Installing a Purasan - what about the engine room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikeandboat

Vessel Name
Missing Link
Vessel Make
1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
Would like to install a Raritan Purasan in the engine compartment. This is on a
34' Albin with a single Cummins 210 HP engine and a 5 KW Kohler generator. Would the ambient temp be a problem? Raritan suggests not to exceed 120 F. May be borderline.

Would like to install a Raritan Purasan in the engine compartment. This is on a
34' Albin with a single Cummins 210 HP engine and a 5 KW Kohler generator. Would the ambient temp be a problem? Raritan suggests not to exceed 120 F. May be borderline.

Mine is located in the engine room. I would see no problem, but Raritan has a great tech support dept. Ask them to be sure.

Actually, I have spoken with Raritan and was told they were skeptical of engine compartment installations. That is why I posted here. I want to hear from real world installations. Have you cruised with this installation? No problems?

I do not have their modular unit, but use my 60 gal. holding tank. The processing unit, feed tank, and controller are in the engine room. No problems.

I think the first step would be to stick a thermometer down there and find out how hot it actually gets.
Did you ask Raritan what happens if the temperature is too high?

Mine is in engine room...no issues.

Then again large ER, lightly loaded single 120 Lehman with lots of airflow.

If an issue....I would build an lightly insulated box around it and the controls and feed it with a fresh air duct and a muffin fan or 110 fan which both might be able to be powered by the unit itself using the right terminals.

I'm not real familiar with the pros and cons of these systems. Can you educate me? I'm presently crawling all thru our boat trying to learn the black water system that was completely disabled while the boat lived on Lake Ontario for years. I'm not a fan of the way toilet, macerator, tank thing works.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 389
Peggie Hall got me dialed in and fully informed about the whole process, she is a gem!

Back
Top Bottom