Old 08-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
cappy208
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I looked at a 2001 Ocean Alexander today that had hundreds of gelcoat cracks on The deck. I do not exaggerates the numbers. Is there a simple way to handle such a large number. This is purely a cosmetic issue, but I have never seen so many cracks on a boat.

When you were walking on the deck did you 'jump' a little? Could you hear is cracking? Could you feel it flexing? If the entire deck is covered with spider cracks then I bet the core is done. One of the best things to do on a lookover is to have a friend walk the deck while you're down below listening to the creaking as they jump. (brokers hate this.... as well as owners)

There is a part of molding that may be the issue. When the gelcoat is sprayed into the mold. If they don't do the gelcoat or the first layer of glass correctly it can cause alligator craze. This is usually not spider cracks, but actual valleys and ripples. Think sort of what the surface of a raisin looks like, only inches long and wide. If it's alligators then they can be ground down and re gelcoated. If they were previously repaired alligators then they are just re done. again. Here's the technical poop on alligators. "It must be applied uniformly, as thin areas will wrinkle (“alligator”) when a second gelcoat, or laminating resin, is applied. Also, it is important to allow the gelcoat to cure before proceeding, as inadequately cured gelcoat will alligator. On the other hand, too long an interval will result in a weaker interlaminar bond between the gelcoat and the next layer." I believe this is where a lot of spider cracks come from, 'almost alligators' that take years to 'pop'.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote