View Single Post
Old 07-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
dannc
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
In North Carolina, we in the winter get our weather from the N and W, so arctic blasts come down and hit us without any moderation from the sea. Not uncommon to get a few nights -10C and a few inches of snow a few times each season. My salt water boat basis gets ice sometimes. And we are close to same N. latitude as Los Angeles, Gibraltar and Isreal. Not much ice nor snow in those places.
This year and last were the coldest temperatures I have seen in NC. It is very unusual for us to get below 20F but this year we were down to 6F once or twice and 9F a few times. Last year was about the same but I think we only hit 6F once. Once is too much.

The last two years were bad with quite a bit of snow and ice. Thankfully, not enough to cause us power outages but enough to keep the kids out of school so that they had to go later in the year and on some Saturdays to make up for snow days.

Course, I can remember in the mid 70s when the Ohio River froze over a couple of times and we were being told it is time for the next ice age. Spent a lot of time out of school due to snow storms. We would run around in the woods and creeks having snow ball fights and sledding. Was not fun falling through the ice and getting wet though. Thankfully, the creek was shallow so you just got wet but by the time we would get home our jeans would be frozen. Crazy kids we were.

Heat has not been bad at all this year and we had a cool start to the summer.

We live in the country and I work in the city. In the city, I will constantly see 5-10F higher temperatures year round due to the heat island affect. So much cooler in the county.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote