Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On TAD's pics the top one looks much like a 27' Monterey Clipper. I see though she's in Seattle. Boat looks considerably smaller than my Willard. Dosn't seem the best boat for a FB. A lot of W30s do though.

Dave re the red GB. Good example of why most boats are white. Or nearly so.

Last edited:
Yes, it does look like a Duck, I wonder if it is a home built. It does not appear to have sails or paravanes.

Was the rudder above the water line?

Later,

Dan

Yes I think it was that big exterior rudder.

The boat was at LuLu's.

Tad

That second pic is a really nice looking boat. When I become rich and famous maybe you can design one for me. ?

View attachment 42439

I've never seen a red hulled Grand Banks before. That's mildly interesting.

White hulled GB designs (especially the older ones like this - from post 2008) remind me of my horse ranch grandfather who passed in 1964... i.e. stotted

With red hull... this GB reminds me of his wife, with skirt on.

Neither were my favorite in family... Aggie certainly was NOT!

Definition of STOT (stot·ted / stot·ting)</SPAN>: to bound with a stiff-legged gait <the gazelle stotted when alarmed>

Last edited:
Art the boats are supposed to be interesting here .....

Add interesting posts.

Art the boats are supposed to be interesting here .....

Add interesting posts.

Eric - Take a nap - grumpy!

PS: I don't feel GB's are very interesting... what ever color the hull. Unlike many boats shown here that are VERY interesting.

Last edited:
Don't get me started ;)

I want to design boats like this

View attachment 42423

Or maybe this.....

View attachment 42424

But folks are actually spending money on boats like this.....

View attachment 42425

I did do this recently though....72' x 16'6" commuter for an African owner, cold-molded wood, twin 450HP Cummins engines for 20 knts top and cruising at 17.

View attachment 42426

Yest all, except that blue hulled double wide.What is that thing?It is interesting but looks hard to propel without tremendous amounts of power.

When I see this.I think of the but flap on an adult onesie.

nordic-23-34103070141250575557485551684568x.jpg

il_340x270.363828858_gxs9.jpg

Tad

That second pic is a really nice looking boat. When I become rich and famous maybe you can design one for me. ?

Assuming modest riches....we would scale her back from 70ish to say 38'?

Something like this.....

38rescueship.jpg

Art and Walt,
Just trying to say your post was interesting. Since this is about "interesting" boats I thought you'd take it as a compliment .. it was.

TAD,
I like that but a lot like a Willard Voyager. I have friends w a Voyager that would love that.

Last edited:
Saw this boat at Seabrook Marina in Nola.

What is it?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437915807.297936.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437915826.113337.jpg

Dude,
Who says we're running out of interesting boats!
This one's great. From ventilated topsides to a real dinghy to a real stack. Now that's a proper dinghy. I never like stacks (funnels) but this one's so well done how can one not like it? Look at the fan tail structure under the aft end of the upper deck. Not to her credit though she is a bit slab sided. Thought there was an OB on the wheery style dinghy but it's a stern light. Stout posts for an upper deck .. no problem. Not a boat we'd be likely to see in the PNW. Interesting indeed!

There was also a cannon in the front and a set of big whistles.

Two interesting boats seen on our recent holiday travels on BC's north coast...Surfbird and Balboa;

Attachments

• Surfbird, Barnard Harbour, Princess Royal Island.jpg
    Surfbird, Barnard Harbour, Princess Royal Island.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Balboa, McMicking Inlet, Campania Island.jpg
    Balboa, McMicking Inlet, Campania Island.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 141
Yest all, except that blue hulled double wide.What is that thing?It is interesting but looks hard to propel without tremendous amounts of power.

That is the ill fated Northern Marine vessel that immediately did a slow roll onto her side when she was launched last year.

I think Tad was having a bit of fun when he included her in his photos.

That is the ill fated Northern Marine vessel that immediately did a slow roll onto her side when she was launched last year.

I think Tad was having a bit of fun when he included her in his photos.

Oh yeah.I didn't put two and two together. :thumb:

Got ta be careful here in TF.... some times, depending on poster... 2 + 3 = 4 in reality :D

Must be that new common core math my kids are doing.:rofl:

Tad,

I may be wrong here - but I'm pretty sure nobody builds boats like this in Port Alberni. I'm from there, and get up there frequently - and have not ever seen boats of this size being built. Are you thinking of another city BC city?

Pretty sure this is a repeat as well. She was in last night. Greg Marshall design built in Port Alberni.

attachment.php

View attachment 42394

Tad,

I may be wrong here - but I'm pretty sure nobody builds boats like this in Port Alberni. I'm from there, and get up there frequently - and have not ever seen boats of this size being built. Are you thinking of another city BC city?

Wherever it was built, it is a beauty. More info.

SPECS

Wow - thanks. I'm amazed - it was built by Alberni Engineering. I didn't think they built anything that large.

I've posted shots of the fisheries vessel Pelican before but she was recently moved to the end of our dock. I shot this iPhone picture as we entered our harbor the other weekend. This is what I consider to be near flawless design aesthetics. By comparison, most modern production boats seem in my view to be blobs of melted plastic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Interesting boat ... converted from 1915 built Norwegian trawler.

Attachments

• Baltic 1.jpg
    Baltic 1.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Baltic 2.jpg
    Baltic 2.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 279
Tad,

I don't blame you for being doubtful, but ya, it really happened. The project serves as a warning to those who would undertake a large custom boat from a startup builder. Alberni Shipyard/Engineering was not really a startup, but they had never built a large custom yacht, they had built dozens of commercial vessels.

The project ran way over budget, years past the contracted completion date, they had to rip out and replace the first interior as it was not anything close to yacht quality. Then they launched and forgot a transducer or something, filled the new boat with saltwater, back to yard for another rebuild.

Ocean Haven Yachts folded under the weight of the multi-million dollar lawsuit resulting from their first build. They then became Alberni Yacht Corp., I have a thick file of work done for them , none of which was ever payed for. The van Wachem family (Nanaimo Shipyard Group) was behind it, but soon learned it was a great way to loose a bunch of money.

In the day (2000-2001) they were running full page adds in Passagemaker Magazine.

Oceanhaven.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom