Odd Radar Mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
Saw this on the float next to ours.

He seems to think out of the box not unlike myself as evidenced buy this radar mount and then the anchor mounting. I wouldn't do this though.

Attachments

• DSCF2015.jpg
    DSCF2015.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF2016.jpg
    DSCF2016.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 177
I would refuse a boat where the radar radiates my body or brain! One reason for my mast-mounted radar was to keep the radiation far away. ... Eric, hope they don't have the radar on while in the marina next to you. ... Curious as to the range of this "low range" unit.

Last edited:
The new radars are not a problem. Do not ask why my child looks like a giraffe.

I would refuse a boat where the radar radiates my body or brain! One reason for my mast-mounted radar was to keep the radiation far away. ... Eric, hope they don't have the radar on while in the marina next to you. ... Curious as to the range of this "low range" unit.

Looks to be a 3G broadband radar which has zero radiation hazard according to the manufacturer........Lowrance Broadband 3G Radar - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

Mark,

That Lowrance unit is a "Broadband" radar with extremely low emissions. It is the safest of all radars, and can be mounted anywhere. Broadband radar has fewer emissions than a mobile phone.

As for range, it will be diminished somewhat, but assuming it is mounted 5 or 6 feet above the water, the radar horizon will be about 3 miles. You can demonstrate that here to see there is actually not as much difference as you might think.

That Lowrance unit is a "Broadband" radar with extremely low emissions. It is the safest of all radars, and can be mounted anywhere. Broadband radar has fewer emissions than a mobile phone. ...

So the seller claims.

So the seller claims.

Mark,

This is an 'apples to oranges' comparison of completely different technology.

A 3G Broadband FMCW (Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave) radar radiates just 0.165 Watts Calculated Average Power. That's about 1/10 the 1.6 watts maximum allowed in the US.

In contrast, a small, Garmin GMR18HD 4KW radar radiates 2.235 Watts Calculated Average Power, about 13.5 times that of the 3G Broadband radar.

The Garmin's average effect is only 2.235 Watts, and that's only if you hug the radome, or about 50% more than your mobile phone (1.6 watts maximum in the US). The radiation is not cumulative. It is microwave radiation, same as from your microwave oven and quite similar to that of your mobile phone, although slightly different frequency. You will pick up more radiation speaking in your mobile phone, sitting too close to an old TV, standing within 3 feet of the microwave or spending a day in the sun than you will from standing next to a 4 kW radar.

It's just not the same thing.:thumb:

Last edited:
Even the old style radars could be programmed with dead zones to protect the cockpit.

Though more than a foot or so away from a 2kw units wouldn't inflict much radiation at all.

The ne broadband are similar to cel, phone output.

He obviously doesn't care what is behind him.

I don't exceed cell-phone use of 40 minutes a month!

Microwave ovens were the result of radars melting a scientist's chocolate bars in his pocket.

So, I'm microwave shy! :blush:

It looks like the entire rig is supported by a couple of ratchet type antenna mounts, I wonder how that will hold up, bouncing along on what looks like a "go fast" boat.
Good luck to them,

This is kinda funny.
I hardly gave radiation a thought. I just thought it was awful funny look'in (emphasis on awful) and running the boat trying to see around that radar bucket strikes me as ..... don't want to use any of the words that come to mind. But basically it was just odd. Never would'a thought anyone would do that.

Edit ..
Thought just occurred to me that at speed both the radar and anchor could be above the horizon. As to the anchor the fluke is a lot thinner than the roll bar.

Last edited:
Let's hope no one sunbathes on the front deck while the radar is on, talk about a good tan!

The radiation (or lack thereof) issue aside, it seems like someone's mission was to mount the radar in the place it would be least effective, get in the way the most, get drenched in salt water, inhibit visibility from the helm, and as a result make the owner look just plain dumb. Will be interesting to see how long it stays there.

I can just see that anchor ripping free underway in a blow and lodging itself into that beautiful, glossy radome.

If I had to mount an anchor upside down to get it to fit onboard, I'd find another anchor...or a bigger boat.

When that boat's on plane, that radar antenna angle must be way off. I'd be surprised if he could see much at all.

I bet that mount fails first.

Last edited:
The low antenna mounting has one advantage and that is it will "see" stuff in the water a lot closer to the boat than the traditional high mount on a mast or arch. Obviously this will only happen if the antenna is aligned with the horizon when the boat is in it's normal cruising trim.

It's the only advantage of our antenna mount which is in the old fashioned position of the flying bridge face. This is common on older boats like ours because they tend to have solid wood masts which made running the heavy, thick radar antenna cables of that era from the antenna to the display unit up forward a challenge.

In our waters with debris and crab pot floats and such the ability to see things right up to the boat can be an advantage when running in poor visibility like fog. It's not enough of an advantage for me to ever recommend a flying bridge face mount over a mast or arch mount, however.

And.... with a conventional radar at least, this bow mount will greatly limit target reflection reception from aft of the boat. I don't know if broadband has this limitation.

Be interesting to know the reasoning behind this particular fellow's choice of antenna mounting.......

Last edited:
Remember 9/11/2001 when the EPA said the air at ground zero was safe?

Please return carts when not in use.

Let's hope no one sunbathes on the front deck while the radar is on, talk about a good tan!

I thought it was there for that to speed the tanning

I don't exceed cell-phone use of 40 minutes a month!

Microwave ovens were the result of radars melting a scientist's chocolate bars in his pocket.

So, I'm microwave shy! :blush:

Get one of those aluminum foil hats and all will be good..also keep the alien's from reading your thoughts!

:whistling:

Hollywood

The radiation (or lack thereof) issue aside, it seems like someone's mission was to mount the radar in the place it would be least effective, get in the way the most, get drenched in salt water, inhibit visibility from the helm, and as a result make the owner look just plain dumb. Will be interesting to see how long it stays there.

Thank You!!!

That is exactly what I was going to post!

Durability test on the ability of the electronics and drive mechanize to survive extreme pounding. The worse place on a boat for mounting fragile stuff.

The safety of the unit is fine as has been stated.

Looks stupid.

I took this photo yesterday of an Endeavour 40 Sky Lounge Cat. The original location of the radar was probably OK, considering it was recommended that a 16 degree down angle forward must be unobstructed. But then came the roof top A/C and Sat TV dome. Duh?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 77
Get one of those aluminum foil hats and all will be good..also keep the alien's from reading your thoughts!

:whistling:

Hollywood

Be prepared! Thinking some eye holes might be helpful...:)
DSCF0106-vi.jpg

Larry--- It's hard to tell in the photo but if the radar antenna is a wee bit higher than the top of the satellite dome and the air conditioner there shouldn't be any problems.

The satellite dome is plastic and about the top third empty. We had a similar juxtaposition on the Hatteras (see avatar) without issue. But yeah, putting a spacer on the radar in the picture looks like it would have been a good idea from that angle, given the AC.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to make that mount. There does seem to be a bizarre logic applied, like the owner said, go to West Marine and build me a radar mount today with whatever they have in stock.. The down-angle is adjustable with those antenna ratchet mounts. Curious to know why they shaped the starboard base the way they did!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom