Is Boating a Full Time Hobby for Large Boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When we sold our 34 Mainship we bought a 43 foot sailboat. We spent more time on it but it also took more maintenance. Eventually we figured out that we had to many things on our plate: work, friends, a house and the new boat. The tipping point was when we came home one weekend and a neighbor had mowed our lawn. We took the hint and sold the house.

HAHA.. That happened to me over the 4th of July trip. I was dreading coming home to the jungle that would be my lawn. I dropped a case of beer off in return =)

It depends on the boat and then it can take as much or as little time as you want. The boat length isn't the issue but the equipment is. Did you double engines, gens, batteries, heads? How much work do you do yourself and how much do you hire. If trying to do it all yourself is taking the pleasure out of it, then perhaps time to hire some out.

Sometimes just little things. If you're traveling, especially off shore, always kids around ready to wash it down for you. As you age, there are mechanical tasks that might merit passing on. Something like changing batteries can become a huge burden just due to the weight.

I'd say don't let the maintenance infringe on the pleasure. When you feel that happening, find another way. Sometimes the other way is as simple as "I know I need to do this to the engines but this weekend I'm off duty and we'll just enjoy being on the boat at the dock.

Maintenance is not a big factor for my boat, but I'm moored in fresh water, under cover. Single diesel maintained by mechanic - maybe $1k per year. Exterior woodwork maintained by a long-time friend who also helps with refurb projects (improvements rather than maintenance, but since they don't change the "value" then perhaps maintenance is correct after all). He also washes the boat a few times during the year. Another maybe $3k per year.

Then there are the bigger improvement projects - $10k for boat deck rails and seating and side rails. $4k to replace the fuel system (not tanks, they're fiberglass), add dual Racors and polishing. Another $1k for a radar mast. $2k to add holding tank, rebuild head, replace all related plumbing. $5k (guessing, it was 10 years ago) enclosing aft deck. I spend a lot of time planning these but hire them out, one or two projects each year. And I have a backlog of "nice to have" improvements yet to be made.

I'm on the boat several times each week since it's 12 minutes away, but I can go for a month without seeing it and that's no big deal.

Actually taking it out and using it is only 2 weeks a year plus half a dozen day trips on Lake Washington.

So, net-net I probably spend more time dicking around on boating forums than I do on the boat itself. I'm writing this while walking in the woods with my dog so at least I can log some steps!

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I tend to think as the boat as part of my lifestyle rather than a hobby.

Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but I tend to think as the boat as part of my lifestyle rather than a hobby.

I think it is for some. Certainly by the time it becomes full time it would seem to be. With us, it's part of our lifestyle, but not the entirety. Still "hobby" seems to greatly understate it. We spend more time boating than any other activity. That would make things like music, tennis, swimming, and basketball hobbies.

time spent on a boat

For me, it's the various projects that have added time. I will think, "Wouldn't be nice if I had this or that." Then I buy the materials, and start the project. Every thing from new electronics, bright work, to remote windless controls on two pilot stations, ( a really good idea). Nearly all of the work I do myself and the time commitment is significant. Its satisfying but both physically, mentally and financially gruelling.

I think it is for some. Certainly by the time it becomes full time it would seem to be. With us, it's part of our lifestyle, but not the entirety. Still "hobby" seems to greatly understate it. We spend more time boating than any other activity. That would make things like music, tennis, swimming, and basketball hobbies.

Exactly! yes. thank you

For us, the boat is certainly a lifestyle choice. This is the largest boat we've owned to date, but it was also a lifestyle with the sailboat before this one. As a result, we do not spend as much time doing other things (our motorcycle gets out just a couple times per year and we are thinking of selling). Maintenance time hasn't changed much since we've moved up - just have a generator to maintain and washing/waxing takes a little longer, but mostly the same as the sailboat. We spend just about every vacation and weekend on the boat, but we still find some time to travel at least once a year. Because I travel a lot for work, it is often the last thing I want to do on vacation. All this said, we have other hobbies that we get to enjoy more because of the boat, like fishing and paddle boarding.

So I guess the answer to whether a larger boat will edge out my other passions is a firm maybe, depending on how I do it and what my expectations are. This is all sparked by taking my motorcycle across Vancouver Island over the weekend. I had in some ways forgotten how much I love to travel by motorcycle. The reality is that once I sit down and think about it the boat is likely going to be the primary hobby going forward because I can share it with my wife and son. Whether we go up in size in something that will be considered in the future as the boat we have right now is perfect for what we are doing, and I do not want to deal with securing moorage for a larger boat right now in any event.

Attachments

• VFR Ferry.jpg
    VFR Ferry.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 77
As we got older we didn't stop riding because our boats got bigger. We stopped riding because we were no longer willing to take the risk. We tend to keep a running list of things the boat needs, but funny thing it'll still be there tomorrow if I go spend time on my hobbies today. Its a balance, but I really enjoy the upkeep of the boat.

Its a balance, but I really enjoy the upkeep of the boat.

That's a good statement about something I hadn't really considered. Working on a boat, solving problems, making repairs and improvements, is a lot of fun (for me, anyway). In that regard, the boat is a sort of self-propelled hobby. We even work on it when we're out on it. Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home.

While some problems that crop up can be frustrating to troubleshoot or tricky to solve, they are challenges no different to one's mental prowess than the challenges one faces at work.

We have a fair amount of maintenance to do on our 42 year old teak decking; seams to redo, plugs to replace, some surface work, and so on. I actually enjoy doing this as long as I have the time to do the job properly. That's the biggest frustration for us: finding time. The work itself is quite rewarding.

Even though we don't boat full time, boating is a full time avocation for us. If we're not doing it, we're planning it and we're thinking of it.

That's a good statement about something I hadn't really considered. Working on a boat, solving problems, making repairs and improvements, is a lot of fun (for me, anyway). In that regard, the boat is a sort of self-propelled hobby. We even work on it when we're out on it. Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home.

While some problems that crop up can be frustrating to troubleshoot or tricky to solve, they are challenges no different to one's mental prowess than the challenges one faces at work.

We have a fair amount of maintenance to do on our 42 year old teak decking; seams to redo, plugs to replace, some surface work, and so on. I actually enjoy doing this as long as I have the time to do the job properly. That's the biggest frustration for us: finding time. The work itself is quite rewarding.

:thumb::thumb:

Boating has taught me lots valuable skills, and have met some good people along the way too. I enjoy working on it. Always seem to learn something new.

For me, it's not full time, but it is a lot of time. Of course, most of that time is fixing/maintaining. . .occasionally I leave the slip :rolleyes:

Honestly, I think I would enjoy the whole boat ownership experience if it WAS my full time and only hobby. Between working on the boat, finding time to use the boat, work on/drive my Mustang, fresh and saltwater fishing, shooting. . .only so much time in a weekend, only so many nice weekends a year :nonono:

For me large boat ownership is by far and away my biggest committment as an optional endevor.

It's not just cruising... I get quite a bit of enjoyment out of puttering on the boat, keeping her maintained, or upgrading things.

The boats I see in the best repair are the ones where owners take joy in working on them. The worst ones are where the owner has either given up or lost interest. The professionally maintained boats generally fall inbetween, but benefit from for the most part being much newer boats.

:thumb::thumb:

Boating has taught me lots valuable skills, and have met some good people along the way too. I enjoy working on it. Always seem to learn something new.

Not to mention, you pick up a nice pair of boat shoes now and then.:thumb:

That boat is not a Trawler?

Originally Posted by Marin.
We have a 36' diesel cabin cruiser in the PNW

Big Jim, do not - repeat not - get him started... :nonono:

Ok...I read on, and you did, but he was quite restrained...no biggie...

Last edited:
Since my dad drug home a plywood c class racing outboard when I was 6 I have been hooked on boats.. they definitely are my drug of choice. The year before the boat and I actually hit the water I spent most of my spare time traveling the world with the thing up on saw horses.

The funny thing is I still do the same thing at times sitting at the helm of my Ocean Alexander.. with it tied to the dock.. voyaging in my mind so to speak. ( that sounds a bit crazy to even me)

That being said, boats (5 in current inventory.. all power boats) are only a part of what I do..

we water ski.. but that is tied to the boats so it doesn't count as a different hobby.

we sport tour on motorcycles.. I also still do a fair amount of dirt riding on a different bike.

I am restoring a fire breathing small block chevy equipped 240z. hot rods.. talk about a addiction..

I do some woodworking ( again handy on boats )

I do a lot of mechanical rebuilding.. currently building my own 40gph. water maker rehabbing and a ac unit ( again both for the boat )

We are about to build a new home as we just became empty nesters
(yeah).. but I do that for a living so I guess it doesn't really count either.

And I do a few deliveries here and there.. it gets me on all sorts of cool boats I don't have to pay for.. damn there is that boat thing again!

I used to restore mahogany speed boats as a hobby but big boats have taken up too much time and fulfilled that need.

Oh I don't really sleep much.. and don't watch sports on tv .. so I guess I get more time for boats..

I think I need to start a 12 step program for boat junkies.

HOLLYWOOD

"Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home."

I'm very happy other folks feel this way..

WE have a Teak Trivet for hot pots next to the stove,

And love to be anchored and be surrounded by good looking boats with mucho bright work.

AS I sit under cover in a lounge chair on our aft deck,sipping a brew and having chips & dip, nothing beats a bright Ohlson sail boat or a Gar Wood going by!

Thanks folks , you supply the eye candy for us to enjoy.

the biggest frustration for us: finding time. The work itself is quite rewarding.

To a large extent that's my issue as well. I've learned not stress about it as much. I do what I can with my skills and time, then pay others to fill in when I can't.

"Much nicer to work on brightwork, for example, in a nice, scenic anchorage than in our slip at home."

I'm very happy other folks feel this way..

WE have a Teak Trivet for hot pots next to the stove,

And love to be anchored and be surrounded by good looking boats with mucho bright work.

AS I sit under cover in a lounge chair on our aft deck,sipping a brew and having chips & dip, nothing beats a bright Ohlson sail boat or a Gar Wood going by!

Thanks folks , you supply the eye candy for us to enjoy.

I'm glad many of you feel that way too. We have brightwork and as a special favor to you will be glad for you to come work on it.

Wifey B: We have eye candy too....:D

Hubby B: We must admit to loving the boating aspect and not the other things such as maintenance.

I've always enjoyed finishing or refinishing nice wood. In college at Colorado State I made a fair amount of pocket money refinishing gunstocks for people. This was back when stocks were not only wood, but were really nice wood so they were worth putting a fine finish on them. Today, most of them are plastic.

So I've kind of transferred that skill to the teak on our boat. I have zero interest in working on anyone else's teak--- their boat, their problem--- but I really enjoy working on ours when I have the time. Like the gunstock work I find it very relaxing and it's a nice thing to be doing while thinking about other things.

Dang Hollywood, sounds a bit like me! I currently have 5 boats (3 sail) and am looking to buy a trawler soon. I have 16 motorcycles mostly dirt and 2 street. I have an old '79 TransAm I'm currently working on and an old house I am fixing up (almost done if there is such a thing). Good thing I've just retired so I'll have time for all this "stuff". I plan to restore some of my vintage dirt bikes and sell them along with some of the boats I don't use much anymore in order to have more time/money for the trawler. So you see, it's all a balance of what you want to do at a certain stage of life. Time or money, I love working on things I don't HAVE to work on. I love fixing up an old car or motorcycle. Not so much my daily driver. LOL.

Kevin

Since my dad drug home a plywood c class racing outboard when I was 6 I have been hooked on boats.. they definitely are my drug of choice. The year before the boat and I actually hit the water I spent most of my spare time traveling the world with the thing up on saw horses.

The funny thing is I still do the same thing at times sitting at the helm of my Ocean Alexander.. with it tied to the dock.. voyaging in my mind so to speak. ( that sounds a bit crazy to even me)

That being said, boats (5 in current inventory.. all power boats) are only a part of what I do..

we water ski.. but that is tied to the boats so it doesn't count as a different hobby.

we sport tour on motorcycles.. I also still do a fair amount of dirt riding on a different bike.

I am restoring a fire breathing small block chevy equipped 240z. hot rods.. talk about a addiction..

I do some woodworking ( again handy on boats )

I do a lot of mechanical rebuilding.. currently building my own 40gph. water maker rehabbing and a ac unit ( again both for the boat )

We are about to build a new home as we just became empty nesters
(yeah).. but I do that for a living so I guess it doesn't really count either.

And I do a few deliveries here and there.. it gets me on all sorts of cool boats I don't have to pay for.. damn there is that boat thing again!

I used to restore mahogany speed boats as a hobby but big boats have taken up too much time and fulfilled that need.

Oh I don't really sleep much.. and don't watch sports on tv .. so I guess I get more time for boats..

I think I need to start a 12 step program for boat junkies.

HOLLYWOOD

Workin' on my house is a PIA, while workin' on the boat is fun.

Spending money on my home is a PIA, while paying for boat upkeep is funner.

"while paying for boat upkeep is funner."

Most folks become boat slaves as they do not wish to pay $100 or $200 to have the boat washed, so it becomes DIY.

With proper selection of paint and trim , very little washing , or refinishing is needed.

Out trim is AZEK , not teak or mahogany , which gives the time to enjoy other folks EYE CANDY.

The reefer is located on the aft deck, saves the effort of going below ,,,,for a cool one.

Spending money on my home is a PIA, while paying for boat upkeep is funner.

I don't find either pleasurable but I do accept them both as part of the cost of ownership and as long as the home or boat brings me equal pleasure then I'm fine. I think the key is going in with eyes wide open. Just as we see people move up in boats beyond the size they could really afford to own, it happens on houses all the time too. People buy a larger house because they can afford the payment, but never keep in mind the ongoing costs.

I have what many would consider a "larger" boat. It's a 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge.
img_354098_0_2144c090ac106b4d4b815d49f52e8745.jpg

I have found it takes many, many people to work on it to maintain it for use, and I'm definitely NOT anal about it.

I have:
1 a guy who washes the boat for me before every time we're going out.
2 a guy who dumps the wastebaskets in the heads and staterooms then hauls the trash up to the cans at the top of the dock.
3 a guy who keeps the interior looking good and the carpets vacuumed.
4 a guy who waxes the boat for me
5 a guy who changes the oil and filters and diesel filters when needed
6 a guy who crawls around in the engine room and changes impellers and other stuff when needed.

The funny thing: All these guys are named Mike and, coincidentally, all of them look a lot like me and have the same date of birth and are married to the same lady.

In all seriousness, we use our boat a fair amount. it takes me an hour and a half to wash it, but that's the major thing in taking care of it. Oil changes and filter changes are annual events and only take a few hours. If something breaks, I'm not a mechanic so I call one.

That's pretty much it. It's not a full time hobby that leaves no time for other fun things. I guess it could be if you let it, but we don't let it.

Well Put!

As does the another poster, we too have a 34' Tolly tri cabin (sun deck). The guy married to my wife attends to most of my boat's general needs - Similar to your position!

Tolly 34'er is pretty darn easy to care for.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom