Is it wrong???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Besslb

Guru
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 42'
Is it wrong to name your second boat the same as your first? Is it wrong for us to have Skinny Dippin' II??

No, but it's wrong for you to have the same old avatar.

I will change my avatar once I have a new to me boat!!

As the old saying goes.....what ever floats your boat.

We're not asking for an precise example here...just a guesstimate. Something like this....

Attachments

• Skinny Dippin II.jpg
    Skinny Dippin II.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 107
Shouldn't use the same name...be like naming two kids the same.

But #2 is very common.

To me...each big boat was obtained at a new point in my life...so each boat an appropriate name.

Both my brother, Daryl, and my other brother, Daryl, don't think it's a good idea.

Both my brother, Daryl, and my other brother, Daryl, don't think it's a good idea.

LOL!

How many schooners were named "Malabar"? At least up to Malabar X, me thinks. Maybe more.

You can Skinny Dip as much as you like.

I think a boat name should say something about the boat like it's best and most significant chacteristic. I designed a boat that was very light and easy riding. Named her "Easy Rider" before the movie or the kayak. Could have named her "Light Rider" ect.

Boat names shouldn't be jokes and the home port should be where the boat berths .. having nothing to do w where the owner lives. It's about the boat not the bloke that owns her.

The above being my opinion not shared by many .. unfortunately perhaps most. Just an opinion.

However (also my opinion) avatars should be a sign that identifies you and perhaps says something about you or/and your boat. Changing avatars makes it difficult for others to know when a post is by you. Whether or not I read a post or not has a lot to do w who wrote it.

I think it somewhat depends on whether you let the new owner of your old boat keep the name. If I was going to run a series of Skinny Dippin's then I'd require the purchaser to choose a new name.

I think it somewhat depends on whether you let the new owner of your old boat keep the name. If I was going to run a series of Skinny Dippin's then I'd require the purchaser to choose a new name.

While this is a good point, you as the previous owner have no legal rights to keeping the new owner of a vessel from using the same name unless you actually copyright it.

Is it wrong to name your second boat the same as your first? Is it wrong for us to have Skinny Dippin' II??
If that were true, half the boats on the water would be "wrong"!!! I.E. NEVER AGAIN IV

Last edited:
While this is a good point, you as the previous owner have no legal rights to keeping the new owner of a vessel from using the same name unless you actually copyright it.

Actually you do if you put it in the sales contract as a condition of the sale. That is often done by yacht owners. Otherwise, you don't have any rights over it. Most purchasers are more than willing to agree to it if it's done up front.

I know of boats that were sold in our harbor with a contractural condition of the sale that the boat's name would not remain the same because the sellers were going to apply the name to their new boat. In some of these cases the name was simply transferred to the new boat; there was no II or III added to the name.

But... there is a large yacht in our marina named Mary's Promise IV. The same owner has had the same name on three previous yachts with II and III after the name on the second and third yacht. So far as I know there was no legal requirement preventing the buyer from retaining the name although it's a pretty specialized name in this case.

We have a slightly different situation with the same name on two boats at the same time.

Last edited:
...Boat names shouldn't be jokes and the home port should be where the boat berths .. having nothing to do w where the owner lives. It's about the boat not the bloke that owns her.

If the boat is to be documented, be sure the name and port use fonts (style and size) acceptable to the USCG.

Main thing I'd say is to remember how many times you're going to have to say the name you choose over public airwaves and to people directly. Plus it needs to be one easily understood and not offensive. No R - Rated. No double entendre, as much as we generally love them. I'd also attempt to avoid one of those names that hundreds have already chosen.

Most popular names 2013

1. Serenity
2. Second Wind
3. Island Girl
4. Freedom
5. Pura-Vida
6. Andiamo
7. Island Time
8. Irish Wake
9. Happy Hours
10. Seas the Day

Island Time
Seas the Day
It's About Time
Liberty
Serendipity
Second Wind
Dolce Vita
Aquaholic
The Good Life
Nauti Buoy

Seas the Day
Nauti Buoy
Aquaholic
Dream Weaver
Pegasus
Serenity Now
Second Wind
Liquid Asset
Miss Behavin'
Blew By You

Aquaholic
Andiamo
The Black Pearl
La Belle Vita
Mojo
Island Time
No Worries
Second Wind
Serenity
Ohana

And the top fad name in 1987 we owe to Gary Hart, "Monkey Business".

Depends if you named the first one after your first wife......

For the most part, it is easy to differentiate between recreational/"toy" boats among commercial/"real" boats by their names.

I like Freedom. May be our next boat's name....

Last edited:
Our next boat will be MERIDIAN, the same as our last six.

On our part of the upper Missouri we're lucky if the VHF radio crackles to life once or twice a month, but in May we spent a couple weeks on Long Island Sound. I've always thought goofy or double entendre boat names were just kind of juvenile or silly but pretty much roll-my-eyes harmless. The trip in May gave me a whole new perspective. You just don't sound like a serious or competent boater on the radio if your boat has a silly or sexual name.

You just don't sound like a serious or competent boater on the radio if your boat has a silly or sexual name.

Says the guy whose boat is named after an Olivia Newton-John movie! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:flowers: No hard feelings

A boat's name should be easily understood on a VHF radio in an emergency.

Just depends on how superstitious you are personally I would never use the same name on a new boat and when I changed the boats name I had professional ceremony and took all precautions. I would also never own another green boat or take banana's on board

Says the guy whose boat is named after an Olivia Newton-John movie! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:flowers: No hard feelings

HA! :nonono: No no no no, for pete's sake, it's the Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem, you know, "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan, a stately pleasure-dome decree, where Alph the sacred river ran...Five miles meandering with a mazy motion,through wood and dale the sacred river ran... Missouri River, get it, river...and I grew up on the Connecticut River, then majored in English literature, hence the poem (although the previous owner chose it). Oh never mind, fine, fine, I'll go fire up my ELO albums and put on my roller skates and my wife can put on her ankle warmers and we'll just dance around the salon to the Xanadu theme. My wife will need shoulder pads and bigger hair though. And I'll have to get bigger glasses and thin ties. But I'm not going back to the open cockpit Blue Jay sailboat I had in the 80's, I have to draw the line somewhere. Although I could install salon LED's that cycle through colors for the disco effect...hmmm.:dance:

Wifey B:

From Xanadu: Magic

You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you

Xanadu

A place where nobody dared to go
The love that we came to know
They call it Xanadu

And now, open your eyes and see
What we have made is real
We are in Xanadu

A million lights are dancing
And there you are, a shooting star
An everlasting world and you're here with me
Eternally

Xanadu - Xanadu (now we are here)
In Xanadu
In Xanadu

Xanadu your neon lights will shine
For you Xanadu

The love, the echoes of long ago
You needed the world to know, they are in Xanadu

The dream that came through a million years
That lived on through all the tears
It came to Xanadu

A million lights are dancing and there you are
A shooting star, an everlasting world and you're
Here with me eternally

In Xanadu

Now that I'm here, now that you're near in Xanadu

Ok, not from Xanadu but still ONJ.

Let's get physical, physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk
Let me hear your body talk

Now you have me singing. If it wasn't so late the keyboard and background tracks would come out and hubby and I would have a song fest.

I think carefully of boat names, all the misinterpretations, all the other connotations. A bit like parents who come up with what they think are cute kids names without thinking how much harassment the kid will endure over the years.

Wifey B:

From Xanadu: Magic

Nothin' can stand in our way
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you

Xanadu

A place where nobody dared to go
The love that we came to know
They call it Xanadu

And now, open your eyes and see
What we have made is real
We are in Xanadu

A million lights are dancing
And there you are, a shooting star
An everlasting world and you're here with me
Eternally

In Xanadu
In Xanadu

Xanadu your neon lights will shine
For you Xanadu

The love, the echoes of long ago
You needed the world to know, they are in Xanadu

The dream that came through a million years
That lived on through all the tears
It came to Xanadu

A million lights are dancing and there you are
A shooting star, an everlasting world and you're
Here with me eternally

In Xanadu

Now that I'm here, now that you're near in Xanadu

Ok, not from Xanadu but still ONJ.

Let's get physical, physical
I wanna get physical
Let's get into physical
Let me hear your body talk, your body talk
Let me hear your body talk

Now you have me singing. If it wasn't so late the keyboard and background tracks would come out and hubby and I would have a song fest.

STOP

I just took the granddaughters to a greece revival play

was tough on Popi

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom