Pilothouse Trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tidahapah wrote:

...*some people just have ugly sight.
It's all a matter of opinion. ...* And it is amazing of the lack of taste (poor choice of aesthetics, etc.) many people have, at least from my point of view.* But who am I to judge? ...**Pursue your joy.

Back in the day , when the owner simply paid the bills ,and the yard did the work,

N Herrishoff used to recommend having the best looking boat in the yard.

The concept was the crew would do the finest work, take the extra time on the Queen.

Now that were all unpaid garbage sorters and few have the yard "do it all" the concept of having a good looking boat still pays.

Our very simple "lobster boat" is very workmanlike , hardly yachtie , yet we get excellent service when we pull in.

Carey wrote:

Carey,
I totally will side with you on that comment... I know that boat and I am totally unimpressed with it.. so is the owner, he bought a GB36 to replace it!. The inside is worse than the outside ( I know that is hard to imagine! ) we have a word for a boat that looks like that one... FUGLY!
HOLLYWOOD
HollywoodI may have to steal that word, or at least appropriate it from time to time.

I think that you guys are not using that word it a grammatically correct manner. It is a contraction, and the proper way to write it is F'UGLY.

Willard Trawlers were mentioned early in this post. The Willard 40 is a TRUE Trawler, soft chined, full displacement, single engine and truely one of the most econimacal 40 foot power boats on the water. Last year we cruised from South Central Alaska (Prince William Sound) down to Puget Sound Washington for a total of 2500 nautical miles, our avarage speed was 6.8 knots and average fuel consumption was 1.6 gal per hour. This fuel consumption includes running the gen nearly 200 hours as well as heating the boat. When we first started the journey we ran the dickinson heater for 30 straight days.

Here's a couple of pictures of our Willard 40 Pilot House "Lady Anne"*next to several other Trawlers for a comparison. Rafted next to a Krogan 40, Behind a Nordic 42, and rafted up with a GB42 and a Puget Trawler 40. The Willard is truely a great True Trawler that should not be over looked! By the way we are powered with a FL120 and she has no blisters.

Rob and Anne
"Lady Anne" W40PH
La Conner, Wa./Girdwood, Alaska

-- Edited by Rob on Friday 31st of December 2010 12:16:03 PM

Attachments

• nordic 42 and willard 40 ph.jpg
    nordic 42 and willard 40 ph.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 162
  • lady anne w40ph.jpg
    lady anne w40ph.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 641
Hi Rob,A true trawler? Hmmmmm Lots of these guys have said wonderful things about my Willy. Willards are not overlooked here Rob. But are Willards more of a trawler than others? Sounds like you're saying that a trawler w the greatest draft, the biggest engine w the lowest hp, the longest range and styling that says "deep sea long range boat" is more "trawler" than others. You're probably right. But why do you say TRUE trawler. There's a strong implication there that there must be many out there that aren't really trawlers. There's only one person here that was accused of not having a trawler and he will be the only one that remembers it but I thought about it from time to time and came to the conclusion that he possessed a real and true trawler. There are trawlers that spec as more of a trawler than Willards and there are many trawlers here that hardly spec out as a trawler at all or/and don't look hardly at all like a trawler. I think there's a possibility that the heavy trawlers like Willards and Fishers are more "serious" trawlers and their owners or skippers are more boat and voyage oriented and aspire to longer voyaging w more emphasis on navigation and preparedness than anchoring in Desolation Sound sitting around in bathing suits eating and swimming in the sun. Our good fellow moderator has a Mainship Pilot 30 that I thought was'nt a trawler for most of the time I've been here but I've firmly changed my mind. The Pilot is styled after lobster boats to be sure and they have a solid rep as a sea kindly design and it is diesel powered.
I'm not sure HE even considers it a trawler but it is. It would need to look more like a Bayliner or Sea Ray to be not trawler. OK, so we've got the trawlers that don't spec strongly as a trawler and then we've got the Krogens, Diesel Ducks, Willards and Delfin's boat (Romsdall?). Here's what I've been working up to. Perhaps the "true" trawlers are the Chbs, Marine Traders, Monks, Nordic Tugs, GBs, Island Gypsys, Sundowners and others. The dictionary is no help "a boat that does trawlering ". But if one hauled people in off the street (or farm fields) showed them pics of our boats here on TF and asked them to identify the trawlers I have a sneaking suspicion they would point to the Chbs and Marine Traders. Look at your last picture Rob * *..Your Willard looks more like a fishing boat or a passagemaker than a trawler. Wish I could afford it too.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 31st of December 2010 01:16:01 PM

I won't name any names, but it sure would be nice if people used short paragraphs rather one real biggie where I keep getting lost trying to pick out the correct following line.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 31st of December 2010 01:21:01 PM

To me, a recreational trawler is a cruiser not having enough power to get onto a plane.* But for the purposes of this forum, it is a frame of mind.

