Can't leave home without it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coffee for the wife....and wife.

coffee for the wife....and wife.

That is our boat, for sure. That and my wife's stand up paddle board. She is grumpy until it is in the water and often heads out for a morning paddle with her travel coffee mug strapped to the board.

Espresso!

Well, well, well...
I expected that one to be way closer to the top than #46.
-----Damn coffeholics-----
So, now that you have opened that lid, what, specialty, "neat little gadget" tool do you have that others say, "I gotta get me one of those?"

This is our "neat little gadget" our E61 type home espresso (cappuccino) machine.
Hope the photo shows.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 74
That is our boat, for sure. That and my wife's stand up paddle board. She is grumpy until it is in the water and often heads out for a morning paddle with her travel coffee mug strapped to the board.
Hope the coffee helps keep her sane....

Paddle boards around here have become the new PWCS worthy of a short boating career.

Many are rentals only making it worse as they don't have the area restrictions the PWCS have.

Looks like fun though..wish your wife the best....but boaters are becoming aggressive towards them like years ago with PWCs....

Yea, Karen wants to get one for sure. Just haven't taken the time to learn about them to know what to get yet.

I've gotta have tunes when I cruise and fish, so my tablet or ipod are important to me. I have a nice stereo with bluetooth so I can enjoy great music. If I'm going for several days, some good IPAs and good food are essential to happy boat life. I don't like to go hungry or thirsty while I float. It's a good thing I like to cook.

Having good friends and my wife along for the ride makes it special, but sometimes that's not possible so I try to make do when I have to cruise or fish solo. I like the fact that my boat is very manageable when single-handing, so even if company is along, I don't need to bother them with maritime responsibilities when we're coming or going.

Speaking of responsibilities, the most important thing I feel I need when boating is sobriety and a clear head. If I can't keep focused on the responsibilities of safe boating, I shouldn't (and won't) be out there. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy those IPA's when we're docked safely.

My electrical tool bag and a VISA card.

Where did that come from?

Good question Grae, but I agree with your comment re capsule versus more human input - and choice. Besides, they are so damn precious as to where you can get those pods here in Brisbane We just luuurve our De Longe Espresso machine, and like to experiment with different beans. For an NZ connection, just for old times sake, we call it 'Mr Lange' (pron. Longey)...you'd probably get that, I think. Vale the David...

Last edited:
So, now that you have opened that lid, what, specialty, "neat little gadget" tool do you have that others say, "I gotta get me one of those?"

I would not consider these must-haves, but handy when you need them . . . and fun.

Marine beam LED, the most powerful hand-held flashlight I've ever seen. Literally stabs the darkness with a concentrated shaft of light that has enormous range and very little scatter.

Or, when I want to go stealth, night vision monocular. Not the best, but affordable

Nesspresso capsules are easy to get. I just purchase mine over the net and take them with me where ever I go.
I have a machine in the house, one on the boat and one in my place in Port Hedland.
If things get tight there are some good capsules that fit available at Coles , Woolies and Hardly Normal.
I have had numerous espresso machines but to tedious to make a cup of coffee even if they are good.

Whenever you want a very good glass of wine you don't have to go and make it your self do you, just pour it out of a bottle pre made.

Now what else won't we go with out

Another E61 fan here. Valentina pour-over running 115VAC so I could put it on the boat with the Mazzer mini. So far I haven't but I could.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438178174.295770.jpg

Popiel Pocket Fisherman and Ronco PleasureMatic.

Attachments

• ronco tools.jpg
    ronco tools.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 290
A camera, to catch the good times.

Completion of a day's "boy's" boating outing, with Giggitoni and Flywright (who took the photo):

FlyWright's large sturgeon "keeper":

Three generations of Pierce men after watching Mary Poppins at the Cabrillo College (near Santa Cruz) stage and eating a restaurant meal thanks to the family patriarch holding a gift of boxed St. Jorge wine:

Last edited:
Mine is satellite TV.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 53
As a non-liveaboard, I leave television and the Internet behind when boating. That's one of the reasons for boating: clearing my mind from the clutter!

Last edited:
As a non-liveaboard, I leave television and the Internet behind when boating. That's one of the reasons for boating: clearing my mind from the clutter!
Oh, come on, Mark! The Coot has everything known to man except a satellite TV! :nonono:

Oh, come on, Mark! The Coot has everything known to man except a satellite TV! :nonono:

What??!! No coffee maker, no microwave oven, no water-maker, no genset, no second/third refrigerator, no washer/dryer, no trash compacter, no AIS, no television, no ice-maker, no double sinks, no fishing gear, no bath tub, no hot tub, no dinghy crane, no 20-millimeter cannon, ... Yet, I don't feel deprived.

Last edited:
What??!! No coffee maker, no microwave oven, no water-maker, no genset, no second/third refrigerator, no washer/dryer, no trash compacter, no AIS, no television, no ice-maker, no double sinks, no fishing gear, no bath tub, no hot tub, no dinghy crane, no 20-millimeter cannon, ... Yet, I don't feel deprived.

Just goes to show you that there are definitely different strokes for different folks.

You just listed all of my gotta haves in your list of nonessentials...

including.... Welcome to TugTub a portable, inflatable and lightweight hot tub that floats in water!

This should be fun...
A recent thread on water makers got me thinking:
Besides your Nemo cockpit slippers, remote Waggoner page turner and the Jim Neighbors choir collection, what are some of the things you would rather not be without on your boat?

Frank and Ernest said that they had an uncle that sent in a failed advertising slogan to American Express. The slogan, "Don't stay home with it". It didn't make the cut.:confused:

We're going out tomorrow for a Guys Day on the Bay in Mark's scantily-equipped boat. Now I know to bring my own phone, camera, chartplotter, wifi hotspot and cup of coffee. I'll get some pics.

Al, your computer's tide predictor will be helpful. The Martinez marina has a depth of 2 to 4 feet at low tide, but the Coot draws about 4.

Al, your computer's tide predictor will be helpful. The Martinez marina has a depth of 2 to 4 feet at low tide, but the Coot draws about 4.

According to my droid's Navionics, we'll be at +3.5 around noon tomorrow.

Mark, you need a new pic of your head. Maybe tomorrow I can help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom