I guess I don't have a "Trawler"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My boat is a fat old lady. Manatee and Seacow are appropriate descriptions. Jim Krogen sketched it while living in Key Biscayne a half dozen houses from where we lived, but when Key Biscayne was a simpler, lay-back kind of place. It's easy to imagine where the inspiration came from......Manatees abound, crystal waters, lazy days. It was the boat he designed for himself, never meaning it to be anything more than it is, a plump, full figured girl that manages to unobtrusively sidle its way from place to place without serving notice about it.

engine is indeed correct. I guess I'll ride my Harley engine cycle today.

The terms used locally are sailing vessel and motor vessel. I don't know if the bridge tenders care.

Power vessel would be more accurate.

Pleasure Craft is the appropriate legal term in Canada.

Pleasure craft must of been spun from some marketing guy in the 50's..it envokes the vision of some schmuck in a skippers hat with a martini in one hand and a tall brunette wearing a scarf smoking a cigarette with one of those long cig holders barreling along headed to the yacht club. Rarely do I distinguish what type the boat is ..just the name.. over the radio.

That beign said...as much work as most of our boats take I rarely think of it as a pleasure.
I guess if one is a boat masochist... oh wait...nevermind.

Hollywood

" It was the boat he designed for himself, never meaning it to be anything more than it is, a plump, full figured girl that manages to unobtrusively sidle its way from place to place without serving notice about it."
What a wonderful definition of the "Manatee!" :thumb::thumb:

Pleasure craft must of been spun from some marketing guy in the 50's..it envokes the vision of some schmuck in a skippers hat with a martini in one hand and a tall brunette wearing a scarf smoking a cigarette with one of those long cig holders barreling along headed to the yacht club. Rarely do I distinguish what type the boat is ..just the name.. over the radio.

:iagree:

I don't like the connotation "pleasure" in describing my boat. In choosing a description for my boat for USCG documentation purposes, I chose "recreational" among the options. There is no option for "pleasure." The USCG has it right.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/forms/cg1258.pdf

I think some of this "confusion" is about use versus type.

The generic type of all of these boats is "power-driven vessel" - according to the ColRegs / Nav Rules.

My USCG certificate does not specify a more specific type, but it does have "Recreational" operational endorsement (i.e. use).

But getting back to the marketing...aren't all of these vessels "yachts"? Purely recreational, permanent berths, et cetera. But I find it interesting that as relatively large vessels became owned by the middle class what I think most people consider a "yacht" is now something well over 50 feet. Or so it seems to me.

Anyway...the hull for my vessel was based on the C-Rover, an "Offshore Power Cruiser" of familiar tri-cabin (or bridgedeck cruiser) design (from "the Ferro-Cement Boat", copyright 1968.):

"Samson Marine was asked to produce a design in the Grand Banks style for the big power boat enthusiast..."​

This same book also has designs for a 37' Gillnetter, and a (wait for it)...54' Trawler C-Fisher that was:

"...commissioned for prawn trawling in Australia but is equally adaptable for bottom trawling, purse or drum seining and other specialized fishing. As one example, king crab fishermen are finding the ferro-cement hold can be used as a live tank to keep their catch in circulating salt water. C-Fisher was designed to meet the high requirements of Lloyds, the American Bureau of Shipping, and the Canadian Steamship Inspection."

My vessel has the large hold and forward RPH of the C-Fisher combined with the 44' hull of the C-Rover. In other words, my "trawler" is based on the Grand Banks design! :)

Last edited:
A motor is a machine that converts a form of energy into mechanical energy. It is not reserved for electric motors.

The word motor came into popular usage when diesel and gasoline engines became popular as engine generally meant a steam powered external combustion engine.

So the term motor boat originally meant a boat with an internal combustion heat engine.

:iagree:

I don't like the connotation "pleasure" in describing my boat. In choosing a description for my boat for USCG documentation purposes, I chose "recreational" among the options. There is no option for "pleasure." The USCG has it right.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/forms/cg1258.pdf

That's nice. I'm just relaying the legal term in Canada prescribed by the Canada Shipping Act, 2001.

Which is fine, because if you bring your boat to Canada, you will be a "foreign vessel".

There is a Manatee just down the dock from us. While I admit the view from pier side is, uh, unique. From onboard she is delightful!. If we ever get a chance to own one she will be christened "Seacow"!

I had one boat start as a "pleasure craft" or "recreational boat" and slowly evolve into a near full time job and a serious "displeasure craft"

My boat is a fat old lady. Manatee and Seacow are appropriate descriptions. It was the boat he designed for himself, never meaning it to be anything more than it is, a plump, full figured girl that manages to unobtrusively sidle its way from place to place without serving notice about it.

This makes me so happy... Haha.

Manatees are a bit odd, to me. I wouldn't say they're particularly beautiful vessels, and the layout is a bit wrong for me. I don't like the idea of having the only steering station being so far removed from the deck. Between that and the lack of full walk around side decks, it doesn't seem very single hander friendly.

Having said that, I've felt nothing but warmth and affection for them. Whenever I see one I just wanna give it a noogie and play fetch with it or something. They're just so charming and full of character.

Fat bottomed girls make the rockin' world go round, after all.

Don-what different direction?

Love those Fat Bottomed Girls!

It has been proven that women with big bottoms live longer than men who mention it.:)

That's Funny!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

My boat is a fat old lady. Manatee and Seacow are appropriate descriptions. Jim Krogen sketched it while living in Key Biscayne a half dozen houses from where we lived, but when Key Biscayne was a simpler, lay-back kind of place. It's easy to imagine where the inspiration came from......Manatees abound, crystal waters, lazy days. It was the boat he designed for himself, never meaning it to be anything more than it is, a plump, full figured girl that manages to unobtrusively sidle its way from place to place without serving notice about it.

Larry, over here it would be called a dugong… :D

Larry, just tell the bridge tender you're piloting a Bucky. When they ask what a Bucky is, just tell them it's like no other boat and they will know it when they see it.

Ted

Ted: Interestingly enough, there's enough fat gal Manatees doen here that most bridge tenders are familiar with them. The great majority of them address them as "trawlers", southbound trawler, northbound trawler, etc.. What a mistake, huh?

I was looking for the thread that Marin was participating in regarding what is a trawler and what is not.:socool: I became so distraught that I have changed my avatar to reflect being a 'Pocket Boat" from "Pocket Trawler".:blush: Tragic, I thought the rhythm of the term had a nice mental picture. However, wishing to be politically correct, I have willingly made the change.
Now, the other choices are coming out. However "Pocket Recreation" has connotations that are disturbing to say the least. "Pocket Pleasure" sort of fits in that disturbing category,:eek:
Enough to vote Democrat!!:banghead:

Al

I was looking for the thread that Marin was participating in regarding what is a trawler and what is not.:socool: I became so distraught that I have changed my avatar to reflect being a 'Pocket Boat" from "Pocket Trawler".:blush: Tragic, I thought the rhythm of the term had a nice mental picture. However, wishing to be politically correct, I have willingly made the change.
Now, the other choices are coming out. However "Pocket Recreation" has connotations that are disturbing to say the least. "Pocket Pleasure" sort of fits in that disturbing category,:eek:

Al

Wifey B: Well, it sure as heck won't fit in your pocket....

Al

Think "pocket trawler" is actually a good fit for your boat.

Ted

Ted: Interestingly enough, there's enough fat gal Manatees doen here that most bridge tenders are familiar with them. The great majority of them address them as "trawlers", southbound trawler, northbound trawler, etc.. What a mistake, huh?

What I have said all along...people in the know....know one when they see one.....

Always in agreement? No...but seemingly a lot more than the folks here in the "trawler" forum....:D

Okay O.C.Diver:smitten:, I am easily swayed!:thumb: Manyboats has not quibbled. so I will change it back. :hide:

Al

Change made!!

A solo pleasure craft?

You mean like this? Sorry, I couldn't help myself . . . . :D

cocktailclassracer_leadphoto.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom