Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Eric- that looks like a boom with the American flag attached. It seems to have plenty of room possibly on the aft up top for a large dink??

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Fork.
So you think that canvas top is temporary?
You're probably right. They just fold it down when the dinghy is needed. Perhaps they don't often use the dink. Ours is more of a life boat than a dinghy.

Eric, according to the ad in Tad's post the boat has room for a 17' launch. At any rate 6'-3" of headroom in the engine room would gloss over many other perceived sins IMO.

This odd looking creature was tied up near my home port the other day. She's called Amara Zee. This isn't my picture, as my phone was dead. She had her masts laid down and all of that scaffolding was heaped up in an awful mess on deck. Couldn't figure out what the hell her deal was.

According to an internet, she's home to a travelling stage company.
Like this??
The Amara Zee spent several months, maybe more in Lafitte, Louisiana I took this picture of her around 2006 the must have been doing repairs. Maybe enroute to or from Texas. Lafitte is right on the ICW about 15 miles West of Harvey Lock, & New Orleans. Going through the locks with those Leeboards must have been tough, I see they do have a small fender on one.

Attachments

• Sailing barge Amara Zee.jpg
    Sailing barge Amara Zee.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
How about this setup, right on the very busy GICW just west of New Orleans.

Attachments

• Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 044.jpg
    Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 044.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 046.jpg
    Manlift on ICW near Lafitte 046.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 115
How about this setup, right on the very busy GICW just west of New Orleans.
:eek:
The guy in that cherry picker better have on a PFD and a helmet (for when it tips into the side of the vessel he's working on.

Hi Loafs and fishes.

They would never get to do that in Australia, I am not sure how secure the person in the E W P would feel at that height on an unstable platform. I have seen these thing move about just with the wind blowing.

David.

We were headed through the Seattle locks this morning (along with about 100 small boats heading to the hydroplane races, what a nightmare), and this was on the wall opposite us. I don't know that it qualifies as "interesting", certainly different and to me at least really ugly.

Attachments

• Ugly Boat 1.jpg
    Ugly Boat 1.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 161
I don't think ugly is too strong a word for that boat. At least the owner doesn't have to worry about it ever being stolen.

I remember those (post 2079).

Brand name "Cargyle" or close. They were intended as a vacation trailer/boat. Did'nt do well on the market. Did sell a few .. I even remember seeing one on the road. They looked too topheavy for road or sea IMO.

Brand name "Cargyle" or close. They were intended as a vacation trailer/boat. Did'nt do well on the market. Did sell a few .. I even remember seeing one on the road. They looked too topheavy for road or sea IMO.

Some article I reviewed many years ago told of an incredible "sea" trip the originators took with this boat design... in process for promotions/ads. If I recall correctly it was touted as sea worthy with good inner accommodations. Guess it was a market flop. I have noticed a few sitting wasted in lots for sale (basically give-aways) on Craigslist.

Those windows look pretty big for so close to the water line.

Cargile Cutters.. they were popular on lake Powell in the early 80's

I think for Powell they were ok as they were sort of like a houseboat but faster and trailerable.

They are the definition of fugly though.. one does have to have some dignity and ownership of that thing would make one highly suspect

HOLLYWOOD

:eek:

The name is close, believe it was a Carlile (sp?) or close. They where designed and built to compete against Land-N-Sea, Sea Camper, Yukon Delta and a few other trailerable houseboats popular on the market at the time. Few where built but I have been aboard 2. The concept was sound and they maximize volume no doubt, but not unlike the competition where not lookers.

I always thought this boat is where Jim Krogen drew his inspiration for the Manatee line.

Edit: Hollywood got the name right!

The Cargile Cutter is perhaps not pretty but far from a failure. I think they started out as a 28' in 1969, and they were continually modified and upgraded until by 1978 they were 30'. As we've all seen a few, there were hundreds produced over at least 10 years of production. They were built in Nashville, and in 1977 the owner of the company(chief designer as well) ran a 30', Spirit of Nashville, from New York to Paris. At the time she was the smallest production powerboat to cross the Atlantic "non stop", whatever that might mean.

Actually I think these boats will have a lower center of gravity than the modern "running shoe" express cruiser, due to all the accommodation being down below rather than 2' above waterline.

ccutter.jpg

You are on the right track, Eric. It is a Cargile Cutter. I believe they were 28' with an 8'beam. The boat would move pretty well, and double as a land camper. I saw quite a few in the '70s.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...7vRV0eynM:&usg=__jNPZryky7FTlUHTra6OMW6M2tVQ=

Last edited:
Don it may be a good thing you didn't comment on 88 as I belive it to likely be one of our members.

https://cargilecutters.wordpress.co...gile-cutter-cruiser-id-like-to-hear-from-you/

Found the following review-post on the above link... Fuel consumption interests me; I highlighted it. Sounds as though she got near 5 mpg at 26 mph cruise speed. Of course those #'s come from the seller.

"I have a 1980 30′ Cutter for sale. Originallycalled “Dimond Cutter” out of the great lakes area, was sold to a gentleman inTroy, New York, who became disabled and couldn’t run it anymore. A friend and Itraveled there from Fairbanks, Alaska in May of 2001, picked it up and broughtit back to Alaska. Has 140 gallon fresh water tank under the cabin sole with a12 gallon septic tank, 138 gallon fuel tank, and recently refitted with a VolvoPenta KAMD42PA diesel with a duo-prop outdrive. She cruises nicely at 26 andhas a top end of 38. At cruise she sips 5.3 to 5.7 gph. She has the originaltrailer with a spare set of axle springs and new axles with electric brakes(just replaced in September of 2014), a spare outdrive, props, and other misc.parts. She is a sweet boat, but am looking for a much larger liveaboard at thistime in life. Will sell a diesel truck with boat and trailer for 28,000. readyto run."

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about this pretty boat, looks brand new.

Attachments

• boat (1).jpg
    boat (1).jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 212
HealHustler and others may hear some sacrilege there.

Oh yeah...we're sensitive to others comparing our ugly boats to ours. It never happens!!

When you own a Manatee, there's kind-of a smug grin on your face all the time. When you own one, you'll know why.

Oh yeah...we're sensitive to others comparing our ugly boats to ours. It never happens!!

When you own a Manatee, there's kind-of a smug grin on your face all the time. When you own one, you'll know why.

Yes Larry, I've seen that knowing look many times on the face of Manatee owners. It has been a real puzzlement to me.:D

I think what Larry is saying here is that like true beauty, "it is what is on the inside that counts".

West,
A light boat w a quite flat bottom w all that that implies but a very attractive evolved modern package. We have at least three near me and I love look'in at them. If it's the same manufacturer as the Ranger canoe of years ago built in between Seattle and Tacoma it may be of excellent quality too.

Back
Top Bottom