Barge passing etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I need to brush up on my barge passing skills. I've passed a few that have been pretty straightforward port to port oncoming pass situations on straight sections.

I've tried to hail the tug by the name shown on AIS to ask if they want me to do something special, but have yet to get an answer. Have tried on channel 13 and 16.

Am I doing it wrong?

We pass port-to-port unless it looks like it won't work, staying on the starboard side of the channel. We try to time the passing where's there is less risk, avoiding tight channel curves.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv36497%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3%3B4%3A794637336nu0mrj

I need to brush up on my barge passing skills. I've passed a few that have been pretty straightforward port to port oncoming pass situations on straight sections.

I've tried to hail the tug by the name shown on AIS to ask if they want me to do something special, but have yet to get an answer. Have tried on channel 13 and 16.

Am I doing it wrong?

Channel 13 is usually monitored on the bridge of commercial boats. I usually get an answer on 13. Most appreciate a heads up on your passing plan. I will say that something to watch out for is the pusher will usually swing wide rather quickly in any kind of sharp bend. Just be aware, and look for clear areas to pass.

Am I doing it wrong?

Where? As Don pointed out on the ICW and Atlantic coastal...you will usually get them on 16/13.

If around Tampa bay maybe they were up/conversing with Vessel Traffic Services?

It was around Pensacola.

I'll keep trying to call them on 13/16.

No problems yet.

Dang, Mobile Bay is ugly. I feel like I'm back in Texas.

?

Where are you going to anchor tonight ? Ship Island maybe?

There's a good anchorage inside Horn Island.

Not sure. I'm not due in Nola until the 25th so no big rush.

Definitely anchoring. I'll check those two out.

I'm not going ashore. Don't want to haul the dingy off the roof. ?

Any trick to crossing the Mobile Bay shipping channel, or do I just "floor it" and get up to 8 knots?

???

Never had a problem crossing in a sailboat at 4-5 knots.

I had an interesting situation in April somewhere in the Inside Passage in BC. I was taking a long sweeping right hand curve and there was a tug and tow coming the other way. At first glance it looked like we could easily pass port to port. But I also had this feeling that the tug was swinging out wide in order to cut back in and take the corner on the inside. At least something didn't feel "right" and I was concerned. I saw the tug on AIS and called it by name on 16. The captain immediately came back and without being asked replied "Request you pass red to red, cap'n" - I confirmed (starboard to starboard) and then immediately another tug behind came on the radio and made the same request. As I moved left in the channel and the tug cut across it went from seeming wrong to seeming right. It's hard to describe but it was a new passing situation for me and I didn't have the experience to know how it would all play out.

That was a long-winded way of saying I encountered at least two tugs who responded on channel 16 :thumb:

Richard

Around here it usually goes something like this for passing a tow named RIO
I don't have AIS yet so get the name off the transom, And, If west of the Mississippi, hail on 13.
"Rio, this is Gumbo, the pleasure boat astern calling" when he answers I say "Captain I'd like to pass you when it is convenient , what side do you prefer?" If there is a reason he wants to wait he'll say so, but, usually answer "come by on the one (or two) whistle" Passing or meeting the "One" means you will veer to and pass on the right, starboard, side. If he tells you to come by on the "two" you will be left, port side. He may say come by on either side, tell him which one you will use. After the operation give them a thanks and "have a good day captain" others will be listening too.
Usually, around here, if meeting in a straight, wide channel they will usually expect you to just go on by port to port maybe won't even reply, but I'd always call when overtaking.
The tow captains are usually friendly and will answer questions, but, they have rough days and might be grumpy once in a while. Big wakes can bother them too, be careful of that. Always make sure you have plenty of room to pass at a speed that you won't be kicking up too big a wake.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for that info everyone.

Just crossed the Mobile ship channel. Going to try to figure out where to anchor in a few hours.

Last edited:
I always talk to the tows, sometimes they need to do some strange (to some boaters) things. AIS helps to call them by name. First one I meet I the morning I always ask who is behind him so I can call them by name.

Try south side of dauphin island behind golf course. We use it all the time. Active captain shows them too. Northwest end of dauphin island also good but pretty open. Should have good bottom though

Try south side of dauphin island behind golf course. We use it all the time. Active captain shows them too. Northwest end of dauphin island also good but pretty open. Should have good bottom though

I was looking at that on AC. Thought about continuing on but it's getting close to Rum-thirty.

Edit:

Oh wait. It's only 3pm.

What about Petit Bois? Looks interesting. Should be there around 5ish.

Last edited:
I was looking at that on AC. Thought about continuing on but it's getting close to Rum-thirty.

Edit:

Oh wait. It's only 3pm.

What about Petit Bois? Looks interesting. Should be there around 5ish.
Rum thirty sounds good , had me some Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva last night and gonna have some more tonight and toast your crossing Mobil Ship Channel .

Passing barges?

We don't pass them .. they pass us. And we get the hell out of the way.

"Request you pass red to red, cap'n" - I confirmed (starboard to starboard)

Red is port. Green is starboard. It refers to your sidelights. Tows use it a lot, as well as "one the 1 or on the 2" Glad you made it OK!

Until you get through the industrial lock, use change 16. West of the lock (as Steve said) is ch13. The coast guard is trying to get the tows to stick to channel 13 but it hasn't happened yet.

Pettit bois can be a bit tricky finding the actual anchorage. Not sure what your draft is. We've avoided it so far but probably a good anchorage

Last edited:
Petit Bois is nice and good holding but I have not been there post Katrina.

When I first got LUNASEA and passing a tow, I went on the wrong side that I was told to go by the captain. He came back to me and told me the mistake I made, then told me to remember this" It is like driving a car, on the ONE stay in your lane, on the TWO pass as if you are in the car,"

Red is port. Green is starboard. It refers to your sidelights. Tows use it a lot, as well as "one the 1 or on the 2" Glad you made it OK!

Good catch! He said "green to green" - I got confused when I wrote it. I definitely went the correct way :)

Shouldn't be a problem then at Pettit bois. Looks like a good weather night too. I'm just partial to behind the isle DAUPHINE golf course. Pretty and protected with 10-12' on south side of cove.

Are Canadian lights reversed from USA lights? I noticed in Europe the "red right return" thingy is reversed to "green right return". Same in Canada?

The main thing here is communication between the tug and you. If the tow captain knows your on the radio with him, thats half the battle. Many tow captains will give passing arrangements in two step explanations because they want no confusion. "Ill see you on one whistle, port to port" covers those recreational boaters who know the rules of the road and those who are unsure or don't know without insulting either group.
I can't speak to the GIWW tows or western rivers. Most of my inland work is in NY, Hudson river or long Island sound. What scares me and other tug operators is close approaches by rec boaters when there is no communications. I have no problem with 1500' Of wire out if a rec boater wants to check out our tow, as long as I know he is aware. Sounds elementary here, but it is REAL in my world. If I have a ship in tow, its like a magnet for pleasure boaters.

The main thing here is communication between the tug and you. If the tow captain knows your on the radio with him, thats half the battle. Many tow captains will give passing arrangements in two step explanations because they want no confusion. "Ill see you on one whistle, port to port" covers those recreational boaters who know the rules of the road and those who are unsure or don't know without insulting either group.
I can't speak to the GIWW tows or western rivers. Most of my inland work is in NY, Hudson river or long Island sound. What scares me and other tug operators is close approaches by rec boaters when there is no communications. I have no problem with 1500' Of wire out if a rec boater wants to check out our tow, as long as I know he is aware. Sounds elementary here, but it is REAL in my world. If I have a ship in tow, its like a magnet for pleasure boaters.

When carrying a film crew to film a Weeks tug/barge dumping subway cars off Delaware...asked to cut his bow and the tug capt responded he was so used to little boats cut under his bow...he really just gave up caring what happened...

But he knew me and may have embellished a bit....:D...maybe not...:eek:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom