews for Lewmar's as I always thought their products were pretty good. Maxwell looks great but way out of our price range.

We want a freefall windlass as I think being able to deploy the anchor quickly without power is a safety issue. It must be a horizontal windlass, much as I would prefer vertical, because of lack of space below deck.

Would appreciate hearing any experiences or suggestions that might shed light on the choice.

Roger

Windlasses, like many things related to boats are not inexpensive, and your boat is not small so the budget numbers that would work for a cabin cruiser for example might not fit with a boat like your Krogen.

We replaced our windlass this spring with a Lofrans Tigress unit. It has free fall capability as do most large windlasses by backing off the clutch. Wether that is a required safety issue is arguable, but the feature it there.

The cost of the windlass was in the $2500 range or thereabouts.

RL, I installed a Ideal vertical windlass on our Manatee. I can handle chain or rope from either anchor with the vertical windlass and there is plenty of room below for the gear box motor assemble. I thought I would not need the power down option but to anchor properly you need it. I have photos if you would like to see the installation.

I recently replaced my twenty plus year old Simpson Lawrence windlass with the current Lewmar version of it. Neither is a "free fall" windlass as you have to power down the anchor in normal circumstances. What you want is a windlass with a manual release for use in an emergency. My old S/L windlass didn't have that. My new Lewmar does have a manual release. I think all windlass have manual releases today. I like the power down feature as I feel more in control but the manual release is important.

...We replaced our windlass this spring with a Lofrans Tigress unit..

:thumb: We had one on our last boat (32K displacement) for 7 years, anchoring out at least 6 months per year and it never let us down. Reviews from other cruisers have always been favorable. You can download a mounting template from Lofrans' web site to see how it would fit.

We replaced the windlass that was original to our boat with a Lofrans Tigres. It is an outstanding piece of equipment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 199
And another Loftan Tigress user highly recommends.❤️

Think about this...

With our Lofrans Tigress we regularly anchor in 300+ feet of water.

Our all chain rode, combined with our 80 lb anchor results in a over 430 pound dead lift, plus whatever it takes to break out the anchor.

And the Tigress works great at it.:D

Roger, do you mean it has a capstan only? A gypsy is for chain. If so, have you contacted the manufacturer about replacing the capstan with a gypsy? Many offer this capability. Make sure it matches whatever chain you have.

Another vote for Ideal. Top quality, American made, and customer service / support second to none.

Ted

You seem to be getting a lot of positive comments on the Lofrans Tigres. I've never used that windlass so I can't comment on it. I do however know the importer very well. I've been doing business with Imtra Corp. for about forty years. It is a first class company to deal with. They respond quickly to questions and they have parts in stock.

The minimum advertised price on the Lofrans Tigres 12 volt is $2726.50.
If you ask your preferred dealer for a quote you might get it for a little less.

I have owned the Tigres and Caymen by Lorfans, both are excellent.

Another vote for Ideal Windlasses. Maxwell forced me to get rid of a perfectly good big windlass because after 13 years Maxwell no longer supplied parts. Ideal stocks parts for every windlass it has made.

Maxwell forced me to get rid of a perfectly good big windlass because after 13 years Maxwell no longer supplied parts.
I have a Maxwell 1200 and am surprised at the above comment.:mad:

Had 2 of Maxwell's inexpensive capstans on my charter boat. First one lasted 3 years; second one lasted 2.5 years. Charter boats are considered commercial application according to them, so no consideration. Have an Ideal that will go on this winter. More money, but a much better product and no charter boat warranty exclusion.

Ted

Anybody have/used a Lofrans X3.5 windlass?

Vertical Windlass X3.5

The PO put an anchor pulpit above Badger's original bow roller. I'm hoping to keep our day to day anchor on the pulpit (using the X3.5's capstan winch) and use the gypsy for a storm anchor (which would use the original bow roller that's cut into and inset below the cap rail).

With a little luck things just might might line up.......

I like the X3.5 because it's their smallest windlass with a hand brake, which I can foresee using to 'feel' the bottom.

Murray, a little confused by what I think you are trying to do. Both the gypsy and capstan turn in unison at the same time, how could you keep the chain gypsy loaded and use the rope capstan?

Murray, a little confused by what I think you are trying to do. Both the gypsy and capstan turn in unison at the same time, how could you keep the chain gypsy loaded and use the rope capstan?

This is from the X3.5 manual;

5.3 Use of the warping drum. The warping drum can be used regardless of the gipsy, to help the mooring manoeuvres.

1 – Tighten the brake and make sure that the anchor is appropriately blocked.

2 - Insert the manoeuvre handle into the drum and disengage the clutch by turning it clockwise. This operation will make the drum independent of the gipsy.

3 – Turn clockwise around the drum with three laps of rope.

4 – By keeping the end of the rope, press the UP button and carry out the mooring manoeuvre.

5 – Once the manoeuvre is ended, remove the rope from the drum and fasten it to a bollard

Doesn't this mean you could use the capstan winch for a lighter anchor with a rope & chain rode (as we do right now with our simple capstan only windlass and 22 pound anchor) with the chain gypsy disengaged?

Thanks Murray for the clarification, sound like it would do as you wish. Lofrans build great windlasses, our Tigress is 15 years old and not a problem......:thumb:

I have a Vetus winch and that is the way it works....

In reality though...you tie off the anchor either way so even if they didn't disengage from one another, you could just lift the chain off the wildcat.

Muir are good and have freefall.I believe they are available in USA, they back their product, even as they get old. They are fitted as a matter of course by Aussie boat builders like Riviera and Maritimo. Could be more expensive than Lofrans. If memory serves, I think ksanders sold his when he fitted a Lofrans and new anchor set up.

RL lots of information on various windlasses, thought you might like to see how a Ideal vertical windlass looks on our Manatee.

Attachments

• 030 (3).jpg
    030 (3).jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 024 (3).jpg
    024 (3).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 57
Neat set up HiDHo. Is that factory or DIY?

I am in the middle of installing a Tigres and the Italians aren't big on documentation. They talk about a 3 wire motor but don't show the labeling of the terminals. The only terminal that is marked is the negative, but the mark looks like a 1. You have to assume the one of the left corresponds to M1 and the one to the right of ground is M2. I hate to assume.

Tom

Always liked the way you did that on HiDHo. I always thought that if my current on crapped out, I'd copy your setup. I like the way the plate cleans up the surface and spreads the twist load.

I am in the middle of installing a Tigres and the Italians aren't big on documentation. They talk about a 3 wire motor but don't show the labeling of the terminals. The only terminal that is marked is the negative, but the mark looks like a 1. You have to assume the one of the left corresponds to M1 and the one to the right of ground is M2. I hate to assume.

Tom

In the wiring diagram shown here for 3 wire windlass motor, looking from the motor the wires look like: M1-left, negative(black)-middle and M2-right. If the M wires were reversed the windlass would still run but the foot switches would be reversed.......:thumb:

Attachments

• Lofrans 3 wire.pdf
    136 KB · Views: 41
HiDHo very pretty, but your anchors are too small, the wrong kind and you don't have enough chain.

The only really OLD windlass or capstans I see still working are IDEAL.

There us a reason.

I just don't see the reason to buy a foreign made windlass unless absolute cheapest initial cost is the only consideration. In addition to Ideal (came with the Hatteras. great little company with great service), there are very high quality and service windlasses made by RC Plath in Oregon, Lighthouse in California, and for small to mid size boats, Good in New Jersey. They don't have the marketing budgets of the conglomerate-owned foreigners, to be sure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom