Which 8D AGM? Lifeline, Trojan, Haze, ...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QB

Vessel Name
Skookum Maru
Vessel Make
Ed Monk design #1924
It is time to replace my house bank, two 8D Lifeline AGM's.

Installed 2003, twelve years of service is pretty good, and I could replace with the same Lifeline GPL-8DL's. But they are kind of difficult to source here in western Canada, and so I've been looking at alternatives.

The Trojan 8D-AGM and the Haze HZB12-230 are available (and cheaper than Lifeline) but reviews are scarce.

Anybody out there in trawlerland have experience with those?

Thanks in advance...

Consider instead: Rolls, which happens to be a Canadian product and top flight quality.

I just bought three Deka 8D AGM's for $440 each plus tax here in Florida. The old ones were 8 year old Dekas.

I have had Lifelines and got about 8 years out of them too but quite a bit more expensive in my area.

Consider instead: Rolls, which happens to be a Canadian product and top flight quality.

George, thanks! I didn't want flooded and I didn't know Rolls Surrette did an 8D AGM, but they do and it looks very good on specs, warranty, and price.

The big advantage of AGM is their ability to accept a HUGE charge rate, IF you can provide it.

How do they get filled?

It is time to replace my house bank, two 8D Lifeline AGM's.

You might investigate 6 golf cart batteries. IIRC, that's the number that will fit in the same space as two 8Ds... and you'd end up with more amp-hours (around 660). Easier to shuffle each individual battery, and they're plates are apparently better designed for deep cycling.

Lifeline makes AGM versions, probably others do too.

-Chris

You might investigate 6 golf cart batteries. IIRC, that's the number that will fit in the same space as two 8Ds... and you'd end up with more amp-hours (around 660). Easier to shuffle each individual battery, and they're plates are apparently better designed for deep cycling.

-Chris

3 6 volt GC2's put in sideways are about an inch longer than an 8D, in reality a bit more than that. They're also 2" or 25% taller , which is another place the extra capacity comes from and the increase in overall weight. A Rolls or Lifeline AGM will have same deep cycle characteristic be it a GC2 or 8D. If you got the space and the money, (including the extensive re-cabling required) the 6 GC's are a great alternative.

Yup. I replaced 2 8Ds (450 AH bank) with 6 GCs (660 AH bank). That's a 47% increase from the same battery boxes. IIRC, my height difference was about an inch. It did require some recabling, but I was replacing the big cables at the same time anyways.

It was one of the best electrical improvements I made on my boat.

I use Deka's. If you go with them, do a search for a local Deka distributor. buy it directly from them. Once the anchor photo goes on it at a marine supply store the price goes up 50%
John

I just added 4-6 volt AGM batts for my bow thruster. (24 volt system)
They are "Full Rivers" and are highly touted in my area.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 75
The big advantage of AGM is their ability to accept a HUGE charge rate, IF you can provide it. How do they get filled?

I'm not particularly taking advantage of that. 75A shore power charger, 130A alternator when underway but with a dumb regulator, 400W solar on the hook.

But 8D AGM's are what's there now, they've been working very well, and with all the other stuff I've got going on I really don't need an electrical project too. So two new of the same, drop them in, done.

And they do have a few other advantages over flooded lead-acid...

"130A alternator when underway but with a dumb regulator,"

That is an easy cure.Not more than 30 min if the existing regulator is external.

And you spend enough time away from the dock to enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom