Can't leave home without it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
This should be fun...
A recent thread on water makers got me thinking:
Besides your Nemo cockpit slippers, remote Waggoner page turner and the Jim Neighbors choir collection, what are some of the things you would rather not be without on your boat?

My better half, Michelle.

TP paper
beer
wine
the bar in general
garmin

wow my list could get very long better just stop here for now at least

Sunglasses and my Kindle

what are some of the things you would rather not be without on your boat?

The motors, for sure. Then in no particular order the rudders and wheel, the toilets and toilet paper, and in this climate, the overhead and windows.

The wife, the dog, a chartbook of the area, a compass and a lead line are about it for things that are absolutely essential. Everything else is pretty much a luxury.

Oh, and a can opener.

Last edited:
Besides boat stuff...

Kindle. I forgot my kindle in a seatback pocket of an airliner a few months ago. Luckily I was on my way to NYC and could get a replacement easily. If I'd been flying back to Ketchikan I would have delayed the boat trip home by enough days to get a new Kindle in the mail.

Espresso!

Another one that loves real coffee not Yanky Stew :thumb:

Interesting that the three coffee comments are by Aussies.
We have our E61 machine but have still to acquire our boat! Soon?
Grae (NZ)

That's novel; I thought I was old school because I still like a hand bearing compass.

Lead lines are handy for finding depth at the stern when stern tied...sometimes the bottom can be really steep and the depth sounder (amidship) can be way off.

More wine and beer than I can drink (if that is possible) my nespresso machine and heaps of capsules, and my fishing gear and spear guns the list is endless.

Interesting that the three coffee comments are by Aussies.
We have our E61 machine but have still to acquire our boat! Soon?
Grae (NZ)
Says a lot about Aussie coffee culture eh? I`ve been thinking of switching to a capsule machine, compact, no grinding beans onboard,fast warm up, but the little Sunbeam still works well and I don`t like being captive to one capsule brand.

Espresso.

Says a lot about Aussie coffee culture eh? I`ve been thinking of switching to a capsule machine, compact, no grinding beans onboard,fast warm up, but the little Sunbeam still works well and I don`t like being captive to one capsule brand.

Maybe we should call it Australasian (or ANZAC) coffee culture!
I suggest you stay with actual espresso and away from International "coffee drinks". You would be taking a backward step to Nespresso. When you are ready for a change move up to an E61 HE machine and Italian grinder and accept that great coffee requires human input.
Needless to say I'm in the industry and a coffee snob! (Aussie coffee forum).
Aaaahh....I think you mean epitome, Al. Antipathy means the opposite, sort of...but yes, we get your drift...sorry to be a PITA...

Epitome | Define Epitome at Dictionary.com

antipathy - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

Maybe we should call it Australasian (or ANZAC) coffee culture!
I suggest you stay with actual espresso and away from International "coffee drinks". You would be taking a backward step to Nespresso. When you are ready for a change move up to an E61 HE machine and Italian grinder and accept that great coffee requires human input.
Needless to say I'm in the industry and a coffee snob! (Aussie coffee forum).

As I grind my coffee way to early for me this morning

Can you be more specific on what this E61 machine is for us Nespresso users?

Ted

A couple of years ago - knowing I was a coffee snob, my daughter gave me one of my best fathers day presents - a half day barister course run by Lavazza - just great although sadly I didn`t get to drink much of what I made - too busy making all different types. Anyway it confirmed my pledge that I made years before that instant coffee would never pass my lips!!!

Bruce we still have a Sunbeam and I can now get a great flat white out of it with oh so smooth crema.

I am worried though. We are visiting friends at Christmas - they just moved to Bellhaven, North Carolina and they tell me that there is only one cappuccino machine in the whole town!!! She is an American who has lived in Aus for at least 20 years, he is an Aussie and even she is bemoaning the "stuff" that the restaurants label as coffee after being a fully paid up member of the Aus (and Kiwi) coffee culture club.

That aside, it will be great to get a glimpse of a tiny section of the ICW that is such a feature of this forum - I guess with a beer in my hand, rather than a coffee..........

Life is not the same without Nespresso. But I wouldn't leave without my PFDs.

I don't know about everyone else but for my old boat it's TOOLS :ermm:
It's like my first several cars ( until I could afford a decent one ) I didn't go anywhere without a full tool box .

My iPhone and my ship mates.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 71
  • FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    FullSizeRender-9.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 76
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 65
  • FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    FullSizeRender-5.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 77
"Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Can you be more specific on what this E61 machine is for us Nespresso users?

Ted
A E61 is a cappuccino machine"

More specifically an E61 is an certain type of espresso machine with an "E61 group head" which has been around for 50+ years. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.fivesenses.com.au/blog/2011/01/11/e61-grouphead

Getting back to the OP my must haves on a boat, along with two espresso machines (one for the pilothouse and one for the galley) and some great Colombian coffee beans, would be fishing and diving gear.

Last edited:
I don't know about everyone else but for my old boat it's TOOLS

Well, well, well...
I expected that one to be way closer to the top than #46.
-----Damn coffeholics-----
So, now that you have opened that lid, what, specialty, "neat little gadget" tool do you have that others say, "I gotta get me one of those?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom