Living on a Carver Mariner - Looking to Make the Switch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m1021

Vessel Make
American Tug 34
Hi all! Been living aboard for over 5 yrs on a cheap, roomy mini-van of a powerboat, but she isn't "me" if you know what I mean. My heart belongs to an American Tug 34 I think. I know she's out there somewhere...currently being loved by a nice retired couple who is about to pass her along so they can spend more time on land with the grandkids....I'll be ready to carry along the good treatment...I just know there's an AT34 out there for me! :)

Does anyone here have an AT34 or AT365 in the MD/VA/DE area who would be willing to let me pop in for a visit to pick your brains, get an honest opinion, and generally drool over your boat? I could come bearing gifts of wine and/or fancy cheeses!

I've done a TON of research. Being a liveaboard - closet space, the huge separate shower (rare even in larger boats), storage in the galley, and general "livability" are key. Frankly, I know what I need - as someone who has lived aboard for 5 yrs, while working a 9-5 on land (unfortunately lots of space for suits and heels!) and what I don't need (space taken up by wine-chiller fridges, spare space taken up by extra berths for family who could easily sleep on a pullout settee instead, etc).

My concerns are that the settee/dinette is too stiff-backed (I am used to the lush interiors of planing powerboats, and trawlers tend to be for ex-sailboaters who are used to the stoic sailboat "bench seats" that quite frankly...stink!)

I am also concerned about the steering. I'm used to docking in a TIGHT Annapolis spot, coming inches from the boat perpendicular to me. I know the AT34 has bow-trusters, but with the single screw...I'm worried.

I also have never got used to the feel of being a top-heavy powerboater who gets bounced around by other boat's wakes from side-to-side. I don't mind the feeling of porpoising for whatever reason, but the side-to-side has always freaked me out on my current boat. I guess I'd make a rotten, scaredy-cat sailboater. Also, although I've lived aboard for 5yrs, I've mostly been a dockrat, chained to the job on land, and taking my boat out on the weekends when I can. So in truth I probably only have as much experience on the water as a full-time cruiser who has been cruising for a few months. Basically, still a newbie in many ways. Really curious to see how ATs handle re:stability.

Advice welcomed!!!!

Hi all! Been living aboard for over 5 yrs on a cheap, roomy mini-van of a powerboat, but she isn't "me" if you know what I mean. !

What is your current cheap, roomy min-van of a powerboat? Trying to understand better what you're comparing to.

Thread title...

Attachments

• 330_mariner_20094536.jpg
    330_mariner_20094536.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 112
Thread title...

Thanks. I still have the question of what length Carver Mariner. My concern is that if space is part of the reason for the change, I don't know that they gain that much on an AT 34.

Thanks. I still have the question of what length Carver Mariner. My concern is that if space is part of the reason for the change, I don't know that they gain that much on an AT 34.

Eggs-act-aly

A 28' Mariner is the only model I can think of with less space than an AT34. And that's purely a matter of beam. With a well made canvas it's arguable that a 28' Carver Mariner would have more usable room than an AT34.

That was just one of several deigns, layouts and sizes that had the name Mariner....so mine was a bit of a guess but from the description.....I am guessing the pic and the 28 footer.

I am also concerned about the steering. I'm used to docking in a TIGHT Annapolis spot, coming inches from the boat perpendicular to me. I know the AT34 has bow-trusters, but with the single screw...I'm worried.

I also have never got used to the feel of being a top-heavy powerboater who gets bounced around by other boat's wakes from side-to-side. I don't mind the feeling of porpoising for whatever reason, but the side-to-side has always freaked me out on my current boat. I guess I'd make a rotten, scaredy-cat sailboater. Also, although I've lived aboard for 5yrs, I've mostly been a dockrat, chained to the job on land, and taking my boat out on the weekends when I can. So in truth I probably only have as much experience on the water as a full-time cruiser who has been cruising for a few months. Basically, still a newbie in many ways. Really curious to see how ATs handle re:stability.

I wouldn't worry too much about docking a single with a thruster. Some informed practice solves about 90% of docking.

Useful sometimes to have a crew member on board to set and manage a spring line, but sometimes you can do that yourself, too.... usually depending on your boat's configuration.

If you find it necessary after some practice, or if your wallet runneth over, you could always add a stern thruster.

Most boats with a flybridge can feel a bit "rolly" when you're up top, much less so when you're on the main deck or below. Sailboats usually have the additional advantage of steadying because of the sail and the opposing keel, so it would possibly feel better to you, rather than worse. Still, that side-to-side thing on your current is pretty much normal, so just get over it.

Har har! :)

-Chris

Last edited:
That was just one of several deigns, layouts and sizes that had the name Mariner....so mine was a bit of a guess but from the description.....I am guessing the pic and the 28 footer.

Scot, the picture looks like a 35. The 28 was a much older boxier model. They also made the later model in a 42. The description by the OP was too sketchy for me to know which Carver Mariner. I had a friend with a 35 that was quite large on the inside.

Scot, the picture looks like a 35. The 28 was a much older boxier model. They also made the later model in a 42. The description by the OP was too sketchy for me to know which Carver Mariner. I had a friend with a 35 that was quite large on the inside.
My bad on the pic...says 330 right on the side.....but I was just trying to give the general style/layout for guestimating responses.

Good catch Don!

m1021, there's another easy option you'd usually have available. If weather temporarily makes your home dock a bit too much of a challenge... grab a mooring in the harbor, wait it out. Could be a pleasant way to spend some time, anyway. :)

-Chris

My bad on the pic...says 330 right on the side.....but I was just trying to give the general style/layout for guestimating responses.

Good catch Don!

So the OP has abandoned us and we don't even know what size boat they currently have.

Oh boy! I thought the forum would send me an email notification when someone replied and here I've been a terrible poster! Had no idea all you helpful trawlerers were posting back to help me! :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

I'm on a Carver 350 Mariner:
01.jpg
15 yrs old, and has served me well in terms of space inside (more than I even need really!) Carvers sure do know how to do INTERIOR space. The trouble is that - because of the spacious interior - its a big "Nike Sneaker" on the outside. Handles like one too. And the exterior appearance...oh boy...not to be shallow, but I'll never forget strutting my stuff at "Ego Alley" in Annapolis a few years ago, only to get knocked down a peg when someone yelled "Shamu!" at me.

But I've stayed with it because of the cheap living (worth about 50K), the wonderful separate shower, and the good clothing storage.

Its 37 LOA, and I don't want to go larger. I want something I can pilot with guests who don't know boats. Not necessarily single-hand, but hand with nonboaters, if you know what I mean.

I also just like small (but well designed) spaces. You can have a 50fter but if the designers didn't suck every last piece of storage out of her, she might have the same amount of storage as a 35fter. From what I can tell, the AT34 has storage-galore in the stateroom!!!

Yesterday, I was on a Swift Trawler 34 - impressed me for sure, but I guess I saw the bunk beds and thought - I don't need that extra bedroom. I like that the AT34 has only one, and the space is instead given to the luxurious shower. :) I love hosting guests, but a pullout couch is good enough for my needs.

So, nice shower, good storage (not necessarily larger rooms, just equivalent amounts of smart storage is what I'm looking for), and most of all HANDLING! I'm so tired of driving that Nike Sneaker around, getting blown about in light wind because she's a big sail (essentially), and I don't even have a need-for-speed. I like to putz around enjoying nature, not zooming up the river and feeling the pounding, you know? :)

Also, am I missing any boats in my search list? Anything you all would recommend I get onboard and see?

You can make the forum send you notifications when somebody posts. Visit User CP and select your Preferences.

-Chris

Haha! I love those pics! Thank you guys!

By the way, I also had a broker show me a Greenline Hybrid recently...would be in the market for the 33 if so. But boy that boat stunk - literally! A few years old and yet the toxic new boat smell was still VERY noticable (cheap glues used in the interior finishes probably).

Also, cheap looking furnishings like all the curtains, beds, etc...of course all that could be changed, but it turned me off.

Of course I DO love the back portion of the boat. That was gorgeous and the idea of quietly gliding around on solar power. Then I came home, did more research and learned the Swift Trawler 34 is thinking about adding a hybrid option soon too and has it in a test boat. Hmm...interesting!!

But I still keep coming back to the AT34. Also I like that I can get one of those for under 200K in the used market (from what I'm seeing online).

Back
Top Bottom