Bumming Fuel Money From Guests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I was invited for a trip out I would make the offer...Just good Manners

Exactly!

After extended cruises of a day or two... I've simply handed friends with fuel guzzling cruisers a couple hundred in a small sealed envelope saying "Thanks" on the front. Good manners and common courtesy.

Even a 6 pack boat will be inspected to have a license.

Its a nothing , a cardboard box with life preservers , fire gear etc would easily pass.
Not true: UPV stands for "UN inspected Passenger Vessel"
USCG: Passenger Vessel Safety Program - Uninspected Passenger Vessel
and:
http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/UPV_GUIDEBOOK_under100GT_CGD11_2014.pdf

The safety items are of a higher caliber than most stuff carried on regular boats. Look at your life jackets. They typically state 'Not for use on commercial vessels" or something like that. PFDs must be Type l when on a passenger vessel.

But, UPVs are not inspected (unless you get an auxiliary inspection) unless you have an incident or have a random boarding.

I'm got a little sign in the head it says the boat runs better on diesel than thank you.
Just sayn.
I always fill up when I return to the harbor anybody wants to chip in fine with me.
I never really aske but people give me money all the time.
Friends always want to help out. I only take friends on my boat. if they aren't friends when they board they are by the time they get off.

Welcome aboard TF Noel S, and to the growing Aussie TF group.
I`m not upset by offers of $ contributions but always say no. I had a friend insist on provisioning the boat for a weekend, nice of him, a good friend, currently unwell. Things you remember about a friend in trouble.

Do you charge guests that you invite to stay in your house a fee to cover some expense of your home?
That was my thought. If I invite someone to my house for dinner, do I put out a "tips" jar, or ask them to pay a part of the meal cost?

Of course, if they bring a bottle of wine, or some other gift, I will graciously accept. But when they ring the doorbell I don't open the door with my hand out, and tell them that they have to pay up or go away!

I think many here obviously have different relationships with their guests that make them comfortable or uncomfortable accepting or subtly asking for money. We have a slightly different reason we do not accept any money or help paying for fuel. We have guests from extremely different economic situations, from wealthy beyond imagination to both parents work two low paying jobs just to make ends meet for their family. We don't accept money from any of them as we'd be very concerned that it might make the one who couldn't give any very uncomfortable and hesitant to come. They all bring items of food at different times but they also have us to their homes for meals. But we wouldn't consider anything which might make our poor, hard working, incredibly good people, friends feel bad in any way.

Even were it not for this concern, we'd not want to accept money from our invited guests. But with this, we do make it clear that none is accepted.

Bringing up the thoughts of different guests; when my nephew and niece come along they want to actively plan the day, the destination, and how long, and what to do.

They also (without fail) race me to the pump, grocery store, or liquor store.

Other people who we ask along, don't bring a ting. And aren't expected to.

I guess it depends who is coming, and how involved we are with them.

That was my thought. If I invite someone to my house for dinner, do I put out a "tips" jar, or ask them to pay a part of the meal cost?

Of course, if they bring a bottle of wine, or some other gift, I will graciously accept. But when they ring the doorbell I don't open the door with my hand out, and tell them that they have to pay up or go away!

Nice to see mate. I was starting to think I was the only one that thought like this!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

I took on 1400 gallons yesterday at 2.62/gallon, filling 2 of 3 tanks. The third tank was close to full with fuel for which I paid $3.50/gallon not too long ago. Heading out on a multi-day trip in a few days with mostly regulars. Everyone knows the drill -- all out of pocket costs (basically, fuel, bait, food and drink) are split. One or two guys will buy all the food, one guy will get drinks, whomever is handy will pay for the bait. We will add up the costs and contribute accordingly.

It struck me that some of you will think it is cheap of me to suggest that we use FIFO, rather than LIFO, in accounting for fuel costs. Fortunately, my crew is good natured and will enjoy arguing about that.

Yep!!! And in the end, what is the purpose of your boat?? I guess that is a rhetorical question. But for me, the purpose is to allow a place for family and friends to gather. And it works perfectly for its intended purpose....and to me, that is priceless!!!

I'm got a little sign in the head it says the boat runs better on diesel than thank you.
Just sayn.
I always fill up when I return to the harbor anybody wants to chip in fine with me.
I never really aske but people give me money all the time.
Friends always want to help out. I only take friends on my boat. if they aren't friends when they board they are by the time they get off.

Hey SD, where ya been?

Yep!!! And in the end, what is the purpose of your boat??...... But for me, the purpose is to allow a place for family and friends to gather. And it works perfectly for its intended purpose....and to me, that is priceless!!!

OC Diver wrote: Do you charge guests that you invite to stay in your house a fee to cover some expense of your home?
Both of these statements answer the original question very nicely, I think. While the list of people we will invite out on a boat with us is very short, some here and some in Europe/UK, the purpose is the same as John describes as is the value.

Everybody approaches boating or other costly activities differently so there's no right or wrong approach. For us, we would be doing these things--- flying, boating, etc.-- anyway and whether we do it ourselves or other people come along the cost is the same.

The one exception is when we use a narrowboat in the UK. If we go alone, we obviously pay the entire cost of the boat. But when good friends say they'd like to do a canal trip with us we have always split the cost of the boat evenly between us.

Last edited:
Sorry folks after the admiral passed. Just sort of lost heart. Even hauled the boat for a while. Life goes on back at it again.
Sd

Sorry folks after the admiral passed. Just sort of lost heart. Even hauled the boat for a while. Life goes on back at it again.
Sd

It's sure good to see you posting again, Dave! How's the shrimping?

Sd

Just takes time to get over something like that. You have my admiration for the way you took care of her. Stick around. We don't want to lose a good man. Oh yeah, how is the shrimping and crabbing?

Sd

Completely understandable. I know the pain goes with you forever, but do hope you're gradually finding the ability to move forward and enjoy life again.

Such a first world problem :)
. If you own a little boat like mine that runs at around $15 a hour/ $60 a day who cares about fuel. I would rather enjoy others company and not have the worries of fuel cost.;)

Sd

So good to see you posting again and sharing your knowledge with the heartbreaking losses in my life I can not imagine loosing the Admiral

SD - Good to hear from you!

very tacky idea.

Its very difficult to steer a middle course between being open and generous, and being taken advantage of.

After a life time of experience, and being nearly 60, I employ the three strikes and you're out method .

Generously entertain new people you meet the first time you invite them over. If you get on well, ask them over a second time. If you really like them, ask them a third time...

If they don't reciprocate after three invitations, cross, them off the list: no exceptions.( even badly off people can afford a cup of coffee).

Decent people freely contribute and return hospitality; free loaders just take and take...

Back
Top Bottom