Ford Lehman Parts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
Hi folks. I am considering buying a 1985 OA that has twin Lehman 135s. I am concerned about parts availability. I looked at American Diesel's website - it has broken links and talks about the owner's health issues. Am I safe in buying a boat with FL 135s?

I think you'e safe and I'm not just saying that because I have one. :) I'd also look at Bomac Marines web site.

Bomac Marine- Ford Lehman Engines, Parts, Tanks, Phaser Generators and Service

American Diesel has great support via telephone. I agree a fair web site and they're not so good about emails either. The owner, Bob Smith, is getting up there in years but his son Brian will answer any question you have over the phone.

Heat exchangers, injectors, hoses, oil coolers and marine gear coolers are all available for the SP135. The heat exchangers are less than $500/each, manufactured by Seakamp and sold by many retailers.

We have over 8K hours on our SP135 and it has never failed us. How is the rest of the boat?

Thanks Larry, that's very helpful (this is a great forum!) I will actually see the boat in person tomorrow, but she looks in great shape in her pictures. She is an OA 38 here in Toronto.

American Diesel has every part for the Sp135 plus Brian is really helpful and has helped me sort out a number of issues.

In spending time with the customer on the phone, his priorities are well placed.
THere are billions of web sites out there that look slick as snot and that's all they are worth.

American Diesel more than does the job. I will be using them as long as I am able.

I just ordered 2 L120 updated raw water pumps from AD, with Brian Smith. I bought from them before and will buy from them again.
fredwarner1 on Ebay can supply Lehman cooling system parts at competitive pricing. He is good to deal with as well.
They have to ship to Australia, which adds another layer of difficulty as a supplier. Well done to both.

Thanks for the feedback folks. Much appreciated.

If you need engine internals, including injectors check farm supply stores as thousands of these went into tractors.

If you need engine internals, including injectors check farm supply stores as thousands of these went into tractors.
True, I bought a freshwater circulation pump from Wagga Wagga Tractor Supply in NSW. They had a list of all the trucks and tractors the base Ford Dorset engine went into,it was a long list.

Industrial Engines Annacis Island BC

England is the place to look for Ford 2700 parts

Being from Australia, I found the American Lehman parts suppliers expensive when compared to the UK Dorset & Dover suppliers.

For example in the US you can pay US$98.00 for a fuel lift pump on sale.
Bomac Marine- Parts on Sale and Specials

While Asap-supplies have them for UK$23.48 (US$36.38) as a non-discounted price, go figure.
Fuel Lift Pump Ford Thornycroft

For the ASAP Supplies website just search for "Dorset" or "Dover"

Another excellent source for Ford 2700 engine parts is Lancing Marine who specialized in doing the English bowman based marine conversion of the Ford 2700 engines.

Welcome to Lancing Marine

Hope this helps,

Jim

Hi Bruce K and all,

I'm in a situation where I know I have issues with my ford lehman 80hp heat exchangers. Locally in Perth I have been quoted about AUD1,000 just to have them cleaned and pressure tested.

I see you can buy new exchangers in the USA for about AUD650 ea.

My diesels have done 3200hrs.

Would I be best to order a new set from American Diesel? They have good reviews in this post and I live in Perth..

A shop in QLD has quoted 1k each and I do like the idea of local warranties etc, but I see they are the same manufacturer anyway..

cheers

American diesel are good, but last time it seemed to take time,but I think they were making parts for the updated raw water pumps.
I`ve bought cooling system parts from fredwarner1 who sells on ebay. Very responsive, displays commonsense,knows about our 10% tax over 1K, and quick despatch. My coolers,heat exchanger and oil and gearbox he supplied were Seakamp but cheaper than Seakamp`s price list. He also has exhaust angles. He sent some gaskets to our Seattle Hotel last year, they arrived the same day we did. I think Lehman recommends new oil and tranny coolers at 2000 hours, they are not expensive, so best do them too. Search Lehman parts on ebay, that will find him. He responds to messages.
For now think about the cost effectiveness of keeping orders under $1000 AUD, to not incur 10% tax,though that exemption finishes in, I think,July.
Get a quote to check whether, considering postage, it is cheaper to buy the Qld. hx coolers, though I expect they will charge freight on top.
I`ve used US Postal Service as the delivery carrier, competitive, everything has arrived as expected.

I just had my Lehman heat exchanger cleaned and tested for $40 at a radiator shop. It's less than an hour job.

Thanks so much Bruce K. Spoke to American Diesel and glad I did , they identified a number of interesting and unique points relating to my engines.. In fact they identified they were slightly different models to what I though I had!! A wealth of information...

Have since refitted the heat exchangers but since found a transmission fluid leak! bugger!!..

Back
Top Bottom