View Single Post
Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #1
Bohans
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
Going Solar

So after debating what to do about my issues replacing (charging) 200amps into a 440 amp 24 volt house inverter bank, I decided to go solar as a long term sustainable, environmental and economical solution.

Today I picked up 1000 watts of panels for the 24 v bank and 200 watt panel for the 12 v house bank for led lights, heads etc.

In total I should get my 200amps at 24 volts into the inverter bank and close to zero need for the gensets other than charging hot water, running big 240v davit crane etc.

I am mounting the panels straight on top of Bimini canvas. I reinforced the frame slightly but it is 1inch diameter stainless steel and very strong. I can hold my body weight of the 100kg off it. So spreading the 6 panels over the 4m wide and 3m long top should be no issue at all. All up there is 90kg of panels.

they are wired in parallel with Anderson connections to a 40amp plasmatronics regulator with fuse on positive cable to the inverter bank. The connections of cable from panels means I do not need a junction box up there or out in elements at all.

The panels are attached to the Bimini tubes via four saddle mounts per panel. They will not move.

should hopefully get the panels up there tomorrow then am waiting on my friend who ordered all the parts through his electrical business. Should be done in a week once parts arrive.

This is a job I intend on only doing once so trying to get it right. My last boat had 540watts directly mounted to the Bimini frame and had no issues at all.

shall post a few pics as I go.
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote