OA Mark II extension.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
I'm curious about the 4 foot extension to the OA 50 Mark II as I have seen a few of them now.

It seems like a lot of expense just to gain some fish cleaning or martini space and I wonder if the main reason is to eliminate an undesirable handling condition.

I have read the posts here on the Mark I but it doesn't really get into the "why."

Comments???

Well for me, using my boat in eastern Australia's temperate to sub tropical waters, it was all about getting additional outdoor area while improving access to both the water and to the boat itself. It was good to pick up a little speed and gain another 500 litres (132 gallons) water storage too. No impact on handling & nothing undesirable to correct, These are above average build quality boats with great internal configurations and Ed Monk hulls & are seen as "keepers" worth investing in by many owners.

Thanks for your feedback Aquabelle.
I am familiar with the brand. There are Ed Monk Sr. and Jr. vessels all over these west coast waters; both pleasure and work boats including many one off customs. I was/am just curious about the reasons for the extension on this particular boat.

I gather yours is not the Mark II 50 footer??

Attached are a few photos that may help explain. The original transom, which had a duck-board and a vertical ladder to the cockpit: difficult to negotiate. Then my boarding platform/hull extension, which added 7' overall, provided easy step access, additional storage and a very usable boarding platform. There is a water tank under the boarding platform within the hull extension.

Then a photo of the vessel underway, before the bimini was replaced with a solid hardtop.

Aquabelle is a flush-deck motor yacht, one of only about 17 produced and marketed as an 'Ocean 50'. There are about 5 in the USA; another 5 in Europe; and around 7 in Australia. These seem to be the last of the Mk1 Ed Monk Snr hulls, made in early 1985. By the end of 1985, the Mk2 hull was in production: Shorter lived & not as well-regarded today. It is the Mk1 hull that you see most often in the USA with, typically, a 5' cockpit extension. There was an article about this hull and the extension in PassageMaker around 2004, if my memory serves right. Aquabelle was re-powered in 1998 with twin 370hp Cummins 6BTA 5.9's and given a complete interior and engine room re-fit in 2009.

Attachments

• Original Marlin Board.jpg
    Original Marlin Board.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Aquabelle Boarding Platform.jpg
    Aquabelle Boarding Platform.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Beam View Before Hardtop.jpg
    Beam View Before Hardtop.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 141
Ok, now we are on the same page. I have not seen the flush deck and was referring, to the pilothouse version. That's why I was confused. The Mark I and II Pilothouse were and still are quite popular here on the NA West Coast as they are well suited to our climate, sea conditions and year round cruising.

Thanks for the pictures; nice work and for setting me straight.

For clarity: the Mk 1 hull is un-changed irrespective of what the deckhouse arrangements are (flush or pilot house). And the cockpit is the same.

Not so sure about that as every Mark 1 I have seen has had a transom door, unlike yours.

These are above average build quality boats with great internal configurations and Ed Monk hulls & are seen as "keepers" worth investing in by many owners.
I've been playing with all kinds of boats since 1995 & consider this model OA to be one of the best I've ever seen. When traveling in Alaska & BC, you see them quite often.(MK 1s, that is.)

Codger2;
Short and sweet, nice, thanks.
So, you didn't slew you way across Queen Charlotte Sound or through Hecate Straight on the Mk I?

How about the Mark II? Have you "played" with it in the same waters?

Thanks again for the comments.

So, you didn't slew you way across Queen Charlotte Sound or through Hecate Straight on the Mk I?

How about the Mark II? Have you "played" with it in the same waters?
Hawg; I've never cruised aboard a MK1 or 2. I've been aboard an MK1 in SE Alaska but only to tour her. Since I'm an Ocean Alexander freak, I've researched just about everything they ever built and the MK1, I think, had the biggest impact on the company. The MK I was Alex's first entry in the "bigger boat" market. There are a lot of great boats out there and everyone has their favorite but Ocean Alexander steals my heart. I'm presently on my 2nd one.:dance:

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 117
Thread drift alert

Walt your boat looks so much better with that rhib off the foredeck.

