The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bracken45

Vessel Name
Neried
Vessel Make
Peter Bracken flybridge
Hi everyone

I have just joined and have a 45 ft Peter bracken flybridge cruiser built in 1975, twin screw, with 2 x 210 hp 3208 cat motors. Peter is quite a well known Australian power boat builder who was based in Sydney

We mainly cruise Moreton Bay in Queensland, looking forward to talking to you guys

Welcome to the Trawler forum!

Welcome aboard

Wifey B: Knowing absolutely nothing about your boat or where you boat, we had to learn so went googling and found Bracken's site and your boat. Very nice. Nice story. I guess in a way a bit like art. Only the third owner in 40 years is pretty unusual. Also, had to go look at Moreton Bay. Sounds like nice cruising area. Australia is on our list for one day.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome on board mate.
You will find plenty of locals here and a fair few down Moreton Bay way.
Whereabouts in Bris do you keep your boat ?
Might see you down that way one day.
Cheers
Benn

Tidahapah and BandB

Thanks for the welcome guys, yes the Bracken 45 is a good boat, if you looked at the website you would have seen another Bracken of about 32ft a police rescue boat called Falcon, involved in a yacht rescue off Sydney, there is a write up of the rescue.

She was out in 40ft Plus waves off Sydney Heads with 60mph wind gusts not a pretty place to be trying to tow a steel yacht that had foundered unfortunately with the loss of one life, the son of the Earl of Wedgewood (of Wedgewood crockery fame)

Just can't imagine being in a small boat in those conditions but The"Falcon" handled it well and brought the crew and her passengers back safely, so yes the Brackens are regarded as a good sea boat.

Any time you are in Australia or on Moreton Bay send me a message love to meet up with you, we keep the boat at Compass Marina at Scarborough and spend a lot of time over at Moreton Island, good anchorages at 'The Wrecks" " The Hulks" " Sandhills " etc.

Welcome Aboard! The Bracken is a fine traditional boat.

BruceK

Thank you Bruce, you would know a fair bit about Brackens being from Sydney, he was a fair NRL rugby player in his day, over 80 years old and still going strong I believe.

Great spot you have for cruising down there and a lovely boat to do it on, all the best, maybe catch up one day

Regards

Richard

...... we keep the boat at Compass Marina at Scarborough and spend a lot of time over at Moreton Island, good anchorages at 'The Wrecks" " The Hulks" " Sandhills " etc.

Yes, welcome aboard by another local. I have my Clipper 34 down at Horizon Shores. I agree Moreton Island is nice, and we try to make it up there at least once a year, usually after we come out of the Brissy river from overnighting up there in the city for the New Year's Eve fireworks, but it is a long way from our main sphere of activity. However, I must differ with you on one point, I always find the 'wrecks' anchorage either too full, to rocky (as in swells), or both, so usually head down to the Big Sandhills for overnight anchorages, after spending the day at the wrecks to do stuff at Tangalooma Resort.

Give us a hail if you see us out there. Boat's called Lotus, although she is up for sale at present. Don't know anyone wanting a nice 34 ft bay cruiser do you, by any chance..?

Cheers,

Peter B

Hi Peter

Yes swells at the wrecks can be a problem and can be busy on weekends and holidays we usually go during the week although we prefer the Big Sandhills as well

All the best hope to see you on the water we are moving to Horizon in September so will probably catch up there.

Regards

Richard

There was a Bracken, 32 I think, powered by a single "lie on its side" Perkins. Nice boat, well kept, and quick. I group Bracken with Williams, as smaller manufacturers with Halvorsen similarities, the Halvos were built in great numbers at Putney in a large factory with about 6 railed construction lines, the factory still exists as a run down repair facility perhaps too contaminated for residential. For a while I had my last boat serviced at what was the Williams yard, a much smaller place at Drummoyne.
At some stage you might post some history of Bracken . And when you can, please post some photos, I know there will be plenty of polished timber inside, not too much outside I hope, for your sake.

Bruce
Yes plenty of teak inside thankfully not much outside but still enough to look after
There is a Peter Bracken web site that give lots of history on him and his boats.

About |

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom