When did you start Cruising?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Off Duty

Guru
Ok, here's one that may have been answered already. If so, please feel free to delete it.

I'm almost 59, and we're just now starting to plan our future adventures aboard. It's still probably a year, 2 maybe 3, away from fruition for a few reasons, non of which can't be otherwise resolved pretty timely with a little doing.

Here's the rub. Sometimes I feel like I've wasted too much of my life on crap that didn't/doesn't matter, and may have waited too late in life to really start following a passion.

Don't get me wrong. Through a law enforcement career, military (USCG) service, and my time in the private sector, I've had a great ride!
And like others here in their own right, have seen and done some things that others will only read about.

Maybe it's because I've had a few friends my age and younger, become ill or pass away recently, that's made me think? IDK?

Regardless, for those of you that didn't have career's on the water, at what age did you either decide that this was what you wanted to do, or actually started doing it?

Thanks,

OD

OD

two phases started cruising as a very young child at 8 on the Mississippi and the Land between the lakes area and then we moved to Florida living on the water

by the time I was a very young adult I did not even own a boat

I will be 52 in a couple months and we bought our go slow boat 19 months ago and agree wish I had done it sooner but at least your heading that way

we have some great friends cruising in the late 70s to late 80s

Many people equate cruising with fulfillment of dreams.

They are doing many things they like now, just aren't doing it by "the cruising life". They are getting fulfillment from vacations and think cruising will be like one long one.

You meet these people all the time...they buy their dream cruising boat and within a couple years they have an annual slip, another dirt dwelling and ties to the community. Sure they may take a few short cruises here and there....but not a lot of difference when they were working.

Most people who have never cruised extensively or lived aboard, dont have the capacity to fully guage what it would be like....but not unusual for "dreams".

Not a direct assessment of anyone here...just pointing out that carefully tuning your dreams to reality takes alot of effort. Many of us would agree that our lives turned out drastically from our childhood dreams of life....cruising life can be a mini version of ups and downs too.

Often you can see the beginning of the whole process when someone asks what kind of boat, posters reply "what are you going to do with it" and the replies go from sail the seven seas to not being sure about anything.

Reality for most of us is somewhere in between....just where that goes ....nobody really knows......:D

Last edited:
Well, OD, at 73 I have you by a few years. Circumstances being what they are I am still working by choice. Because it is difficult for me to pursue long range cruising, we still cruise and see areas on a pretty regular basis. We next week will be moving Moonstruck from Fort Pierce to Jacksonville where it will stay for several months.

To answer your question more directly I started doing some coastal cruising in 1973. Over the 42 years we have covered the area from the Chesapeake south to the Bahamas, the Keys, and around to Louisiana pretty well. As I have often said, "if it weren't for short trips, we would have no trips". So don't wait. Take advantage of any window you have. There may not be another.

"Sometimes I feel like I've wasted too much of my life on crap that didn't/doesn't matter, and may have waited too late in life to really start following a passion."

I think we all have felt that way at some point in our life. I know I have, however it is never to late in life to follow your passion. The main things is, to do it! You will enjoy the time that you are following your passion.

"Regardless, for those of you that didn't have career's on the water, at what age did you either decide that this was what you wanted to do, or actually started doing it?"

Answer: About 5 years of age. G.Father took me out and I was hooked.

Happy Cruising to you OD. Cheers.

H. Foster

Boat the boat at age 55, retired and started serious cruising at age 62.

Well, OD, at 73 I have you by a few years. Circumstances being what they are I am still working by choice........

"if it weren't for short trips, we would have no trips". So don't wait. Take advantage of any window you have. There may not be another.
Although I am older than Moonstruck, he is my hero! (except for that "still working thing.") Don is one of the reasons I went back to a faster boat! I got so sick and tired of reading about the cruises to the Bahamas and other distant destinations that he made that I decided to take the bull by the horns and update! I'm so glad that I did! (Even at my age!...74.) :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 94
Really what you are is asking is when you backed off of the working life to pursue your dreams, whether they be cruising or some other dream.

That is really a mix of what you find important in life and finances. As I get older I am seeing more people that work because they like working, or work because they don't have any real hobbies. They have spent a lifetime being a (insert profession here). I underlined "being" because thats how they picture themselves. they "are" a what ever their job is.

The percentage of people like that in my field of electronics is amazingly high at something over 50%. They are easy to spot. Guys that are so serious about their jobs. Guys that have 500 hours of vacation on the books.

I do not fit into that mold. I really enjoy my profession but I have hobbies that I enjoy more. So, for me its all financial.

As to when that is, any one of us could leave and go pursue our dreams at any time. It just depends on how much we are willing to give up to chase those dreams. People can and do lead minimalistic lifestyles both on land and at sea, and are quite happy out of the "rat race". Sailboaters cruise the world, many on almost nothing financially.

so, when is dependent on many things... :)

"Maybe it's because I've had a few friends my age and younger, become ill or pass away recently, that's made me think? IDK? "

OD, for me, the easy answer to your question is I started at age 5 with my rowboat. Man, I was CRUISIN'!

But the introspective thinking it appears you're doing is natural when you get to your age. You start thinking about "What am I doing here?" and "Is this what I really want to be doing in a few years?"

For me, I left LE at age 44. Way too young to retire and way too far from being financially ready to retire. I made a couple of job changes over the years that set me up (mentally and financially) for retirement and took the step at the end of 2010.

I was so ready for retirement. I loved my job and liked my clients but was mentally ready to pull the plug. I purposely let all of my licenses expire so I wouldn't have that safety net of being able to go back to work if I changed my mind.

Looking back on my decisions I made, I've never regretted them. Yeah, there are days when I'm bored but there are a lot more days when I'm really enjoying being able to do what I want, when I want and how I want.

I cannot wait to read Janice aboard seaweed's reply to this thread. All things being equal folks, that woman truly is my boating hero.

In answer to the op, decide now what is important to you and dispose of the rest. I'm not referring to the physical act of moving aboard a boat neither, the above sentence is meant to be far deeper than that.

I had a friend that would comment on my short trips. He would say something like I wouldn't go to DC unless I had the time to do everything I wanted. Well we did that a lot of places, but due to time restrictions had to do it over time. Sadly, he passed away without ever doing any of the things he so wanted. He just refused to take what window he had. We carried him along with his hopes to the grave side. We had several conversations about just that over the years.

My first cruising was in college days. In the summer I took a 14 day cruise in my old 17' varnished mahogany OB cruiser powered by a 35hp Johnson.

Went across to the San Juan Is being amazed by the kelp and currents near a rock about 10' below. Went to Friday hbr and had lunch. Later went across the channel and anchored in a very small bay. Probably the first time I'd ever anchored. Used a small Dan as I recall. Nothing's changed it seems as I still use a small anchor, a bit of chain and nylon. Don't think I set the anchor in those days though. So that's way different.

Cleared customs at Pender Is and went out Active Pass and across the Strait. Two foot or so seas on the beam. Slowed down to 7 knots and leaned out the carb for a nice smooth economical run across Georgia Strait. Passed under the Lion's Gate Bridge and into Coal Harbour. Bought some fuel at one of the floating fuel barges .. oiled up to 24-1 and headed east. Went up Indian Arm to the end and anchored for the night. Never will forget having a beer sitting in the stern enjoying the calm summer evening.

Back into Georgia Strait and up the north fork of the Frazer R. Went up the Frazer past New Westminister and up the Pitt R to Pitt Lake. Passed the stern wheeler Sargent Preston in Pitt River. Went back down the Frazer a bit and anchored in a back channel. Float plane took off in the morning and scared the crap out of me .. right over my boat at full power using a high thrust prop.

Spent a lazy day going downriver amazed at all the commercial trafic. Especially one tug that was rolling a lot for no appearent reason. The next day I fouled a plug heading for Sand Heads but managed to make it back to Ladner. Fixed the plug problem and had a good long run home. First cruise and one of the best.

What do you consider 'Cruising'? I have a buddy that have a huge set of criteria for what he wants in his 'perfect boat'. The problem is, he is so set in it, that nothing else will do. As a result he has NO BOAT.

I would love to cruise fill time, however I'm 44 years old and the admiral and I need to work to pay bills while we fund the retirement plan.

We 'cruise' 1 to 2 weeks a year and take as many long weekends as we can. We're on the water from Friday night until Sunday afternoon every single weekend. We arrive, load the boat, cast lines and set Anchor on Friday night, then pull it and head back to the dock every sunday.

Am I 'cruising'? Probably not, but I'm getting out there the best I can. I try to balance life decisions with boating. I treat the cost of boating as a NEED, not a WANT. I have a retaining wall leaning over and will topple is a few years. When it does, i'll deal with it. This sun is shining and its summer, the lines are getting cast and it is what it is.

What do you consider 'Cruising'? I have a buddy that have a huge set of criteria for what he wants in his 'perfect boat'. The problem is, he is so set in it, that nothing else will do. As a result he has NO BOAT.

I would love to cruise fill time, however I'm 44 years old and the admiral and I need to work to pay bills while we fund the retirement plan.

We 'cruise' 1 to 2 weeks a year and take as many long weekends as we can. We're on the water from Friday night until Sunday afternoon every single weekend. We arrive, load the boat, cast lines and set Anchor on Friday night, then pull it and head back to the dock every sunday.

Am I 'cruising'? Probably not, but I'm getting out there the best I can. I try to balance life decisions with boating. I treat the cost of boating as a NEED, not a WANT. I have a retaining wall leaning over and will topple is a few years. When it does, i'll deal with it. This sun is shining and its summer, the lines are getting cast and it is what it is.

Let's go swimming!!
Swim straight out 100 yards, turn and come back (or?)
Swim out to 6 foot depth. roll onto back and FLOAT
Put on face-mask and fins (maybe wetsuit and weights), then submerge.

Not all swimming?

Ted

Let's go swimming!!
Swim straight out 100 yards, turn and come back (or?)
Swim out to 6 foot depth. roll onto back and FLOAT
Put on face-mask and fins (maybe wetsuit and weights), then submerge.

Not all swimming?

Ted

It beets sitting on the beach (or my deathbed) wishing I had done something, regretting having done nothing.

Or are you saying that it's all for naught and why bother trying? Has the time been wasted in your eyes?

Nope.
What I'm saying is:
Get in there, do it whatever way you can that suits you and your abilities.
Enjoy it. Every time will be different if you pay attention to the details
surrounding you.
Make the most of what is available!!!!

Ted

It's never too late to live happily ever after.

First, as to boating, often in a fashion very similar to cruising. I started boating in my own boat rather than parent's in 1983 at the age of 13. First boat was a 17' Sea Ray and I've owned a boat since then. My wife started in 2001, the year we married. She was 21 when we met, 22 when we married.

So, boating to us was Lake Norman in NC.

We made a rather sudden decision in June of 2012 to leave our jobs, mostly retire, move to Fort Lauderdale. We started cruising in October. I turned 42 that October, she was 33. When we started it was full speed ahead and we spend an average of 240 days a year on cruises of some distance but then we spend another 40 to 50 days cruising locally.

We came in knowing nothing about coastal or ocean boating beyond our desire to do it. The biggest boat either of us had "cruised" on was a 30' Cobalt Bowrider. We both went to Maritime school, we hired a captain to train us, and our current licenses are 200 Ton Near-Coastal. Our first licenses were 25 Ton Inland.

We're truly fortunate and blessed to have the opportunity at a relatively young age. It's not something we anticipated, but the day we realized that we could, we did. Our dreams had nothing to do with the kind of cruising we do. We hoped to retire by my 55th birthday but our idea of retirement cruising was the Tennessee River. We'd made one trip there with an acquaintance and we thought it was just like our lake life but you could go on and on, so much further. Nothing at that time in our imagination extended beyond the Tennessee, Cumberland, and TN Tom.

We absolutely love seeing the world from the water. We love being on the water. We like the destinations but we like the trip there. We have no desire whatsoever to travel by land or plane. Planes are just to carry you back to the boat. I've always loved the water and my wife says it was contagious. I can't explain it well, but it was always the one place that all the stress of life went away. It was me, my boat, and the water. What was going on at home or school or work didn't matter.

Yes, we do some work today from the boat, but we basically say, "that's fine, you handle it" or "great news" and the moment we hang up the phone or close the program, it's out of our minds. We very carefully compartmentalize our time too. We don't take business calls. (Will take an emergency call obvious, but haven't had one). We do schedule times we'll call and talk. We don't check our business email until night, normally from bed.

I traded a car for my first boat back in the 1970's. Lots of memorable times of cruising the Salish sea for up to a month at a time.

Attachments

• my boat (2).jpg
    my boat (2).jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 68
if cruising means getting rid of the dirt house and moving full time, it probably won't happen for us. However, we bought our first boat in 1985 and have spent every spring, summer and fall weekend aboard and moving. We have also spent between 2-3 weeks every year in the Caribbean since 1977 (me since 1969). I'm 66 now and just gave my boss notice on Wednesday that i'm going to hang it up this year and spend more time on the boat. I feel blessed to have spent 46 years on the water. just not continuously. One year ago today i had the first of several operations for throat cancer. Had I waited until now to start boating I would have missed out on a lot of past experience and memories.
John
2003 MS390

Coming from a family of Boat builders, operators and Merchant Marine Masters gave me a different perspective.

My Dad died at 66. One of his wishes (of course he owned boats, he built many) was to be able to retire and putter around on a boat and enjoy the Grandkids. He never saw that. I am determined to enjoy that.

I am spending my 35 year Tug career operating boats for others. When I turned 50 I realized I didn't want to be 'like my Dad' in this respect. I also saw several friends die. I wanted to take the time to smell the roses. (as well as the bilge, Varnish, the MSD tank, etc etc etc) I also wanted to enjoy the Grandkids while they are still of the opinion that 'Nana and Papa' are way cool, before they get too old to want to hang around with us.

Your post sort of reminded me why I went on a boat hunt 4 years ago. My only regret was not doing it when my kids were younger so we could all enjoy it. Of course, the income didn't support it back then, so it's a wash.

Having only owned this trawler since last May, I have confirmed her usefulness, and the Grandkids zeal in coming with us (even if just a day trip to Marthas Vineyard for Ice Cream and beach.) They ask to come on Papa's boat. They like to fish. We all have fun, cook out and make s'mores. I want to make sure they remember the fun times on Papa's boat, into adulthood. And I want to have some interesting weekends aboard with Momma, just doing our thing around Cape Cod, the Islands, and maybe even down east when I have time. Having brought her on a 930 mile delivery when we bought her (12 days total) My wife came for the second half. I wasn't really sure if she would like it on the boat. She's a believer now.

Yeah. I'm glad I did it. We do have to make decisions as we get older (note, I didn't say more mature!) Sometimes they cost money. Other times they just cost memories. Hopefully you can look back on it and recall the 'right' decisions. Bring the Gks along.

When? Well, I did hit the log book (obliquely) at conception. Dismal Swamp Canal if you're curious, and it was very cold. I suppose my creation began the fires eh?

The story of Daddy is found in this article:
janice142 article The Fishing Boat

Born aboard too -- forward berth, in Florida.

I didn't start running our boat until I was ten. Going through the bridge just north of Palatka heading up the river. We were going to haul out and then further south to play with manatees. Oh yes, and avoid water moccasins.

That boat we kept and only sold her when Mother's Alzheimer's mandated same. Our boat, as much as I loved her, she was a couple boat. It took two to dock her safely -- and yes I know some of y'all could do it. I could not and knowing my limitations... well, plus I wanted a smaller boat.

That folks look over their life especially when contemporaries pass on is a given. Where are we? Did we accomplish "enough" and what do we want next?

I knew a boat was in my future when I brought Mother to the house. At one time I thought NorSea27 -- with dreams of an ocean crossing to the south Pacific and beyond. Then cancer and the realization that I wasn't getting any stronger.

Finally, I came back to power. My favorite parts of living on the boat was not passages. That's just keeping her on a compass course, and open ocean no matter what the poets say... well, after 15k at the helm of our boat, I want coastal and nothing fancy for me for now.

Then came the decision of what boat? I knew for me small was best. It's less costly for everything from size of equipment to amount of bottom paint.

Too, I'm broke. Always have been... lived below the poverty level most of my married and all of my single life. I was "smart" and bought bank stock. Then TARP happened. (insert bad words, in multiple languages)

Apparently Orion (and specifically that so-and-so Jerry Williams who PERSONALLY sold me the damn stock along with Bill King and another fellow) ... well, anyway, when the banks collapsed my "cruising kitty" vanished.

And too I wasn't smart... had bought Seaweed on a credit card because I had the stock to back me up. I'm still recovering. Such is life.

Still, I truly am fortunate. My dream has come true.

It needs tweaking. The new mechanic was here and has recommended a riser (such as most advocated) to be made for me. Or off the shelf. Re-reading the tractor thread is harrowing. It's informative. There's a lot of strong opinions and sometimes I need time to assimilate all.

Resistance is futile. Etc. (Hey, I'm a trekkie)

My goal, is to get this doggone engine up and running. Then puttering around. Nothing fancy... no long term destination planned, though I do intend to go down to the island just east/north of Channel Five in the Florida Keys. I left son there and need to go back again.

But from there? Just further. The folks with "Big Plans" often don't. The reality is different than the imagination. And boating is work.

Cruising means you are totally in charge of your vessel. You must get her to port. Your navigation skills are important. Is that sound "normal" or is something breaking? It's stressful.

Too, alone there's no one to share the experience. I'd like to cruise in tandem just to be able to share the stuff I see. Back when I had Bob available, I called him while underway.

He became my de facto cruising partner. I miss him.

His piece, and everyone teetering on the brink might find it helpful is here:
janice142 article Time Stopped

Shrew: see above. And point your buddy to it too.

Don't wait. Even if your first boat isn't ideal, you can make her better.

I anchor in the same spots the high dollar yachts anchor. Except I'm closer to shore because my draft is less. They have the amenities -- ice (be still my heart) and water (wish list) however our experiences are similar.

Eventually though, with enough time, my Seaweed will have more. She's already far better than at purchase. Except for the engine fiasco and that's being resolved.

Once my engine runs I'll be puttering about on week days. Never on weekends as the Weekend Warriors are out in full force. I'll tuck into some of the interesting nooks around here and south.

I have no plans though.

The folks with plans, all too often get afraid. They fall into the bottle (alcoholism is prevalent in males, and some females too -- especially the soloists) and that's all she wrote.

My advice, if you're asking is to buy a boat that is capable of comfort -- whatever level you deem necessary. And don't do anything dramatic or requiring skill for a while. Use her locally.

Go to the local restaurant with a dock out back. Stop by the American Legion with a dock. Go "around the corner" and anchor by a beach. Take short hops and be a Tourist.

If you're like most folks you've not seen the places in your own back yard. Why not visit them via boat? Try not to be too ambitious at first until you've gotten your feet webbed.

And most of all, make sure you all have a good time. Short days. Relaxing times at anchor or in a marina. It doesn't have to be fancy to be fun.

I've rambled. OffDuty: don't wait. Not too long anyway.

Introspection is good if it doesn't develop into a fear of failure. The only certain way to fail is to never try.

And yes, as soon as Seaweed runs again, I'll take her over to a restaurant for that lunch you and your bride mentioned. I'm hungry, and hope you both like my home.

She's not perfect. Heck at thirty years of age all of us, excluding Wifey B, had some dings. So too does Seaweed.

Good one Janice, you're doing it the way, your way, that a lot of us won't. Hope the engine issue is settled in short order so you can get moving again.
Mike

Janice, so many good thoughts to agree with. Well spoken too.

Tom and I bought Skinny Dippin' (1) as a beach house that could be mobile in 2009, at 44 years old. One of the first months we learned of the winter migration. I asked a guy fueling a sailboat, "where ya going in this nasty weather?". "The Bahamas", he says. I turned to Tom and said, "I wanna do THAT!!"

This next boat might actually take us there. Someday.......

Last edited:
I've been "around" boats since I could walk. My mother would put me in a harness and on a leash and take me for walks on the docks in Sausalito, back then a sleepy fishing and railroad town, not the upmarket, overpriced place it is now. We lived a block back from the waterfront so the shore and the docks were the logical places to take me along with the big (to me) railroad yard in Tiburon, another of my favorite places.

First actual boating experience was in Lake Michigan where I learned to teach canoeing, drive a barrel-backed Chris Craft towing water skiers, and sailing little boats called "Snipes."

Fast forward to Hawaii when I got out of college and started working in television production. Started ocean fishing with the fellow who owned the flying school where I did all my flying over there and sailing inter island with friends with sailboats large enough to deal with the water over there.

Fast forward again to Washington State where my wife and I bought our first boat when I was in my late 30s. Been boating these waters ever since as well as running narrowboats in the British Canals on vacations.

My mother grew up during the Depression, and a like a lot of Depression-era folks lived assuming that it was just a matter of time before it came back. So despite her desire to travel abroad and do a lot of other stuff she could never bring herself to take what she saw as too great of a financial risk. So she died not doing a lot of the things she'd hoped to do.

My wife and I do not adhere to that philosophy. While we are fiscally conservative, we don't believe in putting things off until the day when we can "afford it and have the time" because it's too easy to convince oneself that that time hasn't quite arrived yet. And then one day it will be too late.

We have not been foolish with our money but we've got into floatplane flying, canal boating in Europe, boating here and abroad, and a host of other activities as early as possible, sometimes making a bit of a monetary stretch to do it albeit never an overly risky one.

We have a lot more things we want to do. We only go around once here and while we know we can't see and experience everything, we would like to see and experience as many of the things that interest us as we possibly can.

I don't want to leave this place thinking about the things I wish we'd done, I want to head out to whatever's next thinking about all the cool things we did do.

A big reason I've been able to experience what I've experienced so far is my wife. She is a willing participant in everything we've done, from flying up and down the Inside Passage more times than we can remember, to camping out on the shore of a remote lake deep in the BC Coast Range dealing with bears who wanted to share our dinner, to boating and fishing, sometimes in some pretty harrowing water conditions, to waking me up early one morning to strong winds and waves to tell me that we were dragging into a trestle and we might ought to do something about it, and then running the boat while we did. She's operated countless manual locks on the British canals, she likes working on the boat, particularly removing old finish with a heat gun, and the list goes on.

I tend to get all pessimistic and panic initially when something bad happens (the French in me). She keeps her wits about her and panics later when the crisis is over. It's a pretty good combination.:)

Before I met her she was involved in car racing and owned a couple of airplanes. So she's not unfamiliar with the need to think and react fast. The US Navy taught her to navigate and interpret charts, and she's better at it than I am (and I'm pretty good at it) and her eyes are fabulous: she sees stuff miles away before I can even discern it.

She can be as nervous and apprehensive as anyone, but she's never not tried something.

The point of all this is regardless of one's age or financial status, if one decides to get into something like boating it makes a HUGE difference in my opinion if one has a partner that is equally enthusiastic about it. We know boating couples where the wife is less than enthusiastic about it and "goes along" with it for the social aspect (aka being at the dock with other boaters) and to keep her husband happy. It seems to work, more or less, for them but it's not the way I'd want to participate in an activity.

If you have a good partner, anything becomes doable.

Last edited:
I got the taste in my early teens. My stepfather had a 28 foot aft cabin cruiser that the whole family loved. We spent every available summer day there. Most of the time we didn't go far from home. We'd anchor off the beach or go tubing. We'd run to the other side of the lake for dinner, or cruise down the canal toward nowhere in particular.

One or two weeks a year, we'd take a trip somewhere. We cruised the Finger Lakes, the Erie Canal, Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence. I couldn't get enough of it. I loved it so much that I decided I'd make a career out of it.

I've been a boat owner for two delightfully maddening years now. My cruising grounds are largely the same as when I was a kid, but I'm always trying to expand outward, to go someplace new.

At 31, I realize that I'm extremely lucky to be able to enjoy the joys and frustrations of having a boat. Most people can't, and those who can usually have to wait years longer than I have.

Back
Top Bottom