Thread drift alert

Walt your boat looks so much better with that rhib off the foredeck.
I think so, too. Except for a Catalina run once a year, we don't use it and it's just another thing to maintain.

Attachments

• Dinghy...Before & After.jpg
    Dinghy...Before & After.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 123
It's a shame they made a business decision to exit the trawler and small boat market. We feel grateful to have the last one they built. Ed Monk says this was his favorite boat he ever designed for them and it reminds him fondly of the MkI's and II's

I hope you all are enjoying yours as much as we are ours!

Was yours a typical bow installation and what was required to make it good?
The OP had the dinghy cradle made after he took ownership of the boat. Was that your question?

Thanks Codger2 but I was wondering what repairs were needed to the deck after removing the cradle.
None, as I've retained the cradle in case I get a brain fart and want to buy a new dinghy.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
But...supposing you decided to remove it, big job, small job, costly, not at all job?
Small job....just unscrew the feet of the cradle (unless they're through bolted) and remove the cradle. Seal the holes with epoxy, fiberglass, etc. The biggest PITA is what do you do with the cradle? Where do you store it for the next owner? That's one reason I left mine on. It might also be a plus when it's time to sell.:blush:

Incidentally, I had a boat of the same model & vintage you are looking at. Both my wife and I say it's the best boat we ever had. (Until the 2006 showed up, that is!)

Attachments

• Dinghy...Before & After.jpg
    Dinghy...Before & After.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Small job....just unscrew the feet of the cradle (unless they're through bolted) and remove the cradle. Seal the holes with epoxy, fiberglass, etc. The biggest PITA is what do you do with the cradle? Where do you store it for the next owner? That's one reason I left mine on. It might also be a plus when it's time to sell.:blush:

Gotcha, thanks.

None, as I've retained the cradle in case I get a brain fart and want to buy a new dinghy.

True, Walt. It's difficult to figure out what to do with the empty space. This was the only thing Don could figure out to do with it.

Attachments

• Don's bow girls.jpg
    Don's bow girls.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 95
Incidentally, I had a boat of the same model & vintage you are looking at. Both my wife and I say it's the best boat we ever had. (Until the 2006 showed up, that is!)

Thanks Codger2.
Always nice to hear from a happy owner; current or past.
I've been an OA fan since the Mark II hit the water and although I have waffled back and forth, I keep coming back to OA for our waters.

Would love to have a 55 Fleming but obviously it would need to be named Lottery. Grand Banks 42 Classic has appeal but for the same money I can go with an OA 42 that's 10 years newer and I have also always preferred sedans.

That one I linked is just up the road from you and at least the listing makes it look good.

I won't likely go down there but, maybe if you have the time and patients, you could look over the specs and suggest what you might add or throw away?? Your input would then apply to any similar OA.

If you PM your thoughts that would be great. If not, hey, no harm asking, right.

Much appreciated.
Tim.

True, Walt. It's difficult to figure out what to do with the empty space. This was the only thing Don could figure out to do with it.
I knew it! I just knew it! People in Tenn always told me that Don is a "sweet talker." :blush:

Last edited:
That one I linked is just up the road from you and at least the listing makes it look good.
I have no plans to be in Huntington Beach until September but if the boat is still for sale I'll try and get aboard it. (There's the Lido Boat Show just south of HB in Newport Beach and I always go to it.)

After re reading the listing, there's not much I would change. I saw no mention of a modern chart plotter and the radar is ancient. I would definitely change those out.

When you have the opportunity to actually spend a few nights aboard an Ocean Alexander 42 Sedan, you ask yourself "why" did OA discontinue building that model?

1994 Ocean Alexander 42 Sedan Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Attachments

• OA 42.jpg
    OA 42.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom