Thread: Forfjord
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
Panope

City: Port Townsend WA
Vessel Name: Panope
Vessel Model: Colvin Saugeen Witch, Aluminum
I have a 65 lb. Forfjord in a hawse pipe against the port bow. It is a secondary anchor as it is vastly inferior to my primary anchor, a 45 lb. Manson supreme that is mounted on a centerline bow roller.

The primary reason I added the Forfjord, is that I needed to add weight forward to offset the additional weight of the pilot house. Rather than add something that serves no other purpose (like lead), I chose to add a heavy, secondary anchor.

The Forfjord sets reliably but does so with a very gentle and slow nature - not at all like the immediate "knock you off your seat" attachment to the bottom of the Manson. I do not yet have a good sense of ultimate holding power of the Forfjord but my guess it will be far less than the lighter Manson.

As was mentioned previously in this thread, the Forfjord must be just about indestructible and may be superior to the Manson in rock. Also, if very heavy weed is preventing the penetration of any anchor, the sheer weight of the Forfjord will give it the edge.

I would always choose a modern anchor over the Forfjord as a primary anchor.

Steve