Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, Rick. Welcome back.

Thanks Marin, Not really back just kicking back in the hotel lounge after finishing an installation near Cannes. Felt compelled to post about a very interesting (to me) boat and felt the exhaust thread rated a comment.

This odd looking creature was tied up near my home port the other day. She's called Amara Zee. This isn't my picture, as my phone was dead. She had her masts laid down and all of that scaffolding was heaped up in an awful mess on deck. Couldn't figure out what the hell her deal was.

According to an internet, she's home to a travelling stage company.

Attachments

• amara-zee.jpg
    amara-zee.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 128
The scaffolding is for (stage) lighting instruments. How the boat is used is anyone's guess unless they use docks for their stages and the boat for lighting and whatnot.

This one spent the night anchored in the pass. I don't think I've seen her before. A really short, high, wide boat....about 50' long but the rest is right for an 80 footer.

Unknown1.jpg

And a couple of photos from my morning commute. A Maine built Lobsteryacht far from the nest.

Afewboats.jpg

And a comparison of the big and little Lord Nelson Victory Tugs. The big one is really big.....

Lordnelsocomp.jpg

TAD,
Looking at the LN tug picture an old question of mine comes up. In heavy headseas do those protruding anchors in their hawsepipes cause problems? Like structural issues re the hawsepipe or spray from the exposed anchors or even water comming up the hawsepipe?

Holy smokes, Tad, would I like to have those kinds of boats in my front yard as opposed to the same old boring, carved bars of soap.

Last edited:
TAD,
Looking at the LN tug picture an old question of mine comes up. In heavy headseas do those protruding anchors in their hawsepipes cause problems? Like structural issues re the hawsepipe or spray from the exposed anchors or even water comming up the hawsepipe?

Don't think so Eric. The tubes (hawsepipes) are simple and strong, much stronger than a roller perched on top of the bulwark. The anchor is winched up tight into the hawse, it can't move and doesn't have to be lashed in place. Ideally there is a chainstopper up on the deck to back up the winch brake. Water from waves will fountain up the tube, usual practice is to make plug/covers that fit around the chain on deck and slow the water down. Spray from the bow on these boats can be spectacular at times, but that's what the wipers are for....and deckhands to clean the salt off later.....

Holy smokes, Tad, would I like to have those kinds of boats in my front yard as opposed to the same old boring, carved bars of soap.

I guess we're lucky in that the PNW still has many unique boats cruising around. The soap bars don't get their pictures taken much........Come visit and you too could be interesting.....;)

Thanks very much TAD,
I really was curious about that. I don't like anchors sticking out beyond the bow and had it in the back (emphasis on back) of my mind to employ that feature on Willy but as much as I like modifing things I think I'll pass on this one. No wipers either .. and plastic windows.

Larry interesting? I thought he already is/was.

' Interesting' interpretation of the health and safety regs.

An accident waiting to happen....

Plasterer's interpretation of a "tuna tower". OSHA approved with guard rails all around top scaffold frames. Ecologically clean with electric power and little wind resistance. No wake feature especially enjoyed in close settings at mariners and inside harbors. Can be equipped with pulpit as well as galley. Head accommodations are always available 360 degrees around hull edge... especially useful for male midnight needs! :rofl:

Coming to a new boat dealer near you! :facepalm:

Plasterer's interpretation of a "tuna tower". OSHA approved with guard rails all around top scaffold frames. Ecologically clean with electric power and little wind resistance. No wake feature especially enjoyed in close settings at mariners and inside harbors. Can be equipped with pulpit as well as galley. Head accommodations are always available 360 degrees around hull edge... especially useful for male midnight needs! :rofl:

Coming to a new boat dealer near you! :facepalm:
U

I love the high vis jackets and hard hats to comply with h&s, and then they build a massive 20' scaffold of a tiny floating pontoon finger that measures about 8' beam by 15' length, with a ob hung off the back. :rofl:

Wonder how an insurance claim would have got on....:whistling:

Deluxe Pilothouse/Aft Cabin version.

Attachments

• pilothouse aft. cabin version.jpg
    pilothouse aft. cabin version.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 168
I dunno..... I don't see a problem, really. If the water is this flat where they operate the thing, what the hell? It obviously gets the job done for them.

The fishermen I used to spot for in Hawaii had a somewhat similar rig although the boat was much longer. But it had a tower on the front almost this tall that one of the fishermen would stand in to look for schools of the kinds of fish they netted in the reefs. From that position he would guide the boat around the school as the net was paid out to couple of guys in the water.

The airplane was a more efficient and much faster method of finding the fish, and then when I returned when the boat was headed out, it was a more accurate way of guiding the boat around the school. In essence, it was purse seining but with a couple of guys in the water holding the end of the net in position while the boat circled the school paying out the rest of the net.

I suppose in our current nanny state these guys and their portable scaffold would be looked on in horror, but assuming it's not a doctored photo, this setup apparently works for whatever it is they're doing so no drama, as they say in Australia.

In Buck's Harbor today ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438213726.854400.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438213746.246928.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438213767.490941.jpg

Buck's Harbor morning: A small Back Cove (Sabre), a Blue Seas, just visible on the right a small Ellis and what's the "tug"? A Lord Nelson or something else?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 116
Buck's Harbor morning: A small Back Cove (Sabre), a Blue Seas, just visible on the right a small Ellis and what's the "tug"? A Lord Nelson or something else?

Are there transient moorings available there? I don't see anything in Active Captain for Buck's Harbor.

I'd say a Lord Nelson.

Boy you really pack'em in there in the "Back Cove".

Are there transient moorings available there? I don't see anything in Active Captain for Buck's Harbor.

Buck's Harbor Marine has transient moorings for rent. Also, many of the private moorings have no boats on them lately. Pick one up and wait. If no one kicks you off by late pm you should be fine for the night.

Thanks. Another design to store in my depleted brain cells. Nice boat.

I don't think it's so hot. Looks like there's no place for a dinghy. That's odd for a boat this size. And the lines are too chunky for my tastes. It looks big and comfortable and possibly capable .. except for launching a dinghy. Must be a way but I don't see it. Somebody help me out here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom