Boatpix??....>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heron

Guru
Vessel Name
Heron (2)
Vessel Make
'88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Last friday while running between Beaufort and Cape lookout, the Boatpix chopper flew over and took some pixs. Going to their site, they want all your info including Credit card before showing their wares. My other experience with sites like this are with Cars/Bikes on the Tail of the dragon. Thumbnails of the pics are avaialbel before committing $$. While Boatpix says they will only charge you when authorized, I'm still skeptical. They could provide thumbnails.watermarked photos if they want more business. Their site is a little crude.

Any experience here?

Last edited:
Find a local teenager with a drone.....:D But to answer you question, I thought they were a bit over-priced for what they were offering.

Marty...................

They do get a pretty penny for their work, but it's good quality. Have bought from them for 2 of my charter boats and have been very happy. They are reputable as far as not charging you until you buy from them.

Ted

That's kind of new; they used to show you some heavily watermarked samples. I've seen their finished product on some other boats and it is really very good. Fortunately for me, a friendly fellow cruiser (who'd we never met before, but was anchored on their AT34 nearby as it turned out) took my avatar picture from the old bridge at Bahia Honda as we came in. Later that afternoon, we got a knock on the hull side and were presented with a print! Needless to say, we became good friends... that's one of the many charms of cruising.

Their business model is to get you to pay the most $ possible for pics of your boat. If you refuse their first offer, they will make you additional offers for less $. At least that was my experience 5 years ago.

I think their quality is good. This photo is from about five or six years ago before the drone frenzy. At the time, I didn't know how to capture photos from this angle without resorting to hiring a chopper. Talk about expensive!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438482889.015088.jpg

What do they charge for the pics? They are quite mum about that. Any hazards to a guess?

You can easily spend $500. For a set of 3 photos. My take is that the business is short lived for them. Voters are much more expensive to operate than a $1,500. Drone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom