Broughtons Aerial Video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moonfish

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Traveler
Vessel Make
Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Hey all - we recently finished the 3-week Waggoner Guide flotilla up here in the Broughtons. It was great! We'll be here for a couple more weeks. But while holed up in a slip and working for a week in Port McNeil I complied a few aerial scenes into a short video. We'll continue filming for our documentary "Broughtons and Back" as we slowly make our way home.

It sure is beautiful up here! (Video includes scenes from McIntosh Bay in Simoom Sound, Pierre's Echo Bay, Kwatsi Bay, Toba Wildernest Resort and Port Harvey.)

https://youtu.be/poYHQg_Vs2E

Very nice stuff. Is this all with a GoPro or are you using a "real" HD camera or SLR like a Cannon 5D? Those require a more substantial drone, of course.

But very nice imagery. Looking forward to seeing the final edit.

Very nice stuff. Is this all with a GoPro or are you using a "real" HD camera or SLR like a Cannon 5D? Those require a more substantial drone, of course.

But very nice imagery. Looking forward to seeing the final edit.

Thank you, Marin. As you know, on a nice day up here all you have to do is point any camera at the scenery and it will turn out nice. Using a GoPro Hero3+ on a Phantom 2 drone with Zenmuse 3D gimbaled mount. Haven't even done any color correction yet, so I imagine it will look better in final edits.

Wish we could afford one of the bigger drones to carry our DSLR!

Wish we could afford one of the bigger drones to carry our DSLR!

We use an outfit out of California called Copter Kids. It's a couple of friends who got together and started building drones and putting cameras on them. They have become one of the premier aerial videography outfits in the world. They do a lot of surfing stuff, we've had them flying around in our assembly plants and following military vehicles on tests. Amazing stuff. One guy flies the drone and the other one operates the camera.

Thanks Darren, I enjoyed that. Pretty sure I saw the shadow of the drone on a boat FB at one time.

Darren - very nice stuff! Thanks for posting: )

Great stuff, Darren! Makes me want to visit there!!

Thanks for sharing, Darren. It's neat to see these areas from a different perspective and it's great to see the marinas so full.

Thanks Darren

Thanks Darren, I enjoyed that. Pretty sure I saw the shadow of the drone on a boat FB at one time.

You did! That was the second scene and our boat. In the next scene you can see the drone's shadow as it passes over the trees in the lower left foreground, too...

Thanks Darren,
It brings back lots of memories.
My wife and I, with our two very young children, lived in Echo Bay
from Oct. 69 until June 71. Then moved to Scott Cove.

Ted

Thanks Darren,
It brings back lots of memories.
My wife and I, with our two very young children, lived in Echo Bay
from Oct. 69 until June 71. Then moved to Scott Cove.

Ted

Wow, that must have been pretty cool back then (before the onslaught of "yachties"). I'll guess you knew Billy Proctor? Quite the fellow, still going strong at the young old age of 80...

Yep, it was great.
Most of the "yachties" didn't come past Minstrel Island.
Yes, knew the Procters quite well. Billy taught me a lot of what I
know as a commercial salmon troller. Still see each other once in a
while on the dock in Port McNeil when I make a freight trip up there.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom