Spring loaded emergency starter. Must have...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was going to add that I only anchor at high tide for that reason.:rolleyes:

Why bother to take chances with free wheeling unattached? What if engine does not start even after you've gone all the way down your hill of water?? Then what would be the alternative... :eek:

Seems due to repeat available tries via just anchoring in a good current and then using windless pull on rode to increase water flow over props while trany is engaged in gear should be able to turn-over engines for starting! If on first try engine balks... just play out more scope again and start over. :lol: :rofl:

Dreams are part of boating's enjoyment!! :D

Happy Engine-Start Daze - Art :dance:

HAHAHAHA
Anchor on a hill ...... at high tide.
That's a good one guys.

So it's obvious there's no simple solution to this problem. That is simpler than just carrying a spare starter. I thought something would turn up. But I haven't read every word of the thread.

:popcorn:
Ummm it's over $3000, I can buy quite a few spare starters for that. :blush:

I've been considering relying solely on a spring starter for my new build. However, even taking into account the savings from not having to buy a couple of big 4-Ds plus disconnect switch, wiring, etc., the IDP Maxi starter which I was just quoted at $2600 plus shipping, is rather exhorbinant.

Like Scotte says, a spare rebuilt starter can be bought cheap or even just secured from a salvage yard for a couple hundred bucks.

My old Burger had cruised with various owners from the Great Lakes to Aussie and Hawaii a couple of times. Myself up and down the West Coast. No problems associated with the starter were ever logged.

I'd be curious to know how many forum members have had starter problems that could not be fixed by switching the starter out, solenoid if not internal, dead batteries, etc.

That being said, if I can secure a spring starter for about $1500 then absolutely will use that, but would carry an electric one for backup.

Spring starter as your primary and an electric as backup.

Is the above correct?

Spring starters were used before the days of starter packs, solar panels, wind generators etc for heavy plant lying for weeks between jobs in remote areas where batteries could be stolen or just plain go flat..
Their application for boats is for example, a sail boat mid ocean with flat batteries and needing to start the engine.

With Hyd power to operate the windlass , auto pilot , bow thruster and 6KW electric generator, a hand pump to pressurize the starting accumulator would be easy.

No R&R and no white smoke from the variety of hyd motors.

A cruisers delight , but not cheap.

In answer to post #36, in 50 years of boat ownership I only had one starter problem and that was fixed by a rebuild of the starter as I was dockside. A switch out would have worked as well.

Fast, easy and repeatable engine starting is a safety item.

You may need to start up right now depending on weather, dockside danger (fire) or health/injury, etc.

I don't want to be worried about winding up a spring or even thinking about the state of it's wind, I want the ability to crank several times if needed in rapid succession.

I don't want a hand crank on my car and darn sure I will not replace my electric starter with a springy thing.

Now that reminds me I need to go refill the whale oil on my running lights (I use manatee oil, I'm not a monster). ;)

I have never had a starter fail in 4 decades of boating. If you don't get them wet they last forever.

Decades boating, numerous boats... Can not recall starter failure.

I'd be curious to know how many forum members have had starter problems that could not be fixed by switching the starter out, solenoid if not internal, dead batteries, etc....

Years ago, ok, decades ago, :eek::D my dad was crewing on a sailboat and the captain drained both the house and starter batteries. :facepalm: Solar panels were not on boats back then so there was no way to charge the battery.

They also lost a sail which made getting into port interesting but they did make it with one sail and no engine.

The latest modern emission controlled diesels require air, fuel and POWER to run. If there is no power, then the engine will not run. If the batteries are gone for some reason, can a new engine even be started and then run with a spring starter? The only way to get power would be the alternator so there seems to be a Chicken and Egg question.

Later,
Dan

We had a starting issue on our holiday.

We pulled into Fish Bay on Gil Island's south shore (north coast BC) and dropped the anchor for a quick bit of fishing...it's about the worst spot to stop when storm systems are marching in from the south west, but conditions were calm for the time being and we intended to stay for only a half hour or so.

On startup, all we heard was a soft, 'tick'.

Hmmmm...

Nigel Calder was pulled off the bookshelf, and with his help we were up and running in less than 15 minutes. Corrosion on the terminal from the ignition switch was the issue. Luckily, it was an easy fix!

(We do have a spare rebuilt starter aboard from a previous issue with a leaking air cooler to oil cooler hose being directly above the old starter.)

Last edited:
(hydraulic) ... a hand pump to pressurize the starting accumulator would be easy.

Standard fitting on many lifeboats and ship's emergency diesel generators.

Back
Top Bottom