Hea "MarkPrice" I know that my writting sucks! My secretary let me know it all the time back in those working days of yester year. Oh well we are all entitled to our opinions. By the way I like the look of yur boat. Happy New Year, Rob.

Rob, you weren't the "target" of my big-paragraph comment.

I like the look of your boat too.* It says "trawler" all over.

nomadwilly wrote:Sounds like you're saying that a trawler w the greatest draft, the biggest engine w the lowest hp, the longest range and styling that says "deep sea long range boat" is more "trawler" than others.
A trawler pulls a trawl net.* Period.* As Eric has rightly pointed out in the past, NONE of our boats are trawlers except to the marketing people who decided to incorrectly apply the name to recreational boats for image and branding purposes.* A Willard is no more a trawler than a Bayliner or a Sea Ray.

Agreeing with Eric again, I think his reference to boats like ours as "heavy cruisers" is more accurate.* American Marine referred to their Grand Banks line of boats as "Dependable Diesel Cruisers."

The name "trawler" as applied to boats like ours is here to stick, and I have no delusions that it will ever change.* But I, for one, don't use that term when talking about our or any other type of recreational boat.* I might say "trawler-type" from time to time, but they are all "cabin cruisers" to me.

No net, no trawler.

Is owning a "recreational trawler" like owning a "recreational bulk carrier?"

magicbus wrote:

FWIW according to Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recreational_trawler
Thanks for the link to the very interesting and informative link. I was pretty sure that I was familiar with what sort of a boat I've been running for all of these years. Maybe a better term a Pleasure Trawler would be a Cruising Trawler. Eric knows that there are several different names for Fishing Trawlers in Alaska as well: Dragger, High liner, Seiner and Long Liner. All the same vessel, just fishin' a different application. Most of the South Easters don't call there Seiners, trawlers either do they? I guess that they are all simply stated as "Full Displacement" vessels.

The picture below is what I call a Very Full Displacement boat.

Happy New Year

Rob & Anne
"Lady Anne" W40PH
La Conner, Wa./Girdwood, Ak.

Attachments

• very full displacement boat.jpg
    very full displacement boat.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 247
The big problem I see with the Willard 40 pilothouse is that they didn't make enough of them.
disbelief.gif

Ted

markpierce wrote:

S/L Ratio..... Knots..... HP
1 ...... ..........5.63........ 3.9
1.1............... 6.19....... 6.0
1.2 ...............6.75....... 9.5
1.25............. 7.03...... 12.8
1.3............... 7.32...... 17.3
1.35.............. 7.6........ 23.5
1.6................ 9.0 ...... 149.3

Yup, at one gallon per hour per 20 horsepower equates to about 7 gallons an our at 149 horsepower. Someone should tell George.

Markpierce, those are nice numbers. Am I correct in assuming that they are software generated as opposed to actual consumption?

Ted

Hey Rob,
That crabber sure has someth'in on his boat. Hopefully it's crab and not bilge water.
We call them seiners seiners. Fishermen don't give a rat whether it's full disp or not as long as it catches the fish and hauls em. Love your pic Rob.
My dictionary is 3" thick but Wikipedia out did it big time. Good definition.
Mark,
I wonder about those numbers too. A Willard 30 takes just about exactly 18hp to push the 17000lb boat 6 knots. Looks like on your chart the Duck requires well under half that.
Great boat Mark**** .....maybe a little too great. And I don't know what the 9 knot number is doing there. Anybody knows a 34' FD boat is NEVER expected to go 9 knots.
OC
I agree**** ....way to few of them. Especially pilothouse models.

O C Diver wrote:

Markpierce, those are nice numbers. Am I correct in assuming that they are software generated as opposed to actual consumption?

I presume they're theoretical/computed figures as opposed to actual measures, but you'll have to ask*marine architect*George Buehler for the answer.

*http://www.dieselducks.com/Coot.html

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 1st of January 2011 12:32:11 AM

A displacement boat same as mine is usually called a coastal cruiser here in Aus.
Trawlers are trawlers and tow fish or prawn trawls.
Ocean cruisers such as Nordie or Watson are just that.
Mine I just call the boat.
Benn

Trawler in the yachtie world is a style of deck house and accomidation plan.

Stuck under the house could be a full displacement or ski boat hull or anything in between.

The scantlings could be anything from rock crusher to paper machie.

The engine and tankage anything from Cape Horn to M>M.

Trawler is a STYLE , like art deco is a style, nothing more.

Marin wrote:Is owning a "recreational trawler" like owning a "recreational bulk carrier?"

Speaking of "recreational bulk carriers"

Attachments

• fatguyinboat.jpg
    fatguyinboat.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 86
markpierce wrote:

O C Diver wrote:

I presume they're theoretical/computed figures as opposed to actual measures, but you'll have to ask marine architect George Buehler for the answer.

http://www.dieselducks.com/Coot.html

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 1st of January 2011 12:32:11 AM

I'm familiar with George's work as I purchased study plans from him 8* years ago. It looks like a very nice boat. Have you seen this page by Seahorse?

<a href="http://www.seahorseyachts.com/core/listing/pl_boat_detail.jsp?&units=Feet&id=682952&lang=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=seahorsemarine&&ywo=seahorsemarine&" target="_blank" title="Seahourse Yachts Coot">http://www.seahorseyachts.com/core/...&&hosturl=seahorsemarine&&ywo=seahorsemarine&
</a>
According to Seahorse the boat has a cruising range of either 1400 or 1800 miles at 7 knots. Assuming a 10% reserve, 1800 miles divided by 351 (390-39) gallons = 5.13 miles per gallon. 7 knots divided by 5.13 MPG equals 1.36 Gallons per hour.

Clearly there seems to be a difference of opinion. Looking forward to your actual consumption numbers.

Ted

O C Diver wrote:

Looking forward to your actual consumption numbers.
The boat is to be equipped with a Floscan meter, so we'll find out.

nomadwilly wrote:

Hi Rob,
Our good fellow moderator has a Mainship Pilot 30 that I thought was'nt a trawler for most of the time I've been here but I've firmly changed my mind. The Pilot is styled after lobster boats to be sure and they have a solid rep as a sea kindly design and it is diesel powered.
I'm not sure HE even considers it a trawler but it is. It would need to look more like a Bayliner or Sea Ray to be not trawler.

Hey Eric, my boat has the word "Trawler" stamped on both sides of it!!!!...So it must be one.

And Rob, I absolutely LOVE the Willard 40 and will agree with Carey....they just didn't make enough. *And I will take that thought a little further in that many of my favorite boats rarely make it over to the other two coasts. *So if located one of these things and wanted to get it home it require a tour thru Panama or shipping it over the road.

As has often been mentioned on this forum, the Willard is alive and well. The company elected to eschew the*vagaries and financial* pitfalls of the consumer*market and build for the Navy and CG. Their decison has proven to be sound, much to the sadnees of many of us. There are very few "trawlers" built today that are cost effective and yet remain mainstream. The wealthy can afford Nordhavns and Selenes, but what is left over for the so called middle class (as Obama says those with less than $250K adjusted gross income) in the way of new vessels? Very few.*

RickB,

Thank you for your interpretation of a recreational bulk carrier! It started my new year off in the right direction.

Ray

John,
I DID say that I now think your Pilot IS a trawler but I had a hard time going from my old concept of what a trawler was to accepting a full planing boat as a trawler. Just didn't compute before. Kinda like the Nordic's saying "go fast go slow". I've learned a lot since I first sailed into the Sea of Trawler Forum. I've been considering boats and practices I've long ranted and argued against like buying a big square stern boat and running it's engine at 30% load. A big part of the reason I have been able to think that way is because that's almost all of what's on the market. Basically most all of us don't have much choice. Those are big steps even for me but I don't think I'll ever be able to think of small full planing OB boats as trawlers but look at the big changes in attitudes I've already made. Who knows? I think your boat is a trawler and I've come to that conclusion on my own but I don't put much stock in what manufacturers say since Sea Dory advertises their boat as a "trailerable trawler". An amazing number of folks go long distances w them and I don't think there is a Sea Dory here now but Mr Cook has done serious voyaging w one so who knows ??????

As I said before,*a trawler is a state of mind on this forum.* Owners of sedan (planing-speed) cruisers*feel comfortable and are accepted here.* We're not limited to recreational/cruising (displacement-speed) trawlers.*

That's funny Eric, because I can't bring myself to call my boat a trawler. Lobster boat...maybe. Picnic boat...maybe. Even Express Cruiser. If somebody asks me what kind of boat I have, if I say "Trawler" then I think they would get the wrong impression. Anyway, like Mark said, who cares.

Mark, John,
Mark said it all. I agree. And John, express cruiser is probably most accurate I agree too.
I was just being analytical. One of my habits*** ...for good or bad. Now just to keep the ball rolling is a bulk carrier a trawler?

Baker wrote:

That's funny Eric, because I can't bring myself to call my boat a trawler. Lobster boat...maybe. Picnic boat...maybe. Even Express Cruiser. If somebody asks me what kind of boat I have, if I say "Trawler" then I think they would get the wrong impression. Anyway, like Mark said, who cares.
John, to my mind, the Mainship Pilot series are Downeast style express cruisers.

There was a couple back in the 70's that cruised the East coast*and contributed to the Waterway Guide.* Their boat was,*if memory serves correctly, a converted salmon trawler named Chinook.**That and a few converted* shrimp and fish trawlers are the only true "trawler yachts" that I know of.* Of course, there are a few true converted tugs that are the real "tug yachts".

Other boats may claim to be trawlers, but they are really cruisers of different types.* As Marin pointed out, Grand Banks calls their boats "dependable diesel cruisers".

I like the term long range cruiser or something like that.* Trawler cruising is probably more of a*state of mind than type of boat------cover fairly long distances, spend alot of time at anchor, cruise over long periods and being able to be self sufficient for a period of time.

Back
Top Bottom