Leak in a stern tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438126511.445846.jpggotta have it.

I don't believe that was either standard stuffing box hose or the commonly but wrongly used wet exhaust hose. Just didn't look like it and I have NEVER seen it balloon like that even when under much more pressure. A stuffing box has some pressure...but not that much.

It also looked so uniform as opposed to just failing hose.

Can't say what it might have been.. Was it always that way? Or did it just balloon up recently?

Travel lift's been down for most of the summer. It's old held together with lots of duck tape as well

That shifted motor mount caused the shaft to heat up. I'm talking real hot the ER was full of steam like a cloud when I popped the hatch. I thought something was on fire but it was just steam. Ithink it melted the inner lining of the hose.

Dose leak a bit more when running. Gotta make it back on my own. No tow boats around here just the Coast guard they don't tow. They will give me a ride back though. The auxiliary may be able to tow me but not likely. Best bet would be a big purse seiner or another commercial boat of some kind.

View attachment 42621with the rescue tape and multiple layers a duck tape at least it's hard now it's not a balloon anymore.i do what I have to do to get home. I think it will make it.
That looks better.

Do you have a skiff and outboard to bring with? As a life boat? Just in case?

If you're going to run it back, take it easy. Don't try to go full throttle and smoke the stuffing box. and try to go fair current. Where is it you're at now anyway?

Last edited:
I'm cool I made it back to the harbor. Just worried about it all the way. I like my boat. Sure would hate to have her sink on me. To many great adventures here in Alaska to think about her sitting on the bottom somewhere.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I'll get her on the hard and start cutting and patching. I'll fix her and be back in the water in no time.

Wish me luck

Last edited:
I'm cool I made it back to the harbor.... Wish me luck
That`s a relief after seeing the pics. I hope the repair goes well.
And welcome back, you were missed.

More like a little over 2 PSI.

Rick,

I used this calculator and came up with 16.9178 psi. It gives the total pressure (not just the pressure due to the water), so it includes the 14.7 psi ambient air pressure at sea level.

Rick,

I used this calculator and came up with 16.9178 psi. It gives the total pressure (not just the pressure due to the water), so it includes the 14.7 psi ambient air pressure at sea level.
But that would be pressing all around the outside keeping the hose in its original shape...it is the delta of the two pressures that is important.

It only takes 2 to 3 psi to blow a steel tank. A rubber hose (and a misapplication, worn out hose ). Even less.

It only takes 2 to 3 psi to blow a steel tank. A rubber hose (and a misapplication, worn out hose ). Even less.

And an inflatable to 3 psi . They arent as rugged as hose..but it may have been compromised.

I stil think the pic looked to uniform..but not a great pic.

Out of thousands of failing black rubber hoses....I have never seen one do that. Once hot, they just usually crack and split.

Not important now that it has been wrapped.

Last edited:
But that would be pressing all around the outside keeping the hose in its original shape...it is the delta of the two pressures that is important.

Oops . . . . thanks Rick and Psneeld. Note to self, engage brain before hitting the reply button :facepalm:

Oops . . . . thanks Rick and Psneeld. Note to self, engage brain before hitting the reply button :facepalm:
About time you joined that club...aready a SENIOR vice president myself....:D

The hit the button club...then reread....then delete ....club...hoping someone hasn't quoted you yet...:eek:

It only takes 2 to 3 psi to blow a steel tank.

If this discussion is about boats ...

46CFR182.440

If it is about steel tanks in general then several standards apply and the minimum test is 3 psig, the normal is 5 psig, and depending on height of the tank, up to 10 psig above the hydrostatic head at the tank bottom in some cases. A 50 foot high, atmospheric vented, oil storage tank might have 20 psig pressure at the bottom ... and more than 3 psig just 10 feet from the top.

A steel tank that fails at 2 or 3 psig was built very poorly or is very very thin. In any event, it is not to be found on a boat or sold for liquid storage of any kind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom