Industrial lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
View attachment 42530

Turned out to be a nice place to stay.

Thanks for the tip Steve!

That a great picture!!! give it a true review on active captain

mention the fender board

Glad to hear it is a nice place to stay I hope to get that way next year

Big shout out to Steve, who lives here around Houma. He has provided me so much valuable info on this trip, taken me to the rental car place in Houma, loaned me books etc.

Yet another great example of a TF member helping another member out who is in need. I always seem to be the one "in need" so far, but hopefully I will be able to help other members out some day.

Heading out this AM for the stretch of ICW from Houma to Galveston. Looks like three nights of anchoring before I get to a marina. Should be interesting.

My plan is Houma to Charenton channel anchorage today-- about 60 miles.

Day 2 Mermantau River anchorage tomorrow. 69 miles. Long day.

Day 3 Shell Island anchorage on the Texas/Louisiana border. 59 miles.

Day 4 Stingaree Marina on Bolivar Peninsula. 55 miles. Would like to make it to a Galveston marina or anchorage that day but too far I think.

Day 5 stop will be Surfside marina or maybe anchor somewhere around the San Bernard if I'm making good time.

Day 6 I should make to to Matagorda bay and I can anchor near my old island fishing cabin in a protected area kind of near the big gulf inlet there.

Day 7 I should make to to Rockport. Hopefully.

Suggestions welcome on these spots.

Ain't that pretty??

Attachments

• Bijou in Houma.jpg
    Bijou in Houma.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 193
Nice shot, Steve. Don't tell Bill the only reason anybody treats him decent is cuz he's got a Rocna.

Steve: It is evident that those in and around Houma really respect their traditions and culture by providing such excellent facilities for those of us that are just passing through. All cities with such a rich history based on their maritime resources should be just as generous.

Thanks to all those in your area

dan

Last edited:
True, the Houma area is full of good people, lots of fun to go down there. If you ever want to learn more about their maritime ancestry, try "Rise of the Cajun Mariners" by Woody Falgoux. I really enjoyed the book, lots of history about the boat types and people.

Yes, good read. I knew and worked with some of those in the book. The second generation ones mostly. Chauvins, Autin, Schoest, Nauquin. Good people, excellent boat builders, operators, and mariners.

dan

True, the Houma area is full of good people, lots of fun to go down there. If you ever want to learn more about their maritime ancestry, try "Rise of the Cajun Mariners" by Woody Falgoux. I really enjoyed the book, lots of history about the boat types and people.

Thanks for the tip. Think I'll download it on my iPad it and read it down here in the swamp where I'm anchored.

Last edited:
Careful not to hang a leg over the side around there, Bill. Also check your swim platform in the AM in case you get a surprise guest. Sporting a big Rocna on the bow is kind of a macho challenge to the gators.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438131422.596804.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438131439.031861.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438131474.767863.jpg

Watching barges go by...

Careful not to hang a leg over the side around there, Bill. Also check your swim platform in the AM in case you get a surprise guest. Sporting a big Rocna on the bow is kind of a macho challenge to the gators.

I hear you Larry. No telling what kind of swamp creature is out there.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438131591.899072.jpg

Gators are attracted to the sound and ripples of the water trickling out of the air conditioning and generator through hulls. One night a few miles west of there I looked around with a light and 3 or 4 were next to the boat

Rocna anchor. Louisiana style.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438170294.468057.jpg

Didn't think I was gonna get it out of the mud there for a minute.

They don't call it 'gumbo' for nothing. You going to fuel up at Shell Morgan?

I still have 6 days of fuel left. I will get some the next time I stop at a marina for the night.

I'm trying to talk my high school kid into jumping on the boat with me at Bolivar peninsula on Friday and making the trip back to Rockport.

If you would slow down a tad I could follow you as we plan on leaving Sunday :)

Slow down? That's the first time anyone has asked me to do that. ?

Sounds fun but I need to get back. Wife said I've been playing around on the boat long enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom