Anchors aweigh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ranger,
That's almost funny about the old Max guy not lik'in the fact that they tested at 3-1. Many tests go to quite a lot of trouble to test at 3-1 because (IMO) they know a lot of boaters anchor at 3-1. Why else would they go to all that trouble. And the testers probably think it may sorta separate the men from the boys (so to speak). Probably 1/3 of anchor tests test at 3-1 scope .. but that's just a guess.

Looks to me like the Max, set right w the flukes, rode and all else at the right angles it could out perform (holding power wise) just about anything. I've heard quite a number of times from people in the business that holding power is directly portional to fluke area. I'll be looking fwd to seeing the max in "regular" anchor tests.

Last edited:
Tim, The Rocna is more of a scoop than a plow like the Delta. I haven't personally tried one as it won't fit on my pulpit. I'm going to replace my Delta with a Vulcan some time soon.

I've been selling Rocnas pretty well and Vulcans are starting to move but I still sell a lot of Deltas. I imagine they are all pretty good anchors.

I'm coming over to St. Pete in late August. Would you like me to bring one over for you to try? I'd bring a Vulcan also. The Vulcan would probably fit better than a Rocna.

Other anchors that may work well as a Delta replacement;

Spade
Super Max
Bruce (original) larger.
Manson Boss

Tim, The Rocna is more of a scoop than a plow like the Delta. I haven't personally tried one as it won't fit on my pulpit. I'm going to replace my Delta with a Vulcan some time soon.

I've been selling Rocnas pretty well and Vulcans are starting to move but I still sell a lot of Deltas. I imagine they are all pretty good anchors.

I'm coming over to St. Pete in late August. Would you like me to bring one over for you to try? I'd bring a Vulcan also. The Vulcan would probably fit better than a Rocna.
Thanks HopCar. We're still on the Chesapeake and won't be home till early next year. I still have confidence in my delta and this the first time it dragged. Opinions vary widely and the conditions were extreme.

Our boat had a Super Max on it when we bought it. It truly was an ugly anchor. Whatever id was on it was worn off and I could never figure out what kind it was. Now I know. It was about 110 lbs for a 48 ton boat. We never used it so I have no idea how effective they are.

... I still have confidence in my delta and this the first time it dragged. Opinions vary widely and the conditions were extreme.
There used to be a rule that the dog does not get banned from the house for farting once.

Ranger,
That's almost funny about the old Max guy not lik'in the fact that they tested at 3-1. Many tests go to quite a lot of trouble to test at 3-1 because (IMO) they know a lot of boaters anchor at 3-1. Why else would they go to all that trouble. And the testers probably think it may sorta separate the men from the boys (so to speak). Probably 1/3 of anchor tests test at 3-1 scope .. but that's just a guess.

Looks to me like the Max, set right w the flukes, rode and all else at the right angles it could out perform (holding power wise) just about anything. I've heard quite a number of times from people in the business that holding power is directly portional to fluke area. I'll be looking fwd to seeing the max in "regular" anchor tests.

I gather his beef was only about their setting technique, since he says elsewhere (I think) that reducing scope (as to 3:1) after properly setting is quite acceptable.

-Chris

I still have confidence in my delta and this the first time it dragged. Opinions vary widely and the conditions were extreme.

There used to be a rule that the dog does not get banned from the house for farting once.

:)

I think it's quite reasonable to continue working up here with the Delta in the meantime. Known issues can often be mitigated by technique, so we didn't jettison our Delta (on that previous boat) when it farted a couple times.

-Chris

I wish the new owners of SuperMax the best of success in the future. I am sure that our paths will cross one day soon, possibly while exhibiting at a boat show.

There can be no question that the capability of adjusting the shank / fluke to a wider angle position will dramatically increase an anchor's holding capability in a soft mud bottom.

In addition to Fortress and SuperMax, much larger anchor manufacturers such as Baldt, Bruce, the US Navy, and Vryhoff all make anchors with this feature.

FWIW, I'd be happy to be one of their early SuperMax repeat (so to speak) customers

I really do want to upsize to the Max17 pivoting 50-lb version recommended for our current boat weight/windage...

But that hasn't bubbled to the top of my wallet yet... and won't, for a while, unless somebody nearby would like a Max16 pivoting 44-lb version that we brought over from the previous smaller/lower boat.

Anybody in the upper Chesapeake area interested?

:)

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom